Author Topic: Should Sentai Filmworks pick up Lupin III?  (Read 8266 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: Should Sentai Filmworks pick up Lupin III?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 05:14:00 pm »
This is kinda OT, but I just talked to someone who works in the industry, and she said the following about how anime projects get off the ground:

It's usually not the directors who choose the production studios, and directors don't do the direct hiring of staff. But the nature of the project usually determines who is most suitable to do the job....It starts off by who the producers know. Producers start off from being a runner, then move their way up, and in the process work with many animators. By the time the person becomes a producer, he/she would have a good working list of skilled staff. Then those who are hired will recommend others. So much of it depends on the artists' reputation and who the producer knows.

Jackson_H

• Part of the Gang
    • BehindtheVoiceActors
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 10:01:12 pm »
I just don't think John Ledford and Matt Greenfield LIKE Lupin the Third.

:( Dang

Anyone know if the cost is high to license Lupin titles?

If so then I guess it's understandable why companies are avoiding it.

High license cost + bad sales history in U.S. = not interested

Has Lupin sold well in other countries outside of Japan?

Cause if it's "failed" everywhere except Japan then maybe TPTB should consider lowering the licensing price or maybe allow free legal streams.

If it got more exposure (and interest from viewers) maybe there could be DVD plans later on.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 11:16:50 pm »
Cause if it's "failed" everywhere except Japan then maybe TPTB should consider lowering the licensing price or maybe allow free legal streams.

Seconded a hundred times. Get with the times, TMS.
-R. Nelson

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 11:20:33 pm »
Anyone know if the cost is high to license Lupin titles?

While I don't have solid numbers, there is enough anecdotal "evidence" to say that it is rather pricey.

Has Lupin sold well in other countries outside of Japan?

I guess that depends on how you define "well"; again, no hard numbers to back this up, but the franchise seems to do consistently well in Italy.  I was surprised by how well the series actually did here in the US; was it a success?  No, but it certainly beat my expectations for drawing people into it.

I doubt we would ever see free streams beyond the occasional promotion.  They have a whole pay to stream service in Japan that has been running for a number of years now.  Would love to see the numbers behind it.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 04:36:57 am »
LTT:
Get with the times, TMS.

Well, they did with Remi and Sherlock Hound. Dunno what the hell the hold-up is on their other catalog classics, though. Especially when it seems you can get their shows on mobile phones in Japan.

sprak:
I was surprised by how well the series actually did here in the US; was it a success?  No, but it certainly beat my expectations for drawing people into it.

Well, yeah, that's what I've been saying all this time. The series just needs a bit more of a push. As soon as Bandai started streaming the dub of the original Gundam, there actually appeared to be enough of a demand for them to release the subbed version of it on DVD. It's not coincidental, either. If people can catch this stuff at their convenience, they're more likely to show interest in paying for it, if they like it. That's partly why Lupin didn't do as well as it could have, here, 'cus it got shown at random and/or crappy time slots.

I doubt we would ever see free streams beyond the occasional promotion. 

Well, like I said, the company has a couple titles streaming online here; so I'm not really sure what's holding them back on the rest.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 02:22:11 pm »
I think the problem is that TMS is only looking at the streaming business from a Japanese perspective. The Japanese are perfectly willing to accept digital download rentals and pay-per-stream type stuff, but we hate that kind of garbage in the States. When we pay for something, we want to HAVE it. OWN it. And I think it doesn't help convince the Japanese businessmen to be inclined to try the streaming thing because the DVD sales weren't what they hoped.

Of course, from OUR perspective, they should be doing everything they can to get us the show as inexpensively as possible. But maybe they have looked it over thoroughly and determined it just wasn't worth it to them. We really don't know anything about why they don't stream the show over here other than speculation. It would be nice to have some answers from the company on this. Speaking of which, I just looked into finding an email for them, and they appear to only have a written-letter address on their English-language website. Maybe it's time for me to bust out the pen and paper....
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 04:33:12 pm »
You could always harass, er PM, them on their Youtube channel.