Goemon
0 (0%)
Fujiko
1 (9.1%)
Zenigata
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: January 07, 2007, 01:09:50 am

Author Topic: Favorite Character  (Read 5960 times)

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
Favorite Character
« on: January 07, 2007, 01:09:50 am »
I am always switching between Lupin & Jigen. As of right now I'd say Lupin. But I'll be back to Jigen soon enough, lol.

Juno_Loire

• NO LONGER HERE
  • [Member]
Favorite Character
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 06:42:35 pm »
There's something attractive about Jigen, though, more so than the others. It would be a challenge to peel away the layers of shyness and formality that Goemon has, or give in to the childishness of Lupin, but Jigen oozes badboy cool, so he's got my vote.

Oh, and he's got a fedora. That's just awesome

Genetic_Mishap

• [Member]
Favorite Character
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 06:57:11 pm »
<------- There's your answer.

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
Favorite Character
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 08:32:32 pm »
As much as I love Fujiko (see my name), I had to vote for Lupin.  I mean, he's the main character, and he gets all the best "moments" in all the series and movies.  It's hard not to like the guy best.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
Favorite Character
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 09:53:46 pm »
Lupin.  Do I really have to give any reasons?  He's Lupin.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Fujiko Mine

• [Member]
Favorite Character
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 05:46:13 am »
Quote from: "Genetic_Mishap"
<------- There's your answer.

LMAO. Love that. I'm tempted to agree XD

Fujiko was the reason I started watching the show, well before I liked (or could stand) Lupin.
Lupin would now be my second favorite, with Zenigata a close third.

All of the characters are great. There is something to be said for characters, all with horrible character flaws, being capable of in endearing audiences to them with such lasting effect.

I think they really should be noted as something unique and important especially compared to most anime characters. They create a dynamic that's virtually unmatched in other shows, and they really do deserve the icon status they have in Japan.
Lupin rivals the untouchable Japanese demigod that is Char Aznable as japan's all time favorite character for a reason.
So much anime is homogenized, only capable to playing to strict stereotypes (some made because of Lupin III) and repeating generic interaction that is no different really from the next or last show. The cast stands out for a reason, and it's sad that it's not so appreciated state-side like it should be and is in it's native country.

Inspector Zenigata

• Part of the Gang
  • Lupin Doujinshi Collector
Favorite Character
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 10:25:54 pm »
my fave are Zenigata, Lupin and Jigen i don't like Fujiko or Goemon too much

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Favorite Character
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 01:23:37 pm »
Sorry to jerk the thread around, but I figured this would be a great one to inaugurate the new Series + Characters subforum, since it doesn't really discuss either the anime or manga specifically.

EDIT: You'll notice I've since stabbed that subforum to death and it's now in with Links & Misc. Carry on!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 04:33:08 am by Lupin the Third »
-R. Nelson

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
Re: Favorite Character
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 06:32:32 pm »
I don't know that I have any particular favorite character, but I have a special fondness for Zenigata when he's done properly—as a competent cop, and as Lupin's reluctant ally against worse villainy. Too many movies and TV specials like to paint Zenigata as a bumbling Clouseau-like idiot when that's really not the case at all. He's not that bad; Lupin is just that good.

Zoo Station

• [Member]
    • The Fedora Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 08:02:06 pm »
I like every character and I think each one brings something special, unique, and important to the series. However, my favorite has to be Lupin. ;D

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 04:38:07 am »
I don't know that I have any particular favorite character, but I have a special fondness for Zenigata when he's done properly—as a competent cop, and as Lupin's reluctant ally against worse villainy. Too many movies and TV specials like to paint Zenigata as a bumbling Clouseau-like idiot when that's really not the case at all. He's not that bad; Lupin is just that good.

I'm seconding this opinion. I think the writers need to work toward building a stronger dynamic between the Lupin cast + Zenigata beyond the standard Tom + Jerry phenomenon. Obviously, they do sometimes have a few scenes where Lupin and Zenigata will relax and "enjoy" each other's company for a drink or whatever. But I mean....well, I guess I don't know how to say what I mean. I just think Zenigata is an abused "comic relief" character and needs more time to shine.

Also, he needs to not be obsessed with catching Lupin to the point of depression when he's gone. That "joke" is played out. I think there needs to be a version of Zenigata where, if he's in a story where Lupin fakes his death, he isn't crying like a baby and is instead suspicious.

Kinda like "Mamo" but without the obsessiveness in the latter half.
-R. Nelson

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 06:01:01 pm »
Well, we do know that Zeni and the Lupin gang (mainly Lupin) have a deep relationshop with eachother. They care deeply for eachothers lives.