Author Topic: New live-action Lupin movie, in Japanese theaters August 30, 2014  (Read 28875 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Link. Third live-action attempt, if you count that Filipino Lupin INO thing.  ::)

UPDATE: Photos of actors in costume, story overview: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-04-09/new-live-action-lupin-iii-film-caper-story-outlined
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 12:08:33 pm by Reed »

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
Nothing can ever replace Strange Psychokinetic Strategy and its Benny Hill-like antics.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Since I know Monkey Punch's site actually reads my suggestions, even when they're April Fool's jokes, I requested they hire Stephen Chow to work on the script, for this reason alone8)

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang
Hey, you can now enter the official web:

http://lupin-the-movie.jp/

A teaser image is waiting for you!  ;)

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
Definitely cool that they're doing this, but hopefully it's good and not generic. I could see this feeling a bit bland if it's not stylized and over-the-top enough. But hey, something to keep an eye on

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
Wow, I kinda excited for this, although I am not sure how they are going to adapt this live-action.
This will of course NOT be like that Strange Psychokinetics movie. We'll see what it's like on the trailer,
before the DVD comes out.
Good thing is it looks like Lupin's gonna wear the red jacket, not pink or black.
Although it's gonna be an origin story, it will of course not be another First Contact.

But I will probably first have to get used to the non-anime voices of the characters in the live-action movie.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:58:40 am by blackjacket »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Shun Oguri in costume.

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang
Thanks for the heads up! Is it me or he does not have long sideburns? Are they making them by CGI or something?  ???

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
I wonder if he's really going to wear the green jacket as the article in the link suggest.
I think he's gonna wear both green and red in the movie.
I hope he will put some sideburns for makeup.

I agree with the Japanese fans about the selection of the actor as Lupin.
We'll have to watch the trailer first, though it will probably take time to get used to a Lupin without the original anime voice.

But I'm still looking forward to the movie. 2014 has the releases of two of my favorite anime franchises that I never expected to see live-action.
One is of course, Lupin III and the other is Mobile Police Patlabor which will be released as different stories in diverse formats. :)
I'm especially surprised with the Patlabor live-action adaptation, considering that the last feature of the franchise came out in 2002.
Even the famed director Oshii Mamoru(Ghost in the Shell), who directed the original OVA series and first two Patlabor movies, is also involved in the production.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:23:41 pm by blackjacket »

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang
Hey! I didn't know anything about the Patlabor live-action! Thanks for the info.!

As for the election of Oguri, what is your position exactly? Because Japanese fans have mixed reviews about it...

As for the jacket, the article assumes he's wearing it green because of the color of the tie and the shirt Oguri's wearing. But Lupin has also worn red jackets with black shirts and yellow ties too. Plus, the teaser pic shows a red jacket. However, I agree, it would be cool to see him wearing the both of them!

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
Hey! I didn't know anything about the Patlabor live-action! Thanks for the info.!

As for the election of Oguri, what is your position exactly? Because Japanese fans have mixed reviews about it...

As for the jacket, the article assumes he's wearing it green because of the color of the tie and the shirt Oguri's wearing. But Lupin has also worn red jackets with black shirts and yellow ties too. Plus, the teaser pic shows a red jacket. However, I agree, it would be cool to see him wearing the both of them!

I also have mixed feelings about Oguri as Lupin, but I will wait for the trailer or the movie before I make a judgment.

About Patlabor, here is a clip of a rather fancy press conference for the live adaptation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T94puA2G_KI

The adaptation will be set in the same continuity as the old OVA series and the movies, but the cast are "the next generation", meaning that
the original anime SV2 crew members like Noa, Asuma, Kanuka, Goto have moved on (or retired) and
new people have replaced them. But the "new" characters seem to heavily reflect the original crew in names and personality,
which may be a smart move, cuz I can't picture the original characters without the original anime voices, as the Patlabor series
was a heavily character-centric show.
The only original character who will appear is Shige, the maintenance guy who is now the chief maintenance as seen in movie 2,
who is actually played by the original voice actor of the character, which is awesome.
The format will actually consist of 12 episodic formats that will be shown in theaters in 2014, followed by a feature film in 2015.

And here is a silent test video of Ingram's foot moving.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1nMtKW9j08
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:23:01 am by blackjacket »

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang

I also have mixed feelings about Oguri as Lupin, but I will wait for the trailer or the movie before I make a judgment.

About Patlabor, here is a clip of a rather fancy press conference for the live adaptation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T94puA2G_KI

The adaptation will be set in the same continuity as the old OVA series and the movies, but the cast are "the next generation", meaning that
the original anime SV2 crew members like Noa, Asuma, Kanuka, Goto have moved on (or retired) and
new people have replaced them. But the "new" characters seem to heavily reflect the original crew in names and personality,
which may be a smart move, cuz I can't picture the original characters without the original anime voices, as the Patlabor series
was a heavily character-centric show.
The only original character who will appear is Shige, the maintenance guy who is now the chief maintenance as seen in movie 2,
who is actually played by the original voice actor of the character, which is awesome.
The format will actually consist of 12 episodic formats that will be shown in theaters in 2014, followed by a feature film in 2015.

And here is a silent test video of Ingram's foot moving.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1nMtKW9j08

It looks pretty good, actually. It is a project  to be looking forward too, definitely. Thank you very much for the news!

Returning to Oguri, it would be very strange if he does not have the sideburns. It would be a pity having the outfit and the haircut but not the facial hair, which in this case, is totally significant. That being said, do you folks think the actor playing Jigen is going to have pointy beard? Maybe using some wig?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 03:10:31 pm by SSJ3_Goku345 »

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
I don't worry too much about the sideburns. If he doesn't have them naturally (cause of time or hair growing metabolism), they will surely give him prosthetic ones.

Look at David Suchet's Poirot's moustache. It is really well fabricated to the point you don't expect it to be false.

So I'm sure that with the budjet they have, they could easely make believable fake sideburns. it is as you all said, an essential part of Lupin's physical identity.

Otherwhise, what we've seen of the costume is near perfect, up too the shoes who really look like they come straight from the anime.

As for the jacket color, the promotional image with the Walther P38 clearly shows a red jacket and the article's assumption they will use the green jacket isn't founded on anything. So, for that matter, I'll wait and see.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 03:48:36 pm by Red Dear »
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

LadyLupin

• Part of the Gang
  • Lady Lupin Sansei
I do hope he gets sideburns-it's too important to the character to be left out. It's like the live action Ashita no Joe, starring Yamapi as Joe Yabuki, where he had Joe's long bangs.

I don't care about whether jacket color, but the pants color does screen green jacket.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:18:08 am by LadyLupin »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Wow, it looks like they already missed the point of the premise.

Edit: Expanded IMDB casting with a suggested budget of $10 million.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:44:36 pm by GATSU »