Author Topic: New live-action Lupin movie, in Japanese theaters August 30, 2014  (Read 28876 times)

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
Wow, it looks like they already missed the point of the premise.

Edit: Expanded IMDB casting with a suggested budget of $10 million.

Wow, that is so annoying. What the heck are they going to do to Goemon, if he doesn't even get to carry a sword??

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
Wow, it looks like they already missed the point of the premise.

Edit: Expanded IMDB casting with a suggested budget of $10 million.

Wow, that is so annoying. What the heck are they going to do to Goemon, if he doesn't even get to carry a sword??

Remember that context, or lack thereof so far, is important on these bits of "news".  No sideburns in that random photo? Maybe he hadn't been to make-up yet and was just helping them get the lighting setup. The director said "I intend to change the characters themselves to make them modern" does not equate to him actually being able to do that or even that they will drastically change other than clothing.

I'll wait for a trailer and see what they actually are going for before I get enthused or riled up about it. Who knows... maybe the director just wants Goemon to go around Highlander style and just carry a katana under a long coat...

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang
I agree. Plus, who knows if this was a planned publicity action?

When do you think we could be watching the trailer?

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang

Remember that context, or lack thereof so far, is important on these bits of "news".  No sideburns in that random photo? Maybe he hadn't been to make-up yet and was just helping them get the lighting setup. The director said "I intend to change the characters themselves to make them modern" does not equate to him actually being able to do that or even that they will drastically change other than clothing.

I'll wait for a trailer and see what they actually are going for before I get enthused or riled up about it. Who knows... maybe the director just wants Goemon to go around Highlander style and just carry a katana under a long coat...

I don't know. The guy said even carrying a sword is nonsense, so...

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang

He might be referring to Goemon carrying both his katana and its case with his hands. Maybe.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
To be honest, this whole "modernizing characters and recreating Goemon" thing
does'nt bother me that much. True, Goemon is pretty much defined by his old-fashioned garb
and sword but at the same time he's been the most misused character in the whole franchise (Fujiko is
close second). So it may not be a bad idea to see what new things this character can offer.

And I must say I'm amused at this producer's declaration. He wants to modernize the characters, yet Lupin still
have a yellow tie, funny shoes and most likely a red jacket. Yes, it's less outlandish than a Samurai attire but still.

And fans have a short memory too ! The first live action movie didn't even include Goemon. They most likely did not know what to do with him. And the characters didn't not look perfectly like their manga counterparts. For heaven's sake, the actor playing Lupin bearly had any real sideburns, wore a completely different outfit, Jigen had a mustache as well as a different costume and Zenigata was bearly recognizable.

Yet, nobody seems to get annoyed by it. So there is no real reason to be annoyed by the possible changes the producers will make to the gang. A good adaptation must stay true to the core of the material but also try new things, especially with a long running franchise with no real canon.

So, until we get more information, I allow myself to be open minded and see what this movie can offer to the franchise.

On a side-note: It seems no one pointed out this is the second time in ages (after the Conan crossover) Lupin III will come to the big screen. They really try to keep the franchise alive and interesting. Let's give it a chance.

I will now shut my big mouth.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:56:30 pm by Red Dear »
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia

I think a lot is getting lost in the translation. He might be saying it is nonsense (ridiculous, not normal, etc.) for Goemon to walk around the streets dressed like he stepped out of a Nobunaga era period piece, not that it would be nonsense for him to carry a sword at all. Again, we don't have a lot of context to truly know what he meant, which is why I'm just going to wait for the trailer and see what they actually do.

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
The entire concept of Goemon revolves around him being an anachronistic samurai.

This movie will be dookie being squeezed out of a movie studio's balloon knot. I want to punch a wall just thinking about it.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 06:05:47 pm by penguintruth »

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
The entire concept of Goemon revolves around him being an anachronistic samurai.

This movie will be dookie being squeezed out of a movie studio's balloon knot. I want to punch a wall just thinking about it.

Again, we have no certitude what so ever about this movie so it may be a bit early to make conclusions. Even tough, you have a point.
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang

Hey, I might not know the Japanese film industry very much, but it is nothing like Hollywood regarding adaptations.

bolt7

• Part of the Gang
  • Gaffer @ Lupin Central
    • Lupin Central
It looks like the site updated today and it now includes a release date of August the 30th at the top.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
ANN spotted a group shot photo.

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang

Thanks for the link. We now know Lupin is definitely wearing the red jacket in the movie.
In the pic, I guess the only characters present are Lupin and Fujiko.
And an army is probably involved in the scene they were shooting.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:52:09 am by blackjacket »

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang

Thanks for the link. We now know Lupin is definitely wearing the red jacket in the movie.
In the pic, I guess the only characters present are Lupin and Fujiko.
And an army is probably involved in the scene they were shooting.

What is more, Shun Ouguri is wearing LEATHER trousers!  :o

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
I wonder if they'll make him wear all the jackets.