Author Topic: "Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone" discussion; Discotek US version out early 2016  (Read 49586 times)

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
They need to make a bunch of movies in this style and tone. I feel like it would be a return to form for the franchise. Leave the silly cookie-cutter crap for the TV specials, with their mysterious one-off Lupin girls and predictable plots. Lupin can be fun AND a bit dark without being bland junk looking to recapture Castle of Cagliostro poorly (Princess of the Breeze).

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Koike just linked us a new trailer.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
Koike just linked us a new trailer.

I'm gonna like this movie !!!!!!!!!

Look at the animation ! And indeed the darker tone is welcome but judging by the last scene they do keep the humor.
More of this ! More of this for Lupin !
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
Wow, I'm also liking what I'm seeing! Looking forward to the release! Of the DVD...

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Is there a problem, officer? [All I can think of when I see that outfit is Chips and Busta Rhymes in Gimme Some More.] Fujiko cosplaying as M. Bison;D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:43:41 pm by GATSU »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player. Thanks for that caption,  Elton John.

Edit: If anyone's willing to translate it, a Koike interview, courtesy of @jigenmovie.

Mr. Foo

• Mr. Foo
  • Part of the Gang
  • Yes, that's my lung.
    • A.D. Living
While I can safely assume this won't actually be the end of Jigen, I can't help but notice the all to obvious April Fools joke on Jigen's gravestone in the second trailer for this.

(click to show/hide)

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
Some famous people actually died at april's fools.  :'(

But yeah, since this movie is a tale of of how Lupin and Jigen became partners, it is very very unlikely
that Jigen will actually die.

What may be more plausible may be the retirement of Kobayashi Kiyoshi and this film being his swan song.
Only time will tell.

But I'm extremely hyped for this film ! Since it has a limited time of airing, I don't think we will see the whole movie
before it comes out in DVD but I'll be patient. :)
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
If Kobayashi retires, we'll have to find another grizzled old anime voice actor to play Daisuke Jigen, and those guys are retiring and... uh... yeah.  :(

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang
If Kobayashi retires, we'll have to find another grizzled old anime voice actor to play Daisuke Jigen, and those guys are retiring and... uh... yeah.  :(

Hey, don't be so pesimistic! I'm sure there are young -and not so young- seiyuus out there that can pull it off.

And today is finally the day! Stay tuned to catch up the first reviews. Let's hope that this movie turns out to be the awesome-second-Koike-theatrical-feature that it seems to be!!

bolt7

• Part of the Gang
  • Gaffer @ Lupin Central
    • Lupin Central
There are some photos from the opening event at the Wald 9 cinema in Tokyo online already. Kobayashi is looking great!

More here: http://lupincentral.tumblr.com/post/89475968003/here-are-some-photos-from-the-first-showing-of

In case anyone else is in the UK, when queried as to whether there was any chance of acquiring the film for this year's Scotland Loves Animation film festival, the response from their director was "very likely"...

Holy crap - no way! I tweeted the Scotland Loves Anime official event account myself and hopefully they will respond. At the very most, it shows more demand. I live in Edinburgh myself. A small independent cinema here was recently airing some of their top Ghibli films as a tribute to Miyazaki (Filmhouse, I think?) I asked them about Cagliostro through Twitter and it turns out they couldn't get the rights to air the film. Such a shame, as apparently they did want to show it. I'd love to see it in a cinema!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:08:21 pm by bolt7 »

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang
I've been reading a few reviews here and there. To be honest, the very most of them are short, closer to comments than a review and very entuthiastic.

That been said, the impressions are good, in general. I'm going to try to sum up one of them. No spoilers.

For what I've been able of understand in this particular review, the movie is "less dark than The Woman Called Fujiko Mine", in fact "closer to a standard Lupin anime adaptation [a TV Special]" and that "Lupin fans [specially old ones] will enjoy it",but "maybe not average Lupin fans".

More further, the movie is commented to be close to the original Monkey Punch work [in atmosphere?] and Takeshi Koike's take on Lupin [designs, style of animation] is praised, in most cases.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:42:15 pm by SSJ3_Goku345 »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang

Draw! Thanks to @aicnanime for the link.

Update: @Aicnanime spotted this vid of Kobayashi discussing the film.

Update 2: Looks like John from Anime Nation got to see it in the theater, and posted his impressions here.

Update 3: I guess Lupin and Jigen got a convertible Fiat this time.   ;D

Update 4: Didn't notice this trailer til now.

Update 5: Japanese home video pics, with a scheduled November 28 release, courtesy of @WTK.

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
Preorders are up:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/LUPIN-THE-IIIRD-%E6%AC%A1%E5%85%83%E5%A4%A7%E4%BB%8B%E3%81%AE%E5%A2%93%E6%A8%99-Blu-ray/dp/B00MHNEP2C/ref=pd_cp_d_2

Did not find a link at cdjapan yet. No chance of subs though I am guessing. Really would prefer an import on this one as I have a feeling Funimation will get this and I just don't care much for them as a company...