Author Topic: "Bye Bye, Lady Liberty" DVD Feedback Thread  (Read 3766 times)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
"Bye Bye, Lady Liberty" DVD Feedback Thread
« on: April 01, 2014, 12:33:26 am »
Movie came out on DVD in the US a few days ago.

Features include:

-English dub (Manga UK cast)
-Japanese audio
-New English subtitles
-Audio commentary by Mike Toole (The Mike Toole Show, Anime News Network)
-Liner & translation notes, including English version credits.
-Image gallery

I contributed to the liner notes. Feel free to share your thoughts/issues on the release in here.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:33:39 am by Reed »
-R. Nelson

FlippytheMaster

• Part of the Gang
Re: "Bye Bye, Lady Liberty" DVD Feedback Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 01:01:47 pm »
Got mine yesterday in the mail. Immediately watched it and dug it. The liner notes and photo gallery are awesome, but I've yet to listen to the commentary or the dub. I also really appreciate that the original trailer was included, it's always interesting to see TV spots from years past.
I'm also kind of enamored with the new logo. It's just so damn classy.

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 04:01:45 am »
Excellent release overall. I reviewed it on my blog -
http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/03/review-lupin-third-bye-bye-lady-liberty.html

And did a little unboxing/review on Youtube -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gv2F-XdFz0

Mike Toole's commentary was a pleasant surprise, as was the release as a whole since I kinda forgot about it, so it greatly exceeded all expectations I had for it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:02:30 am by MGFanJay »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 11:23:14 pm »
I haven't gone back to it yet, but if it's still as good as remembered, I'll have to concede that the dub is better than the original Japanese track. The actors haven't changed on the latter, but the script is not really there for me. The Manga UK script, OTOH, is a lot livelier.

Edit: The Toole commentary missed an opportunity to mention Inspector Gadget being outsourced to TMS, which is why it and Lupin look and act so similarly. But other than that, it's pretty satisfying.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:19:20 am by GATSU »

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 12:55:33 pm »
Late to the party buying this, but wow... Comparing this to my Blu-Ray this is awesome. I awhile back synced the the Manga UK dub from the Spanish DVD to the Blu-Ray and the sound fx placement was off in comparison to the Japanese track as well as having to have been cut up like 50 times to add silence/static... I am amazed at how much higher quality this version of the audio track is compared to the spanish dvd...

Ashura

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 04:53:10 am »
Hey, Jeremy! It's been a long time since HGM, man. Glad you liked the release!

Late to the party buying this, but wow... Comparing this to my Blu-Ray this is awesome. I awhile back synced the the Manga UK dub from the Spanish DVD to the Blu-Ray and the sound fx placement was off in comparison to the Japanese track as well as having to have been cut up like 50 times to add silence/static... I am amazed at how much higher quality this version of the audio track is compared to the spanish dvd...

Glad you enjoyed it. I spent many hours re-cutting the english audio for Liberty and lining it up frame by frame after I heard the first draft. It was a lot of work to do.

JAG2045

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 04:27:07 pm »
Finally had a chance to watch this TV special along with the very informative commentary (although I was surprised there was no mention of the English dub in it at all) - very well done and the TV spot extra & liner notes was also great to see