Author Topic: "The Hemingway Papers" DVD Feedback Thread  (Read 3313 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
"The Hemingway Papers" DVD Feedback Thread
« on: June 15, 2014, 02:10:26 am »
Just decided it needed a placeholder. I haven't seen it through yet, and this is my first time seeing the special at all, but I'm appreciating the release, at least.

Edit: Ok, this one's a very unusual Lupin special. The principal characters barely have anything to do with the main story, and the pacing is incredibly relaxed by the standards of the franchise. In some ways, it makes First Contact look like it's got non-stop balls-to-the-wall action. It's got its moments, but you have to sit through a lot of conversations explaining character motivations and story settings to get to the pay-offs. I guess, in some ways, it can be considered a foreshadowing of today's shonen manga and movies. So I would say this special is better suited to people who didn't mind the slower episodes of Master Keaton. I wouldn't say it's terrible, but you have to have a different approach to Hemingway Papers than you would most Lupin spin-offs. You have to have the mindset of reading a novel, rather than, say, going through a flip book. Which I guess might be the point, given the MacGuffin of the story.

I have yet to get to the commentary, though.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:40:42 pm by Reed »

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
Re: 'Hemingway Papers' DVD feedback thread (Updated)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 07:44:10 am »
Can you provide any screenshots?

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:18:32 am »
Not my specialty.

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 07:05:51 am »
I really dug the special with the commentary - the special on its own has never been a favorite, so having the commentary track makes it far more rewatchable. Reed and Michael Toole have good chemistry together and I love that we're getting commentary tracks as as regular feature. I've got at on of screens - here are a few to give you an idea of the video quality, which is pristine as usual for these releases.

Michael Toole mentioned a shopping mall video of "He's Gone"'s singer Michiko Kihara singing in a mall - and I think this is it -
http://www.veoh.com/watch/v18645408GeADgcxj?h1=Michiko+Kihara+Atsugi+Myroad
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:39:58 am by MGFanJay »

Ashura

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 04:54:58 am »
Glad people are liking the commentaries. This one was a lot of work to put together since it was recorded over Skype. I spent a lot of time cleaning it up and syncing it together. But they're worth it because it's such a fun listen!

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 06:18:28 pm »
I really like that with this release that discotek started putting credits for translation, packing etc on the back of the case. Its always nice to know who did what work

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Re: 'The Hemingway Papers' DVD feedback thread
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 10:53:38 pm »
Really glad people liked this release. With From Russia With Love (Bank of Liberty) and Steal Napoleon's Dictionary on the way, there's no shortage of classic Lupin specials to enjoy. /shill

Akai: we're starting to do proper post-film credit scrolls now. "Cagliostro" has a pretty fancy one, actually, but Napoleon's Dictionary will have a more traditional one. Proofing and cramming the tiny credits on the back was probably more work than it was worth.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:21:15 pm by Reed »
-R. Nelson