Author Topic: Discotek gets Napoleon's Dictionary  (Read 6096 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Discotek gets Napoleon's Dictionary
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:57:46 pm »
Scheduled for January. Oh, and the Cagliostro DVD is tentatively scheduled for December.

Fujikogirl23

• The Curiously Curious
  • Part of the Gang
  • "My head is full of ideas, that's why I'm crazy!"
Re: Discotek gets Napoleon's Dictionary
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 06:15:50 pm »
Discotek, how is it that you guys keep getting even more awesome every time?  :)

DragonmasterDan

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 09:31:54 pm »
Nice, here's hoping they eventually make their way through all the unreleased in the US TV specials.

veggie 11

• Part of the Gang
    • My blogs
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 05:47:37 am »
We had a French release in 2007 and if I would choice among the specials which take place in Paris, I will prefer Stolen Lupin. Napleon's dictionary has a lot of humor and a interesting relationship between Zenigata and... (I will not spoil more  ;D), but the graphism and the animation are horrible! Osamu Dezaki was probably in weary physical condition, his artistic style is scarcely present and very far from the level atteint in the Hemingway papers.

I will be so happy if Discotek licences Alcatraz Connection, it's one of my favorite Special Tv!  8)
But why Miyazaki was so obsessed to draw this horrible fringle to Jigen in EVERY Lupin anime he did?
-----------------------------------------
I decided to strike for the recognition of Jigen, Goemon and Fujiko's sacrifice in The Castle of Cagliostro

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 12:30:15 am »
We had a French release in 2007 and if I would choice among the specials which take place in Paris, I will prefer Stolen Lupin. Napleon's dictionary has a lot of humor and a interesting relationship between Zenigata and... (I will not spoil more  ;D), but the graphism and the animation are horrible! Osamu Dezaki was probably in weary physical condition, his artistic style is scarcely present and very far from the level atteint in the Hemingway papers.

I will be so happy if Discotek licences Alcatraz Connection, it's one of my favorite Special Tv!  8)

Some insights into this and other Lupin specials that doesn't completely explain how the hell this mess happened but does offer some interesting info nonetheless:

http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/the-first-5-lupin-specials

I see that Discotek ignored my request to skip this one. If I had seen this special first, I would never have touched a Lupin release ever again. Oh well. Must have been a package deal or something...

I would really like to see Alcatraz also. Basically I would like to see Discotek release:

Nostrodamus (Blu-Ray)
Dead or Alive (Blu-Ray)
From Russia with Love
Alcatraz Connection
Tomb of Jigen (Blu-Ray)
Mamo (Blu-Ray)

Obviously in an ideal scenario they'd have every movie on Blu-Ray and maybe a box set of all the specials on Blu-Ray but that just wouldn't sell. However I do feel the ones I mentioned above could do well as BR releases while the smaller titles remained dvd for now.

Gozar

• Part of the Gang
    • Otaku in a Bottle
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 06:34:54 pm »
I don't have my Fansubs of this Special or "From Russia with Love" anymore, so I'm really excited to see this Special with decent Subs. I forget if this is the one with Lupin and Zenigata feeding each other fancy food or if that's the 1992 Special, but I hope it's that one.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 06:42:58 pm »
Cover and Jan. 27 date for Napoleon's Dictionary. Thanks to @WTK for the tip.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 09:57:39 pm »
For whatever reason, the cover in the Discotek Facebook post looks really stripped of color. The actual cover looks much richer. Brady got a clear scan of the Japanese LaserDisc cover for it and it looks much nicer and cleaner than this. The subtitle logo has also been improved. But this shows the general design accurately enough.

I see that Discotek ignored my request to skip this one. If I had seen this special first, I would never have touched a Lupin release ever again. Oh well. Must have been a package deal or something...

I am not personally a fan of Steal Napoleon's Dictionary either. The animation is pretty awful even though it has some redeeming comic value. I'll do some liner notes for the disc, though, and the word on the street is someone might be recording an audio commentary for it too! :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:06:37 pm by Reed »
-R. Nelson

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 02:45:56 pm »
Commentaries make the discs far more rewatchable, so I love it when they're included in specials I otherwise wouldn't watch all that often.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 01:57:12 am »
@WTK spotted the pre-order page on Right Stuf.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 02:21:06 am »
I should probably mention it here too that Daryl Surat and Mike Toole recorded a collaborative commentary for this title.
-R. Nelson

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 07:53:44 am »
Excellent - looking forward to hearing that and watching the film for the first time in easily a decade.

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 12:45:49 pm »
what can i say i really want more blu rays !

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 02:23:55 pm »
mike: We need a remastered edition of Walther, at least.  8)

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 08:31:53 am »
mike: We need a remastered edition of Walther, at least.  8)

Hopefully we get it. I can tell you from the Japanese Blu-Ray that the FUNi DVD does not do it justice at all. You will pick up on certain things in the background that you could not notice on the DVD.