Author Topic: New "Lupin the Third" TV series starting 2015, debuting in Italy (in 2 ways!)  (Read 96639 times)

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
Re: New "Lupin the Third" TV series starting 2015, debuting in Italy (in 2 ways!)
« Reply #196 on: September 07, 2015, 11:13:13 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for the link, Mikezilla. Glad to hear this series is a bit longer than the typical anime these days. I assume that's due, at least in part, to it being an Italian co-production.

Also interesting that so many series are apparently 13 episodes these days. That's been the American model for cartoons for decades, and more recently for live-action cable dramas, too.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: New "Lupin the Third" TV series starting 2015, debuting in Italy (in 2 ways!)
« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2015, 02:41:20 AM »
mike: I don't think it's just money and demographic changes. Before DVD, these studios could get away with 100+ episode series, back when casual fans didn't have time to sit through every single effing segment. After DVD, though, the fans started noticing they'd just pad that shit out with any kind of junk; and so these shorter series are partly a reaction to that era. So, basically, the writers would prefer stories which are tighter and focused to better boost the profile of these shows. That's no doubt partly why DB Kai came about.

And it might be for the best, because Pink Lupin had tons of bubble money thrown at it, and the quality was still terrible. [Although if anime could 'talk', Pink Lupin would be pissed off at how unpopular it was to fans, but not to video game companies which ripped the fark out of it. For example, that jetpack in Mario Sunshine was in one of the episodes.]

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.  Shunsuke Sakuya's been cast as a Brit spy who closely resembles this guy8)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 02:53:13 AM by GATSU »

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2015, 10:56:36 AM »
Gatsu: I think that's an issue of money too. More specifically, the fan's money. Anime DVDs and BDs are expensive in Japan and that cost really piles up when you've got series with a lot of episodes. The most recent example I can think of is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders selling worse than the much shorter Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency segments.

Also, I don't really understand the hate for the third series. The quality isn't that much worse than the far more popular second series, imo.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2015, 09:05:58 PM »
Aelia: The thing about Jojo is that people who wanted Stardust Crusaders already got it through the OAVs. No need to 'improve' on it, either, unless you really have to see all those unnecessary side-stories and characters from the manga included in anime form.

And going back on topic again, Pink Lupin isn't as great as it could be, but yeah, there are good episodes in there, if you're willing to sit through enough of them. Though compared to other similar anime at the time, it's clearly lacking. TMS was coasting too much on the success of the 70s show, and they seemed to only put in the effort to improve storylines when (I assume) ratings for Pink Lupin were in trouble.

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2015, 03:55:19 AM »
Gatsu: Both adaptations have their issues. The OVA cuts out way too much and, frankly, has the ugliest and dullest character designs I've ever seen in the portion animated in 2001. The television series on the other hand may be too literal of an adaptation and has problems with censorship and keeping a consistent quality with animation. Basically, if people want to experience it for the first time, they should read the manga.

Anyway though, I think that if failing ratings were an issue for the third series it was likely between tastes changed between 1980 and 1984 and they didn't quite account for that.  Taking in consideration what was really popular in 1984, it probably didn't help that it looked like none of those shows design-wise. This is all simply conjecture on my part, though.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:57:37 AM by Aelia »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2015, 08:54:21 AM »
Aelia: Oh, no. They did try to account for changing tastes. It's just that they lumped the worst things about the 80s and 80s anime together in that show.

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2015, 03:56:39 PM »
Gatsu: It felt more like they were taking potshots at the culture of the time. At least, I really hope they were. Still, what I meant was that roughly half of the series airing in that same year were mecha and science fiction.

SweLupan

• Part of the Gang
  • Nu ska vi allt sno lite guld eller annat fint.
« Reply #203 on: September 15, 2015, 02:13:55 PM »
So far, I really like ALL of it. The animation is spot on, the stories are great, the voices are also top notch.
But one thing that (to me) feel a bit off.. The intro. Now, I have heard the Italian one (Not sure if there is a Jap one)
But something about it just feels... Not adventures enough. BUT this is a really, really small complaint.
is it just me?

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #204 on: September 15, 2015, 04:50:21 PM »
So far, I really like ALL of it. The animation is spot on, the stories are great, the voices are also top notch.
But one thing that (to me) feel a bit off.. The intro. Now, I have heard the Italian one (Not sure if there is a Jap one)
But something about it just feels... Not adventures enough. BUT this is a really, really small complaint.
is it just me?

No. Most people seem to detest everything about the Italian opening.

The Japanese opening isn't out yet, but presumably it will be completely different.

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #205 on: September 15, 2015, 08:21:33 PM »
I presume this will be the opening that the Japanese version uses: https://youtu.be/Cbp4a9HcpHw?t=8

SweLupan

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #206 on: September 16, 2015, 11:40:04 AM »
is it just me?

No. Most people seem to detest everything about the Italian opening.

The Japanese opening isn't out yet, but presumably it will be completely different.

Thank you, so I'm not insane at least.

I presume this will be the opening that the Japanese version uses: https://youtu.be/Cbp4a9HcpHw?t=8

That would work much better, even if it's not that original :3

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #207 on: September 16, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
I'm a sucker for the Lupin '78 theme variations so I wouldn't mind it.

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #208 on: September 16, 2015, 03:52:38 PM »

Most likely, but I didn't want to go assuming that it was until I was absolutely sure.

I think it'd be more insane if you actually liked it.  ;D

SweLupan

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2015, 04:56:14 PM »

Most likely, but I didn't want to go assuming that it was until I was absolutely sure.

I think it'd be more insane if you actually liked it.  ;D

Hue hue yeah ;)