Author Topic: New "Lupin the Third" TV series starting 2015, debuting in Italy (in 2 ways!)  (Read 131738 times)

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
It explicitly says that it will debut in May in Italy. Japanese broadcast is much later, in the Fall. I would expect NA to be waiting for a Japanese feed before we see somewhere like Funimation or Crunchyroll (or less likely, Daisuki) snag it.

Re: the Lupin theme, Ohno reportedly wanted to use a new version of Theme of Lupin the Third as the OP theme for Part III, but his existing record contracts kept him from being able to use it. (They made a special arrangement to include the song in the Legend of the Gold of Babylon film.) I think all those limitations are old news now... I mean, the TV specials have all used the Lupin theme, and the trailer uses it. I wouldn't be surprised if we get it. In fact, one of the official new series tweets mentions the Lupin Theme specifically, but I didn't check whether it was saying they'd use it or just saying "Yuji Ohno, composer of the Theme of Lupin the Third, is doing the music."

Ok, Thanks for the info! So we have to wait much later than May. OK, I can deal with that.
Still curious who will be doing the music there.

They should feature the classic '78 theme (or some version thereof, like the trailer's '79 version) within the show somewhere, but it shouldn't be the actual opening theme of the show. That one should be new.

I love Yuji Ohno, but it's time for him to branch out a little.

Since around 2006, Yuji Ohno has abandoned funk in his Lupin III OSTs. I do like Jazz and Jazz is the way to go with Lupin III,
but without the funk, I felt his recent Lupin III music has been rather "less lively" and lost its vividness.
If he does work on this new Lupin series, I hope he composes a new funky and lively Lupin III theme.

As for the opening song, I hope to hear some nice fast beat Jazzy song.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:57:56 pm by blackjacket »

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
They should feature the classic '78 theme (or some version thereof, like the trailer's '79 version) within the show somewhere, but it shouldn't be the actual opening theme of the show. That one should be new.

I love Yuji Ohno, but it's time for him to branch out a little.
Ya, Yuji Ohno is awesome, but he needs to stay fresh. If I here the Lupin the Third '78 Theme 2002 version one more time...

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
I'm just shooting in the dark at this point but since this is
a different series, with a different setting and tone, I think they would
at least remix the better known theme.

So far, each series, even the ones with music by Yuji Ohno, had a very distinct
feel from one another.

Since they want this installment to be unique and yet familiar, I think they will try and create
some new music. I sincerely hope they won't use (too much of) the red jacket titles, as cool as they are
on their own.

And it's been quite a while since I've listened to the italian dub so it will be a pleasur to hear it again.
I think the Italian dub is one of the better ones, keeping with the energy of the original japanese dub. :)
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
I've never heard any other foreign language dubs of Lupin III before, maybe I'll check out the Italian one. Have they always kept Lupin one voice actor or gone with many like in the many English dubs? I guess it depends on how many licensors Lupin has had in Italy, right?

Red Dear

• Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
Roberto del Guidicce, who dubbed Lupin in Italian from almost the start
died in 2002. I think his replacement is decent. As for the rest of the cast,
I think it fluctuated a bit more but I should find more data.

That's a good question you brought up, Penguintruth. ;)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
If you keep up with the official Lupin magazines in Japan, they'll be covering the series in the new issue.

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
Do we have any idea of an Episode count for the series? Is it a single 13 ep series like Fujiko or are they shooting for the moon and doing as many as they can if ratings hold?

Red Dear

• Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
We don't have information on the episode count yet but I'm quite certain this
info will be revealed in the Lupin III Official Magazine. ;)

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang
Do we have any idea of an Episode count for the series? Is it a single 13 ep series like Fujiko or are they shooting for the moon and doing as many as they can if ratings hold?

I expect something between 24-26 episodes.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
I can't imagine it being more than 13 eps, like last time. It's tough enough for them to come up with new material for those 90-minute specials.

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
some of the promo stuff said they were wanting to aim for 26.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
If they can get that many, good for them. But this is clearly not the same era as the one where you could just crank 'em out, and people wouldn't notice they were rarely interchangeable, and that they even jumped the shark one too many times. I mean, they tried to repeat that approach with pink jacket, and we know what happened there. Viewers are a little more discerning nowadays. What TMS ought to do is spring for popular non-Lupin manga and novel writers in Japan to contribute to the scripts for each episode. That's what they do with a lot of American and British genre shows, nowadays, right? Hire comic writers and authors to help write these series.  For example, Neil Gaiman and Dr. Who.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:19:34 am by GATSU »

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
Personally I'd hope for a 2 cour series structured like Cowboy Bebop, mostly one offs with an underlying storyline that shows up after a bit that isn't universe changing.

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
Personally I'd hope for a 2 cour series structured like Cowboy Bebop, mostly one offs with an underlying storyline that shows up after a bit that isn't universe changing.
I've been saying this for years. It's the perfect formula for a Lupin series. He spends the full run plotting some major heist, and we follow that as a sub-plot throughout a bunch of one-off shows with smaller jobs in each episode. Then the 2-part finale brings everything together.

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
What TMS ought to do is spring for popular non-Lupin manga and novel writers in Japan to contribute to the scripts for each episode. That's what they do with a lot of American and British genre shows, nowadays, right? Hire comic writers and authors to help write these series.  For example, Neil Gaiman and Dr. Who.

For how many adaptations of light novels and manga there are these days, there are surprisingly few authors with experience in writing for animation.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:59:53 pm by Aelia »