Author Topic: New "Lupin the Third" TV series starting 2015, debuting in Italy (in 2 ways!)  (Read 135953 times)

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
That's quite a lot of new characters. I wonder how many of them will be relevant and how many are random extras. Some of the past specials have left me feeling that the Lupin characters were just playing second fiddle to the new characters and their story. I doubt it's going to be a big problem since this is a series, but I do hope to see conflict and personal stakes for the usual gang instead of watching them accompany someone else on their journey and do all the paint by the numbers Lupin clich├ęs.
^This is what I am worried about the most.

Also the two nerdy fat computer guys make me nervous, those two, along with the little girl with a sniper rifle seem like characters I would see in a more recent generic anime. I just really hope these side characters don't follow too many modern anime tropes.

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
I wonder what kind of opening this show will have, especially what kind of Lupin music
Yuji Ohno will compose for the opening sequences. Opening sequences were some of my favorite parts
in the Lupin 3rd TV series.

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
Can't wait, this is gonna be awesome and Lupintastic. Or Lupintic.  8)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Ok, 'Mr. Lupin' just spotted an October 1 Japanese broadcast date for the show.

fantasticmrfox

• Part of the Gang
Edit:Broadcast begins at 3:25 eastern standard time in the US on italia 1 for anyone interested. (9:25 local time)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:49:24 pm by fantasticmrfox »

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
Since nobody seemed to have uploaded the link to the newer trailer with Japanese dub,
here is the link for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpGcxpOsIBo

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
Just a few thoughts:

Episode 1:

- This show looks so GORGEOUS. The backgrounds, the foregrounds, character designs and animation, facial expressions, subtle movements. Unf.

- I like how the show works through its environment. Everything seems natural. Even the sparse CG works the way they use it.

- Rebecca is kind of a fun character, but I don't expect to see a whole lot of her, which is good, because I could see her getting annoying if she was too important.

Episode 2:

- Hey, an episode about soccer. Didn't the second episode of the Red Jacket series also revolve around soccer, specifically stealing the money from the ticket sales for a big game?

- By the way, I hate soccer.

Episode 3:

- Now THIS is what I wanted to see. This is the best episode so far, with Lupin squaring off against a British secret agent (James Bond?).

- This show has very little respect for churches. The shoot out here reminds me of Episode 5 of Cowboy Bebop. Or Episode 2 of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. Or the John Woo movies those two homage.

- I like this guy's echo-location kind of abilities and how Lupin tries to neutralize them.

- Jigen, get down from your cross, man.

Episode 4:

- Jigen with a toothache... gee, I've never seen that one before (first episode of Red Jacket and Tokyo Crisis). But maybe the daily life of Jigen will be amusing.

- Hospital stuff, hospital stuff, more hospital stuff.

- Again, no respect for churches, and no respect for hospitals! FFS, Lupin show, those are sanctuaries.

- Do you really need, like, eight gunman in a circle just to kill some kid?

- Is Lupin going to be in this episode of this Lupin show? (Answer: Yes, at the end.)

- Wow. So far the show's been relatively bloodless, but that guy... that guy does not die an easy death.

Overall rankings: Episode 3 > Episode 1 >>> Episode 2 > Episode 4

So far, pretty good, though. Even my least favorite episode was decent. Still leagues ahead of those crappy TV specials in recent years.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
Pretty much the same opinion as PenguinTruth overall apart from a few details I'd like to discuss.

Episode 2:
Stricly my personnal opinion but I don't think the football thing makes the episode any less good. Yes, blackmail
in sport has been done in the franchise by the past but it's rare to have so much care and focus on the struggling player.
Plus, the episode's subject is the very real problem of doping and substance abuse in the sports realm as well as the
status of star players. And Italy being one of the three most obsessed nations about football (with Brazil and France),
having an episode centered around this sport in Italy makes quite a lot of sense. And for the record, I hate football too,
mostly because of the money and corruption.

Episode 4:
The mobsters circle around and shoot at the poor kid not in the primary goal of killing him, but because it's their twisted way of having fun
(think of Robocop). It's both cruel entertainment and punishment. And sadly, this is a real practice in some parts of the european underground.
The death is merely collateral.

So yeah, while very classic in terms of themes and narratives, I really liked those first 4 episodes and I'm looking forward to see where it goes next ! :D

It's a good day to be a Lupin III fan. ^^
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
Well, also, soccer is a fairly big thing in Japan, too. Thus all the Detective Conan episodes revolving around it (and baseball at times).

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
wonder if anyone's working on any scripts/subtitles yet
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:03:33 am by mikezilla2 »

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
I enjoyed all four episodes, even if I don't understand any Italian. The animation and colours looked so lively and pretty. The only bit that disappointed me a little was how small a role Rebecca had so far. They were really playing up her character and her marriage to Lupin, so I was expecting her to be a big player right from the start. But maybe that'll change later.

fantasticmrfox

• Part of the Gang
Should we have individual discussion threads or wait until the japanese premiere?

DragonmasterDan

• Part of the Gang
When did these start airing in Italy?

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
29th .....

can we share subs by themselves on here ?

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
Re: New "Lupin the Third" TV series starting 2015, debuting in Italy (in 2 ways!)
« Reply #164 on: September 01, 2015, 12:05:07 am »
Should we have individual discussion threads or wait until the japanese premiere?

I would suggest separate threads. Allows you to compare / contrast the two broadcasts. e.g., Did they clean up the animation between the two releases? Hey, did they change the billboards in the background?