Author Topic: New "Lupin the Third" TV series starting 2015, debuting in Italy (in 2 ways!)  (Read 115323 times)

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
Re: New "Lupin the Third" TV series starting 2015, debuting in Italy (in 2 ways!)
« Reply #210 on: September 22, 2015, 04:50:38 pm »
Even though it hasn't been subbed since the first week, we can all agree based on raw Italian episodes that Nix is the best new character, right? Nix is awesome.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
Re: New "Lupin the Third" TV series starting 2015, debuting in Italy (in 2 ways!)
« Reply #211 on: September 22, 2015, 08:16:12 pm »
And freaking scary ! Awesome and scary !

If you've watched the latest two episodes, folks, you'll get my meanin'. ;)

But yeah, he is easely the best character ! Dangerous but sympathetic,
part of an organisation but with personal motivations, gifted but hot headed.
Really compelling ! :D
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #212 on: September 24, 2015, 01:25:56 pm »
Yeah, I agree that Nix is the best new character. Granted, his only competition is Rebecca and I am not exactly enamored with her character.

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
« Reply #213 on: September 27, 2015, 01:12:28 am »
I got hold of the first four episodes to peruse, but I had to stop watching after the opening credits to the very first one. Awful! I took a few moments to "fix" it with good ol' "Lupin the Third '78": https://youtu.be/w2ymVyYDbtM

(Yeah, I know it premieres in Japan in just a few days and they'll probably have a proper opening at that point, but still...)

I've done a few other Lupin things on YouTube in the past, but TMS eventually had all of them taken down. We'll see how long this sticks around for.

With any luck, I'll actually watch an episode tomorrow!

EDIT: Wow, it was auto-blocked immediately. You'll just have to trust me that it's much better than the Italian opening.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 01:17:47 am by Fujiko Lover »

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2015, 03:42:22 am »
I got hold of the first four episodes to peruse, but I had to stop watching after the opening credits to the very first one. Awful! I took a few moments to "fix" it with good ol' "Lupin the Third '78": https://youtu.be/w2ymVyYDbtM

(Yeah, I know it premieres in Japan in just a few days and they'll probably have a proper opening at that point, but still...)

I've done a few other Lupin things on YouTube in the past, but TMS eventually had all of them taken down. We'll see how long this sticks around for.

With any luck, I'll actually watch an episode tomorrow!

EDIT: Wow, it was auto-blocked immediately. You'll just have to trust me that it's much better than the Italian opening.

Anything TMS does gets blocked/taken down pretty quickly on YouTube. It's why my two-part Secret of Mamo review video and Detective Conan Movie 1 review video had to be relocated to Vimeo.

Daily Motion might also be useful for that.

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2015, 07:31:33 pm »
Huh. Thanks! Maybe I'll look into one of those other options. I understand protecting your copyrights and all, but this seems excessively aggressive. What I made essentially amounted to an 80 second long fan music video. Crazy that it was just auto-blocked, too -- I actually received a notice from YouTube telling me the video was blocked a second before I received the message telling me it was uploaded and available for viewing!

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #216 on: September 27, 2015, 08:52:15 pm »
Hey, so what did you think of the background music in the show?
-R. Nelson

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #217 on: September 27, 2015, 08:58:55 pm »
There are a couple of pieces that have grown on me, but I'm really looking forward to Ohno's music in the Japanese version.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #218 on: September 27, 2015, 11:32:29 pm »
I was pretty sure everything but the opening/ending is Ohno's music in the Italian version too. But I could be wrong?
-R. Nelson

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #219 on: September 28, 2015, 12:16:44 am »
I was pretty sure everything but the opening/ending is Ohno's music in the Italian version too. But I could be wrong?

The music composition is credited towards a band called 'papik' in the Italian credits. They also have it announced on their facebook account.

Anyway, I think they've done a really good job.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #220 on: September 28, 2015, 01:54:28 am »
Ah, ok, so not in the Italian version, then. Wouldn't the Japanese audio stream that was attached to the first 4 episodes be the Ohno music, though? I have not compared the two, myself.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 02:04:13 am by Reed »
-R. Nelson

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #221 on: September 28, 2015, 03:01:26 am »
Ah, ok, so not in the Italian version, then. Wouldn't the Japanese audio stream that was attached to the first 4 episodes be the Ohno music, though? I have not compared the two, myself.

As far as I can tell, both audio streams for those first four episodes have pretty much the same music.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:02:51 am by Aelia »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #222 on: September 28, 2015, 02:27:37 pm »
As far as I can tell, both audio streams for those first four episodes have pretty much the same music.

Very interesting. Will definitely be curious to hear what Ohno puts together then, and see how it compares.
-R. Nelson

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2015, 12:42:37 am »
I just watched the first episode, and I really liked it. In general, I just think Lupin works so much better in a short-form TV format than in movies. I've always felt that even the best movies (MAMO, CAGLIOSTRO) run too long and would benefit from a trimmed run-time. A TV episode is just the right size, though I do prefer when the TV show is serialized, as FUJIKO MINE was and as this one seems to be.

My likes were:
  • The Cast: The "new" actors (has it really been four years already?) have completely grown into their roles at this point, and good ol' Kanichi is excellent as usual. But, as always, the standout for me is Kiyoshi Kobayashi as Jigen. I swear, I could just listen to him read the Japanese phone book for hours on end.
  • The Characterizations: As usual, the scheme starts as a Lupin-Jigen production, with the others coming in a little tiny bit later. I love that about their relationships. Lupin and Jigen are partners, while Goemon and Fujiko are more like occasional allies. And for some reason I found it really funny that Fujiko kept demanding her gift back from Lupin at the end.
  • The Twist: Don't want to give anything away, but I was actually surprised by the revelation near the episode's end. Hopefully this series will continue to impress in that arena.
  • The Animation & Character Designs: The former was very smooth, and I'd say it lives up to the standard of the other recent Lupin stuff I've watched, such as FUJIKO MINE and JIGEN'S GRAVESTONE. And the character designs are a nice mix of classic first and second series stuff with the more recent FUJIKO look. I really like what the characters look like here, though I believe these designs are still slightly edged out by FUJIKO as my favorite of the recent material.
As for the music -- Interesting that Yuji Ohno apparently didn't provide the score for the Italian broadcast. I wonder if it was a rights/royalties thing? Did the older Lupin series have different scores when they were localized? I found this music from Papik pretty good; there were places it reminded me a bit of Ohno, but it actually sounded more like FUJIKO MINE to me a lot of the time: very subdued jazzy stuff with some mild funk worked in.

I'm very curious to hear Ohno's take on this. Looking at the track listing for the upcoming soundtrack, it's mostly all the same stuff you'd expect: "Theme From Lupin the Third 2015", "Zantetsuken 2015", "Super Hero 2015", "Tornado 2015", "Samba Temperado 2015", and more... I hope he puts a little more "oomph" into this stuff, though. All his work has sounded so bland and homogenized for the past several years. The score to 2003's special (RETURN THE TREASURE) had a very Italian flavor to it; can't recall if part to it took place there -- but it would be cool to hear Ohno revisit that style for this series.

Anyway, great start to the series; I look forward to more, and I hope it gets decent ratings in Japan because I would love to see a new Lupin TV series every couple of years.

(And speaking of music, here's my redone opening sequence, now on Vimeo -- thanks, penguintruth -- https://vimeo.com/140748546. We'll see if it beats the previous version's YouTube record of existing for less than one second.)

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2015, 05:00:16 pm »

(And speaking of music, here's my redone opening sequence, now on Vimeo -- thanks, penguintruth -- https://vimeo.com/140748546. We'll see if it beats the previous version's YouTube record of existing for less than one second.)

Fantastic!

But I think the official Japanese opening might have you beat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=80&v=dvaosZlQqrY
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 07:06:07 pm by penguintruth »