Author Topic: "The Castle of Cagliostro" DVD & Blu-ray Feedback Thread  (Read 8996 times)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
"The Castle of Cagliostro" DVD & Blu-ray Feedback Thread
« on: December 10, 2014, 11:16:59 pm »
Hi!

Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro comes back to DVD December 23rd, 2014 January 6th, 2015. *The release was delayed slightly thanks to minor production holdups. However, depending on where you order from, you may still receive it before year's end.

FEATURES:

-1992 Streamline Pictures English Dub (Mono), newly resynced to the improved video.
-2000 Manga Entertainment English Dub (5.1 Surround on DVD, 2.0 LPCM on Blu-ray), uncut (but restored & re-mixed for Blu-ray).
-Revised, "Family-friendly" 2000 Manga English dub. 2.0 Stereo.
-Audio commentary track
-Brand-new subtitle translation by Shoko Oono
-1980 Theatrical subtitle recreation (details here)
-Openings and endings collection (ex.: the still-frame OP from the 2006 release, and the modified Streamline OP; additional OP variants included on the Blu-ray)
-Original Trailers (both with text overlays and "clean"; includes regular and 1980 subtitles; these are in HD on the Blu-ray)
-Translation Notes by Shoko Oono and Reed Nelson

Additional Blu-ray-only Extras:
-Brief interviews with Yasuo Ohtsuka, Monkey Punch, and Kazuhide Tomonaga (from a French release, first time in English).
-A slideshow of all known Miyazaki-drawn Image Boards.
-Slideshow of Model sheets by Yasuo Ohtsuka.
-Slideshow of Promotional Art (posters, notable theatrical stills)
-Storyboard mode, presented in HD
-Original scripts for both JP dubbing and 1980 English subtitled versions.
-Brief introduction by David Hayter
-Lengthy interview with David Hayter
-Audio Interview with Bob Bergen

The film is uncensored and will contain the original Japanese credits sequence that was omitted from the 2006 "Special Edition" release.

FAQ:

Q: What happened to the Yasuo Ohtsuka interview and the Storyboard viewing mode?
A: Firstly, this is a single-disc, single-sided release, so space is a serious concern. Storyboard mode would not have fit well. The Ohtsuka interview appears to be of unclear origin, so clearance issues have held it up such that it couldn't go on the DVD. Blu-ray is a maybe; not sure.

Q: Will Neil Nadelman's or Michael House's old subtitles still be on the disc?
A: No, although Mr. Nadelman graciously gave his script a once-over for us early on. As Neil put it, it had been checked and edited a variety of times since its 2000 release (a quest: try comparing the 2000 DVD subs and the 2006 DVD's version; surprisingly different in phrasing and timing). I don't have any major issues with Neil's script, but we wanted to try going for a fresh pair of eyes to see if that brought anything interesting to the surface. Turns out it did, and we have some translation notes on the disc to show for it.

A version of Mr. House's script was timed, edited, and prepared earlier on in production, but we are confident enough in the quality of the new subtitles that we abandoned it.

Q: Why didn't Mike Toole or Chris Meadows contribute a second audio commentary?
A: There are a couple of reasons. One is, this has been a hardcore pet project for me. I've worked on compiling information and artwork specifically about Cagliostro for over a year. I had a lot to say about the film, and a good portion of it doesn't make it into the finished commentary (it would be pretty breathless if I did; and I know, there's a version like that on my hard drive).
A second reason is that including an additional audio track will probably mean nixing an existing one. You might think the Blu-ray would have plenty of room for this, but it's surprising how quickly the bandwidth fills up for audio streams on both DVD and BD formats. We want to provide as many logically distinct audio streams as possible, on the BD especially.
For the curious, Chris' finished commentary has been widely available for free on the internet for over 6 years. In its most recent edit, it is well researched and entertaining (although there are a few minor errors). You don't even need to own the new Discotek release to hear it, and it's definitely worth downloading and giving a listen to.

Q: What exactly is the Family-Friendly 2000 dub?
A: The Manga Entertainment/Animaze... Inc. dub from 2000 was known for a few things: Lupin voiced by Solid Snake (David Hayter), a much more faithful script to the Japanese, and lots of added cursing. The last of these have been almost totally excised from this new dub, with rerecorded and newly edited dialogue. Only a few questionable lines remain: "Bloodlines be damned!" in Lupin's rant at the Count through the false ring, "Lord, he's a bad actor," uttered by the Interpol Chief during the wedding crash, and "That pit is a foul hell from which there is no escape," which the Count says in the tower.
Update: Apparently Zenigata says "damn" after whiffing a water Shadow in the underground. We missed this on the DVD and caught it on the Blu-ray. Speaking of which, the Blu-ray version of this edit uses the remastered/remixed audio we used for the regular Manga edit too, so it has better audio clarity on BD anyway.

Q: I bought the Blu-ray and there is no introductory paragraph about the origins of the 1980 subs.
A: Sorry, we forgot to include it on the BD. Here's what it said:
Sometime around early 1980, TMS Entertainment produced a 35mm English-language subtitled theatrical print of The Castle of Cagliostro for screenings in North America. Versions of this print were officially screened at WorldCon 1980 and later used for theatrical screenings by both Streamline Pictures and Manga Entertainment. Although these subtitles were simplified, flickery, difficult to read, and sometimes erroneous, viewing this version was a staple of early anime fandom in the United States. This adaptation also directly influenced the 1992 Streamline Pictures English-language version. The subtitles have been painstakingly restored from both a copy of the original script and a reference print of the movie, retimed and type-set to approximate the look of the original. Errors have also been faithfully reproduced to make the viewing experience as authentic as possible.

[more to come]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 02:39:15 am by Reed »
-R. Nelson

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
Re: "The Castle of Cagliostro" DVD Feedback Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 07:35:17 pm »
I ordered off of Discotek's site and got my copy today. I love the slipcover and it's amazing how much better-looking the cover itself looks compared to the last CoC DVD release. I haven't checked the disc or anything else yet, but I'll do an unboxing video later tonight.

DragonmasterDan

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 09:53:43 pm »
I ordered off of Discotek's site and got my copy today. I love the slipcover and it's amazing how much better-looking the cover itself looks compared to the last CoC DVD release. I haven't checked the disc or anything else yet, but I'll do an unboxing video later tonight.

I'd like to see that unboxing video.

Anyway, seeing as Amazon and what not are listing it as January 6th I figured I'd try what you did and order that and Horus Prince of the Sun directly from Discotek's website.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 04:54:57 pm »
MGFanJay's unboxing video can be watched here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL1A_jpBjoY
-R. Nelson

DragonmasterDan

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 11:02:29 pm »
I finished watching the DVD with commentary earlier. Here are some things I noticed.

First off I love the slipcover and insert art. It's such a huge upgrade over the previous Manga releases (that Manga special edition cover is an eyesore with too much text on it over just a still from the movie).

Reed's commentary is informative and while this is a movie I've literally seen at least 100 times in the past 20 or so years since I first watched the Streamline VHS tape this commentary track added a lot of value made it a particularly noteworthy viewing.

The color temperature is a lot better than any other releases of this movie that have passed through my hands over the years. I definitely need at least a few more viewings of this movie to take in the richness of color that this transfer/restoration has made available.

I'd love to know more about the 1980 subtitles and their origin. While I did see the blog post about this being shown at festivals and being recreated from a bootleg VHS tape or something along those lines a cool Blu-Ray feature might be going over the background of all of the different localizations, the 1980 subs, the Streamline dub, the Manga dub, and the newer subtitles and just explain their origins, what releases they were originally intended for and how they were distributed. (I should probably look through the translation notes to see how detailed the information is).

Added in edit:
One other thing I noticed is that I got the impression that Karl's master who we see when Lupin is recovering and at the end of the movie with Clarisse is a caricature of Hayao Miyazaki. Maybe I'm mistaken and just noticing a resemblance that isn't there.

Fantastic job and I am looking forward to the US Blu-Ray release!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:12:44 pm by DragonmasterDan »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 01:05:33 am »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

We have some ideas for talking more about the various localizations. If you click on the "1980 Theatrical Subs" viewing option in the Extras, it brings up a short paragraph that talks a bit about them.

I could see how Karl's master, the Groundskeeper, might've been a Miyazaki caricature if this had been made several years later, but Miyazaki was still clean-shaven in 1979.
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 01:41:48 am »
Yeah, Karl's master is most likely a nod to the grandfather in that Heidi anime Miyazaki worked on in '74.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 01:48:05 pm »
Actually a pretty sound theory.
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 04:33:08 pm »
I'm ok with the disc in general, but there's a certain Monkey Punch quote in the commentary which felt unnecessary and comes off as a blight on a film I have fond childhood memories of, broader context be damned.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 11:46:40 am »
Well, if "broader context be damned," I guess that shuts down the possible counter-arguments, so whatever.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:47:10 am by Reed »
-R. Nelson

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 06:51:47 pm »
Is there any sort of information or comparison on the color correction done on this?

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 11:25:35 am »
Here's a comparison on the DVDs, but I have nothing to do with the video on this project: http://castleofcagliostro.tumblr.com/post/86087368857/dvdcompare
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 07:38:56 pm »
Yeah, the A/V quality's a huge improvement over the Manga release. I can't complain about that.

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 02:43:17 pm »
Not sure if any of you have seen the TMS International Opening of Cagliostro on the play the lupin clip x part collection DVD/Blu-Ray, but I know the discotek release contains some different openings of cagliostro, was just wondering if it contained that one.

Its not a freeze-frame one, but its like the japanese one, but has a english castle of cagliostro logo and has english credit overlay.

JAG2045

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 08:21:58 am »
I'm really tempted to get this DVD (even though I already own the UK version) but  as Discotek are also releasing it on blu ray does anyone know if there will be any new extras?

Also does anyone know if Discotek blu rays are region free? (The only previous blu ray they had was Little Nemo but I cant find out if its region coded)

Would appreciate any help with this  :)