Author Topic: Art Books  (Read 6452 times)

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang
Art Books
« on: January 01, 2015, 07:40:04 pm »
Lately, I have been developing an interest on animation art books, especially on character designs. I was wondering wether there is a Lupin the 3rd anime art book that contains some settei from every Lupin installment or, at least, from most important ones.
Like some book containing character designs from every productions. Could that book be the one released because of the 40th Anniversary of the first series? Or it is more centered on trivia aspects of the franchise?

Anyway, I would like to hear every opinion you have about any anime art book you own  :D

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Re: Art Books
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 09:29:10 pm »
You kind of have to go back and find older art books for a proper "settei"/design sheet collection. Part III never got one past the first ~13(?) episodes There are I think some models or maybe just headshots in that 40th anniversary book but I never ordered it to get a better look. I have simply heard it's not much of a resource for production art. However, it might be better for finding TV Special production art than older books would be. Also, relevant issues of Lupin Official Magazine would probably prove fruitful for the newer works. Probably the easiest to find would be the "Cagliostro" art book since it's a Miyazaki thing and everyone loves him. All the known, official Ohtsuka-drawn model sheets are included there.
-R. Nelson

JayAukie

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 11:56:29 pm »
This link here shows a perview of some of the pages in the 40th all the animations histories book. It looks like it has  profiles pictures of all of the characters from all of the animation productions and has a section where they do a side-by-side comparison between certain episodes that were based on the manga and it looks like it is all in black and white. http://otaku.com/products/33848. I would really recommend Futabasha Art books if you could track them down. The 1971-72 series was covered in two volumes, 1977-80 in three; for 1984-85. Also I think the Pen magazine back from 2012 with the Lupin feature had a lot of great information and artwork plus you probably can get that for around 600 yen still.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:56:51 pm by JayAukie »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 11:46:46 am »
This link here shows a perview of some of the pages in the 40th all the animations histories book. It looks like it has  profiles pictures of all of the characters from all of the animation productions and has a section where they do a side-by-side comparison between certain episodes that were based on the manga and it looks like it is all in black and white. http://otaku.com/products/33848. I would really recommend Futabasha Art books if you could track them down. The 1971-72 series was covered in two volumes, 1977-80 in three; for 1984-85. Also I think the Pen magazine back from 2012 with the Lupin feature had a lot of great information and artwork plus you probably can get that for around 600 yen still.

AFAIK, nothing really covers Part III in-depth past the first handful of episodes.

I can vouch for the quality of the Futabasha volumes for TV Part I. I can't yet for Part II. I'd heard that the "Great Scene Collection[?]" series (sample cover) was the best TV2 resource, but I have one of the early ones and it just has a lot of clean, in-episode cel close-ups (each episode gets a multi-page summary), a tiny bit of original art (maybe one spread) and an interview with the VAs in the back. No settei/char. design sheets in the one I have. Maybe they include them in alternating issues? All I know for sure is that later volumes (Part V, VI) get pretty expensive ($30+) compared to the $10~$15 you'll spend on the others.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:51:41 am by Reed »
-R. Nelson

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 01:06:35 pm »
There is also the Mine Fujiko series art book. ^^
Here's a link for a preview in our fanpage: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.795959050444063.1073741911.475178502522121&type=3
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 01:07:01 pm by Red Dear »
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 01:19:14 pm »
Well, shoot if you want the Fujiko TV design sheets, I downloaded them from the web site a while ago.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5AjhfOF0uKGczF0ODhqZkMtQlU/view?usp=sharing

The ones on that Facebook page might be a little sharper, though.
-R. Nelson

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 05:16:47 pm »
Red Dear: Thank you very much! That was a pleasant surprise!

Reed: And thanks to you too! ^^ I started downloading those a while ago, but stopped by episode 3 and never got back! Thank you   :)

JayAukie: Could you tell me what does the Pen magazine issue include? Production art form Mine Fujiko solely or something more?

I have written down every title you mention. The Futabasha ones seem especially interesting, as you have pointed. Those covering Series 1 are the ones that included art work that looks like taken straight from the manga?

(click to show/hide)

The "Great Scene Collection" seem more like a series of guide books, don't they? It's a pity the last ones have high prices. The art direction that took the 2nd Series by the end of the 4th season is one of my favorites.

(click to show/hide)

I am specially interested into this Mamo art book. Sadly, I haven't found it out of some Mandarake auctions.

Then, Le Rapport Lupin includes art work from every Lupin installment up to 1999, not an exaggerated amount of production art, but enough for a fan to enjoy. The "All the Animations" book is, in fact, an upgraded -and updated- edition of this book! These two are interesting options, too. I might be buying the Cagliostro art book first, though.

In "All the Animations" book, this is listed as the design sheet for the 2nd Series:

Such a shame they did not follow these initial designs! At least, not straight.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:01:36 am by SSJ3_Goku345 »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 01:51:32 am »
Your potentially-Futabasha-related image link seems to be broken.

Yes, Great Scene Collection, from the one I have, seems to just be a guide book, but it might have some design sheets in the issues I don't have? Also, the US DVD release of TV2 includes design sheets up through about the first 50 episodes, I think? You can also see microscopic versions of those scattered throughout the margins of the Lupin the Third Perfect Books.

The Mamo book is pretty rare. And pricey. Expect to spend at least $50+int'l shipping on one.

Re: All the Animation Histories being an update of Le Rapport Lupin, that is my understanding. Also, be careful: All the Animation Histories is actually two books: Green and Red. One is larger and thus more pages. However, the larger one is NOT a "bigger and better" version of the smaller: they have completely different content! A rough explanation I was given of the two books is that the red is a "character book" and the green is "monograph." I dunno if he meant "filled with monographs" or if "monograph" was even the correct translation. Maybe he meant essays? I have no idea. If you're interested in TVSp content, I understand the green one is the one to snag.

And if you watch the first several episodes of Part II, those designs are matched fairly closely. And it looks awful (IMHO)! ;) It drifted a bit after a dozen or two eps, I seem to recall. But my memory of Part II is honestly a bit hazy. I haven't sat down to watch it in ages.
-R. Nelson

Fujikogirl23

• The Curiously Curious
  • Part of the Gang
  • "My head is full of ideas, that's why I'm crazy!"
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 10:00:25 am »
Lately, I have been developing an interest on animation art books, especially on character designs. I was wondering wether there is a Lupin the 3rd anime art book that contains some settei from every Lupin installment or, at least, from most important ones.
Like some book containing character designs from every productions. Could that book be the one released because of the 40th Anniversary of the first series? Or it is more centered on trivia aspects of the franchise?

Anyway, I would like to hear every opinion you have about any anime art book you own  :D

Funny you should mention that because there have been some classic Lupin III art books that I have been eyeing since the start of this year, myself. I'm hoping to get some of the 2nd TV series ones as well. It has my favorite art style for the series. <3

JayAukie

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 07:26:18 pm »

JayAukie: Could you tell me what does the Pen magazine issue include? Production art form Mine Fujiko solely or something more?

The Pen magazine contains production art from Mine Fujiko and early drawings from Monkey Punch as we well art from the pilot. It also contains a profile comparison of all of the character starting from the manga to the present and a neat chart that show the character relationships to other characters that have shown up over the years. Plus it has articles on Monkey Punch, Yasuo Ōtsuka, and Yasuo Yamada.

Also I would recommend the Monkey Punch art book Cuties since the style is very similar to they way he drew Lupin and his crew. It would be a bit pricey I think i usually see it around $70-100 on ebay and yahoo auctions.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:16:35 pm by JayAukie »