Author Topic: Discotek acquires Lupin vs. Conan TVSp & Lupin vs. Conan Movie. Out in October.  (Read 10825 times)

DragonmasterDan

• Part of the Gang

When you get a chance could you tell what the extras are, if any?

Just liner notes.

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
Oh cool there's slipcovers on these, can't wait until Rightstuf ships my order out.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com

When you get a chance could you tell what the extras are, if any?

Just liner notes.

I don't have a copy on-hand to verify this so take this with a grain of salt, but I think they both have TV spots/trailers too.
-R. Nelson

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
Just checked the back of the box artwork on Amazon it appears only the movie has a trailer.

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
I...kinda...unboxed them here. More like unslipcovered, as I didn't want to risk tearing the cover art since the sticker portion was stuck to the paper on both releases.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtP3dbCHwhs

Slightly disappointed by the lack of commentary tracks, but I'm looking forward to seeing the movie before as I've only seen the TV special and was fairly unimpressed with it at the time.

EdmondDantes224

• Part of the Gang
Man, its weird how few people enjoy these things.  I thought they were excellent.

I was introduced to both Lupin and Conan via their Adult Swim airings, and the idea of a crossover sounded brilliant to me.  Now, when I saw the TV Special, I went in forewarned that it was more like a Detective Conan movie that Lupin just happened to appear in, but even so I loved it.  Particularly for A) Conan's treatment of Jigen and B) Lupin's improvising during the summation.

Taking the two together, I feel like the only weakness is that while the Conan cast gets a feel for most of Lupin's gang, Goemon seems to be mostly sidelined (granted it feels like his preference), with only the Junior Detective League really getting to get close to him... also Lupin acting like he was gonna shoot Conan in the movie felt weird and off-center to me.

It was nice, though, to see a male character who doesn't absolutely love/want Fujiko ;)

A part of me almost wishes these were canon for Detective Conan... just the thought of Lupin eventually going up against the black organization (plus an in-universe explanation for Lupin's apparent agelessness) sends my thoughts racing.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Edmond: Well, if you got something out of it, then good. Discotek is happy if at least one of the fanbases of that crossover likes the specials.

EdmondDantes224

• Part of the Gang
^__^ Those specials are why I'm here, even.  Recently I was just bored of every anime ever, then looked around and found those crossovers... and it reminded me of how much I loved both shows.

Which probably means my high appraisal is a little biased but still.

(A part of me wonders how Lupin figured out the Conan/Shinichi connection so quick though)

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
As smart as Lupin is, I think it's something that would be weird if he didn't know

EdmondDantes224

• Part of the Gang
I'd rather see, I don't know... Lupin III vs Golgo 13. It's a shame Dezaki isn't around still.

A friend and I have actually been discussing this idea, and a part of me wonders how it would or even COULD possibly work.

See, the thing is, Golgo 13's whole thing is that he always fulfills his contract.  Period.  So if someone hired him to take a hit out on Lupin, he'd do it.  There would be no eleventh-hour teaming up--to do so would completely betray Golgo's character.

Likewise though, Lupin is a guy whose whole thing is that no matter what, he finds a way.  So again, to have him get killed by Golgo would be a complete betrayal.

My friend wonders if maybe Lupin could fake his death somehow... and I myself think that maybe you could have Golgo kill one of those clones that Mamo made that's conveniently still around.  Both of those seem kind of like cheats to me though, and I'm not familiar enough with Golgo to know if either would actually fly.  I also considered the possibility that maybe Golgo hasn't been payed yet and his employer tries to double cross him, but again I don't know if that would fly.

Personally if I were to do a crossover like that, my answer would be simply "don't make Lupin Golgo's target," but instead do a thing where Lupin needs someone alive but Golgo has been hired to kill that someone.  Thus Golgo can eventually succeed after said someone has fulfilled their purpose to Lupin.

I dunno though.  What do you think?

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Edmond: I think I've brought it up elsewhere, but they'd have to get the creator, Takao Saito, to write the scenario out himself. 'Cus his team's got some crazy ideas. But yeah, if you can come up with something really out there yourself, send it over to TMS's site at MonkeyPunch.com. I hear they're open to new Lupin suggestions.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:34:19 am by GATSU »