Author Topic: It's like the Cagliostro BD, but w/none of the extras. (Miyazaki BD Set in USA)  (Read 8573 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Japanese Miyazaki set coming here. And, as an aside, no On Your Mark in there. So, no sale.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 11:29:40 am by Reed »

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
Re: It's like the Cagliostro Blu-Ray, but with none of the extras.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 05:44:20 pm »
Japanese Miyazaki set coming here. And, as an aside, no On Your Mark in there. So, no sale.
Still no On Your Mark, still no chance of getting.

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 11:08:20 am »
I'm all for this release, but I don't really like the timing. I feel that it is kind of undermining Discotek's (much better) release by putting this in a boxset so shortly after it just released here.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 08:24:22 pm »
Akai: That's what I said, too. I also added that I hope they were smart enough to get paid for any discs they 'lent' to that set.

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 09:06:10 pm »
The "Yuki no Taiyo" pilot and the "Akado Suzunosuke" episodes are definitely points of interest as is the book that comes with the set.

But I'm still not sure that's worth buying duplicate copies of these movies.

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 08:05:48 pm »
Not sure why people are poo-pooing on this. It's a fair price and way less than retail with some nice bonuses. And as to "On Your Mark"...it's a 7 minute music video for crying out loud!!! If that's a deal breaker for you that's nuts. This is a great set for anyone looking to upgrade to Blu-ray, even someone who has some of the releases but not all (just sell or give away the duplicates). I actually think it's nice that Disney is doing this AND that they went through the trouble to sublicense Cagliostro which they could have easily omitted. While I have opted for the spectacular standalone Japanese releases due to the beautiful packaging and Disney's use of dubtitles on some releases I am still picking up one of these as a gift.

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 05:01:10 am »
Not sure why people are poo-pooing on this. It's a fair price and way less than retail with some nice bonuses. And as to "On Your Mark"...it's a 7 minute music video for crying out loud!!! If that's a deal breaker for you that's nuts. This is a great set for anyone looking to upgrade to Blu-ray, even someone who has some of the releases but not all (just sell or give away the duplicates). I actually think it's nice that Disney is doing this AND that they went through the trouble to sublicense Cagliostro which they could have easily omitted. While I have opted for the spectacular standalone Japanese releases due to the beautiful packaging and Disney's use of dubtitles on some releases I am still picking up one of these as a gift.
I was kinda kidding, not having a 7 min music video isn't that big of a deal, but if I were to buy a big set like this, I would want it to include everything.
I've never really been huge fan of these sets anyways, so it doesn't really matter to me.

DragonmasterDan

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 06:53:02 am »

I think there are a lot of Discotek fans here. So the possibility that this release which may be sub-licensed from Discotek, may not be sub-licensed from Discotek, may or may not be using the same quality master will likely be a lot of peoples first exposure to this movie is potentially troubling.

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 12:30:33 am »
I was kinda kidding, not having a 7 min music video isn't that big of a deal, but if I were to buy a big set like this, I would want it to include everything.
I've never really been huge fan of these sets anyways, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Gotcha, I saw a bunch of people crap on the Japanese release over this and it seemed absurd to me. If anything it made sense to pass on the Japanese version because it was lacking many of the special features from the standalone release, but a single music video seemed almost irrelevant to me and I've no idea why some folks were having a hissy-fit over it. In fact I think the reaction to the drug charges was completely acceptable and I wish our entertainment industry had similar moral standards here in the US.

I think there are a lot of Discotek fans here. So the possibility that this release which may be sub-licensed from Discotek, may not be sub-licensed from Discotek, may or may not be using the same quality master will likely be a lot of peoples first exposure to this movie is potentially troubling.

It's been sublicensed, DT confirmed this. They also provided Disney the extra materials but it is completely up to Disney as far as what makes the cut for their release. Regardless, you know people really really liked this film before DT even existed right? It's not like it is only enjoyable if it's their released version. Actually I was hoping it would be a new transfer since both of the Japanese releases have their own issues.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 05:54:20 am »
Shin:
In fact I think the reaction to the drug charges was completely acceptable and I wish our entertainment industry had similar moral standards here in the US.

Well, that's fine. But it's still a classic video.

DragonmasterDan

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 07:34:50 am »
It's been sublicensed, DT confirmed this. They also provided Disney the extra materials but it is completely up to Disney as far as what makes the cut for their release. Regardless, you know people really really liked this film before DT even existed right? It's not like it is only enjoyable if it's their released version. Actually I was hoping it would be a new transfer since both of the Japanese releases have their own issues.

No argument about people really really enjoying the film regardless. It's just a situation where you want the best possible release so everyone can get the full effect of the wonderful attention to detail paid with color, backgrounds and the overall look (and sound) of the film.

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 09:31:09 pm »
No argument about people really really enjoying the film regardless. It's just a situation where you want the best possible release so everyone can get the full effect of the wonderful attention to detail paid with color, backgrounds and the overall look (and sound) of the film.

Agreed. However the DT/Studio Ghibli transfer isn't necessarily perfect. While it fixed some issues from VAP's previous release it added some new ones of it's own. Honestly Disney taking a stab at a new transfer would have been a great opportunity for a definitive version rather than the recent
"best for now" version that we have. Anyways, doesn't matter as that's not what is happening and we have a very nice version going in the set.

DragonmasterDan

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 02:59:48 pm »
I just got my Amazon shipping notice on the US version of this set.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
From the sound of it, it's basically a US "port" of the Japanese set. So no extras on any of the films, but they're using Ghibli assets. So Cagliostro looks and sounds like the Ghibli release. Speaking of Cagliostro, it includes only the Streamine dub. Also, it reuses the subtitles present on the Japanese Ghibli Blu-ray. They added an SDH subtitle track based on the Streamline dub, also. The only "extra" on the disc is an anti-smoking message labeled as an "exciting preview."
-R. Nelson

DragonmasterDan

• Part of the Gang
From the sound of it, it's basically a US "port" of the Japanese set. So no extras on any of the films, but they're using Ghibli assets. So Cagliostro looks and sounds like the Ghibli release. Speaking of Cagliostro, it includes only the Streamine dub. Also, it reuses the subtitles present on the Japanese Ghibli Blu-ray. They added an SDH subtitle track based on the Streamline dub, also. The only "extra" on the disc is an anti-smoking message labeled as an "exciting preview."

There's Disney previews and a new menu on it too. And yeah, it's the Streamline dub alright. I don't notice the transfer as being immediately different than the Discotek one.

Added in edit: Ugh, the subtitles are lousy.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 07:03:01 pm by DragonmasterDan »