Author Topic: Adult Swim-era Fan, Back in the Game  (Read 5283 times)

J. Lucy-Daisuke

• Part of the Gang
Adult Swim-era Fan, Back in the Game
« on: September 02, 2015, 10:58:04 am »
Hi! I'm a Lupin fan from back in the Adult Swim, Tony Oliver-dub days. I remember staying up late on school nights just to check it out, sleep be damned. The first thing that attracted me to it, honestly? The cars-- I went to a lot of classic car shows at that time, so that was what really first drew my interest. And then, being a James Bond, Akira Kurosawa, and Pink Panther fan, I found a great deal more to love quickly.

Back then I did a -lot- of Lupin fan fiction. Recently, with great series and the ease and availability of a LOT more of the series than I was able to access as a teenager with a dial-up connection (possibly one of the last ones :P ), I got back into writing it, along with watching the different series. Currently I'm watching the Pink and Blue jacket series, which is a really weird dichotomy.

I'm an editor by trade (Lupin led me to this-- learning how to write along the way of publishing fanfics pays off in a weird way, I guess) so if anyone needs tips or help on fanfics or someone to look over articles, sub scripts, etc, I'm more than willing to help out! (although I've been up for three hours as of writing this, so if you spot any typos please know it's not indicative of my usual work, haha).

This series has a very special place in my heart. I made a lot of friends around the world through it back in the day, people I'm still great friends with. To the point of I'm the maid of honor at one of these friends' weddings, and most likely going to be walking down the aisle to the "Love Theme" from the red jacket series, or so I've been told.

I hope I can help out around here as well as get to talk about a series that I've loved for just under half of my life right now.

Thanks everyone!

--Lucy

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
Re: Adult Swim-era Fan, Back in the Game
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 12:45:19 pm »
Hi! I'm really happy to see another fanfic writer here (actually, I think I recently commented on one of your fics on AO3) because it doesn't feel like there are too many fic writers in the fandom right now. I see a lot of RP and fanart, but not so much fic. But maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Your friend's wedding sounds fantastic! All the best wishes! :D

J. Lucy-Daisuke

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 05:21:50 pm »
Oh gosh, you sure did! Recognized the name right away!! :) Yeah, I feel like there's just a handful of us out there anymore--I really hope the new series can drum up more interest in writing!!

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 11:35:59 am »
The forum also got a lot busier around the time of the FUJIKO series. I'm not sure what's keeping people away these days. Disinterest in Lupin? Not caring for the "forums" format for discussion? *shrug*
-R. Nelson

J. Lucy-Daisuke

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 03:46:18 pm »
We had the same thing happen at an anime forum I helped run for seven years, Reed. We thought with new series there'd be new interest, but never seemed to be it. I'm thinking in terms the blue jacket series, the fan subs, the main way a lot of people would see it initially and therefore become interested or re-interested in Lupin, have been a little bit slower to come out, so maybe it's still pretty early for people??

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 10:58:23 pm »
I still come by and read all the posts, but I just haven't felt much excitement over Lupin since "Fujiko Mine". Though I did de-lurk to post my thoughts on "Jigen's Gravestone" and I think I posted some fan art around that time. But it used to be that even when the TV specials were bland and uninteresting, I still at least looked forward to a new Yuji Ohno album every year. Then the music became just as bland and uninteresting as the specials, and I stopped picking those up, too. And in general, if something's not active and present in my life, my interest tends to wane.

I look forward to watching the new series at some point, though, and perhaps contributing to the discussions when they get rolling.

Err, anyway -- welcome, Lucy.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 12:59:23 am »
Hey man, you really need to check out the new show. The Ohno BGM feels...very different somehow. In a good way. This is coming from someone who even got tired of the "Lupin the Third JAZZ"-type BGM we were getting for the last several specials.
-R. Nelson

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 01:05:39 am »
In my experience, forum-based fandom activity is dying everywhere and never even gets a proper start for new fandoms. Everyone seems to be on Twitter or Tumblr, which I think is a shame because neither site offers good possibilities for the kind of interaction that I'm looking for. But even then, I spend more time doing Lupin things on Tumblr than here simply because that's where the action is.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 01:06:00 am by VampireNaomi »

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 09:31:57 am »
Hey man, you really need to check out the new show. The Ohno BGM feels...very different somehow. In a good way. This is coming from someone who even got tired of the "Lupin the Third JAZZ"-type BGM we were getting for the last several specials.
Thanks, I definitely intend to check it out! I'm just hoping/waiting for some subtitles. I don't like watching these things "raw". In any case, I look forward to seeing what Ohno's come up with. I was sort of hoping a new series, as opposed to yet another cookie-cutter movie, might inspire him. Sounds like that's the case!

DragonmasterDan

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 04:07:03 pm »
The forum also got a lot busier around the time of the FUJIKO series. I'm not sure what's keeping people away these days. Disinterest in Lupin? Not caring for the "forums" format for discussion? *shrug*

I suspect whenever Blue Jacket pops up legitimately in English, be it on Hulu as TMS seems to be doing or BluRay, activity will increase.