Author Topic: So....does it get better?  (Read 2075 times)

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
So....does it get better?
« on: March 20, 2016, 12:03:01 AM »
So I have held off on watching any of Series 4 until I could watch it all the way through and avoided the fansubs since they seemed to omit several episodes. I expected that to be when, hopefully, DT releases it on Blu-Ray but with Crunchyroll now having all the Japanese episodes I started watching. I LOVED the first episode. It almost felt like they got a film's worth of content into the ~22 minutes of the episode and it was funny, fresh, and still classic Lupin all at once. And then I watched the next three episodes (the Soccer one, Lupin vs Nix over the Marie Antoinette jewels, and Jigen vs Eric the Unkiller)....bluargh. What a bunch of filler swill. That last episode especially...they paid someone to write that crap? Seriously there are better written fan fics out there. And most of the animation in Ep 4 was really sloppy and basic.

Like I said I loved the first episode and the promise that it offered for the series but the subsequent episodes have me honestly considering going no further. By contrast I felt that Fujiko was much more consistent and only didn't enjoy the episode about Oscar because it relished in being queer simply for the sake of having a homosexual side-kick character not because it was interesting, well thought out, or even a relevant aspect of the character, someone just decided they needed that anime trope so let's be cliched! But otherwise I felt that each episode of Fujiko delivered and lead to an amazing finale.

Does series 4 get better? And I mean DRASTICALLY better....perhaps even MIND-BLOWINLGLY better?!?! Because I honestly want the last hour of my life back right now...

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
Re: So....does it get better?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 01:34:37 PM »
Harsh words ! But well, to each his own and every opinion is valid. ^^ However, while I can't tell you if you would consider the series to be better onward, mainly because I don't really know you criteria, I think you should give it a shot, first to make a proper opinion (it's better to review something in its entierty) and second because I consider that they are a lot of good elements, ideas and execution in this italian based series and I personaly loved it from beginning to end. But again, in the end, it's your own choice. ^^
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 04:41:07 PM »
"avoided the fansubs since they seemed to omit several episodes"

thats becasue those two episodes are dvd only in japan.

but yes it dos get alot better
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 04:41:33 PM by mikezilla2 »

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 06:52:33 PM »
Harsh words ! But well, to each his own and every opinion is valid. ^^ However, while I can't tell you if you would consider the series to be better onward, mainly because I don't really know you criteria, I think you should give it a shot, first to make a proper opinion (it's better to review something in its entierty) and second because I consider that they are a lot of good elements, ideas and execution in this italian based series and I personaly loved it from beginning to end. But again, in the end, it's your own choice. ^^

Hmmm...this doesn't tell me much since I felt there was a huge quality drop in the first few episodes and you didn't. I can't really agree that I need to see the entire series to form an opinion, though. In fact, had I walked out of Star Wars VII 20 minutes in I could have saved two hours and still told the next person that it was scene for scene almost a re-shoot of the original film, lol. But thanks for the thoughts.

"avoided the fansubs since they seemed to omit several episodes"

thats becasue those two episodes are dvd only in japan.

but yes it dos get alot better
The ones I saw online jumped from episode 2 to something like episode 14; and I'd rather watch officially licensed stuff anyways so I made no further efforts. The Crunchyroll release seems to be omitting those two episodes as well; but I can certainly wait on two episodes. I'm more concerned about the totality of the series because I feel like we went from Fuma with Episode 1 to Twilight Gemini (or any other forgettable TV special-insert your least favorite) by Episode 4.

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 01:33:31 AM »
I greatly enjoyed the new series, even so much that I'd rank it as my favourite Lupin series. It gave me everything that I could ask for from Lupin, but there were some episodes I didn't like (especially the circus episode and the one in which the characters try to figure out why portraits of them are showing up on walls). I also wasn't really a fan of the overall plotline. Most of my favourite episodes were standalone adventures.

If you didn't like the three after the first one, I'd still check out at least a few more because 2-4 were among the weaker episodes in my opinion. I'd suggest at least the one with Zenigata and the heiress, the Goemon episode, the haunted hotel episode, the goofy dog episode, the one in which Lupin and Nix try to steal the same target, and the Japan episode. Can't remember the numbers right now, but they should be easy to identify. All these episodes are pretty different in tone as well, so they give a decent overview of what the series can do.

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 01:56:49 AM »
^Those would be 6, 8, 9, 16, 19, & 21, I would also add 13, which is when Zenigata captures Lupin and puts him in a island prison, it's really similar to episode 4 of part 1, but still pretty enjoyable.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:57:06 AM by SolHerald »

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 02:09:56 AM »
I really recommend "The Murdering Marionette", as well. Really fun character interactions. I'm not sure why, but it feels like it could've been a story from the original manga series. Maybe it's
(click to show/hide)
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 09:26:37 PM »
So I gave it another shot and the subsequent episodes do get much better overall. I especially enjoyed Zapping Operation and the Haunted Hotel episodes. I guess I just expected a lot more consistency after Fujiko which as I said I only felt had one weak episode. But it has gotten better and I'll keep going. Wish Crunchy Roll had the Venice of the Dead episode but oh well.