Author Topic: "Jigen's Gravestone" DVD & Blu-ray Feedback Thread  (Read 1869 times)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
"Jigen's Gravestone" DVD & Blu-ray Feedback Thread
« on: April 13, 2016, 12:04:59 pm »
I had nothing to do with this one, really, but feel free to talk about it here.

Both Blu-ray Disc and DVD versions are now available.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:05:14 pm by Reed »
-R. Nelson

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
Re: "Jigen's Gravestone" DVD & Blu-ray Feedback Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 09:49:39 pm »
Great movie. But man that Fujiko stuff is really weird in this one.

SurrealBrain

• Part of the Gang
  • Hello there!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 11:09:18 pm »
Well, I decided to finish my marathon of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine with this. I decided to put my review of this specific film here.

I enjoyed it. I didn't like it as much as the series proper, but I enjoyed it. The Fujiko scenes were...odd. But it was great to see Lupin and Jigen getting friendlier with one another. It's the start of a beautiful friendship. *tear in eye*

I admit, I didn't like the animation in this one as much. I think the coloring felt more...typical. I liked the more unique approach of the show itself. But in its own, it looks pretty good.

The dub for this one was good enough. I would have preferred the cast of TWCFM to come back, if mainly for consistency's sake, but I think Lupin and Jigen's VAs did a good job. Christina Vee did a good job imitating Michelle Ruff, though I do wish she put her own interpretation in there. But I still like it. Richard Epcar returns as Zenigata, but he only appears briefly. Everyone else did a good enough job.

Since this is the DVD/Blu-Ray feedback thread, the special features...aren't much to talk about. I wish there was more in there other than some trailers. That said, it's probably a good thing; Discotek made a gamble just commissioning a dub, so I don't know if that left much for any extras.

It was a good work, just not as good as TWCFM. I liked it, though.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 02:36:00 am »
Just got my copy today. Very nice release (and I'm gonna have "Revolver Fires" stuck in my head all day tomorrow, thanks to the blu-ray menu). I do have to agree that the special features are a little underwhelming, but to be fair, it's only a 50-minute movie. Probably not much to add to it aside from trailers and credits.

Really, I think my biggest complaint is the lack of "dubtitles". Sure, it's not the best dub of a Lupin feature (they already had Richard Epcar there as Zenigata! Why the hell didn't they get him to play Jigen, too?), but as someone who's hard-of-hearing and prefers watching things in my native language if I have a choice, I really wish there was a separate subtitle track for the dub (man, it really bugged me when Funimation quit doing that for their releases), but I suppose that's par for the course. I imagine hard-of-hearing anime fans aren't exactly a huge group.

As for the movie itself, I've told my piece on it before, but for the short version
(click to show/hide)
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

JAG2045

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 02:58:41 pm »
Really liked this movie and the dub cast were very good, hopefully Discotek will get them back for more Lupin dubs in the future

Only downside was the lack of extras, a commentary would have been nice as would a simple documentary or something about the dubbing process or interviews with the new cast

Overall another great Discotek release  ;)