Author Topic: "Alcatraz Connection" DVD feedback thread  (Read 1697 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
"Alcatraz Connection" DVD feedback thread
« on: June 13, 2016, 02:28:58 am »
No problems with the disc or the production values, but unfortunately, it wasn't one of the more compelling plots in the series for me.  :-\ One-dimensional villains; lazy conspiracy theories; Fujiko hardly has a reason to be there; and that 'Lupin girl' near the end is not very interesting or sympathetic. Maybe your Boomer parents will dig it, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:31:15 am by GATSU »

SurrealBrain

• Part of the Gang
  • Hello there!
Re: "Alcatraz Connection" DVD feedback thread
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 08:25:38 pm »
The special is neither good enough to praise nor bad enough to rip to shreds. It's always awesome to see Lupin and the gang pulling heists, but I'd be lying if I said it was a great place to do so.

Definitely not my favorite Lupin film, special or otherwise. Kinda boring for the most part, though it has just enough moments to keep me watching. I give it a three out of five.

As for the DVD extras, the liner notes are always a nice read, but sadly, there isn't much more. Not a deal breaker for me (in my case, the main thing I'm there for is the show or movie itself), but I can see others being disappointed.

I've got Voyage to Danger on pre-order, with Nostradamus coming in the mail. Hopefully, if nothing else, they'll be more interesting watches (for one reason or another).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:33:18 pm by SurrealBrain »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 11:25:08 pm »
Voyage to Danger's cool, but Nostradamus is an 'acquired' taste.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 12:41:09 am »
Didn't Masaaki Osumi direct Voyage to Danger? As rough and inconsistent as it was, I really liked his tenure on Green Jacket (moreso over Miyazaki's "safer" approach, although both turned out great episodes), and have been wondering how his return to the franchise was.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 10:20:43 am »
This is one of my favorite TV Specials, I primarily just like the settings of it a lot.

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 10:52:03 am »
that and the characters seem interesting pity there isn't a commentary 

( has anyone done one ?)