Author Topic: Goemon gets the dark and gritty treatment in Jigen's Gravestone sequel.  (Read 42726 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Details here, courtesy of @lupincentral. So, from this trailer, does it mean he's breaking his oath, and killing people like Batman, now? Or are his opponents just that ruthless this time?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:22:44 am by GATSU »

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
Re: Goemon gets the dark and gritty treatment in Jigen's Gravestone sequel.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 09:48:27 am »
Very exciting! If these two conditions are filled, there'll be no end to my joy:

1) Goemon actually playing a significant role
2) no threats of sexual violence towards Fujiko

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 09:49:44 am »
I was just going to post ANN's Article but you beat me to the Punch. Wonder what this would be titled if Discotek got it. Lupin the Third: Goemon's Blood Spray?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 09:51:54 am by Rhys2753 »

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 10:33:12 am »
Consider me very excited  ;D. I really enjoyed Jigen's Gravestone, so another Koike-directed Lupin is absolutely OK with me.

Also...that promo image of Goemon looks pretty badass.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 12:57:14 pm »
Jigen's Gravestone is probably my third-favorite movie in the series (after Cagliostro and Mamo, of course). I loved it immensely (save for the bit with Fujiko and the robot), so I'm naturally really hyped about this one. Wonder if it'll be a prequel, too? And if Lupin will get a new jacket?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 01:06:23 pm »
The Gravestone of Daisuke Jigen was one of the best Lupin films I'd seen, because of its stellar artwork from Takeshi Koike and its film-noir adventure tale. My only serious disappointment with it was the lack of Goemon, even though it was a gunslinger's tale and he'd have had little to do in such a story.

Thankfully, this seems to be a sequel to Gravestone, with Lupin and Co encountering Goemon for the first time. With the same crew on board, I have faith it will be as awesome as Gravestone was.

SurrealBrain

• Part of the Gang
  • Hello there!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 01:28:55 pm »
Didn't expect this style to go past Jigen's Gravestone. Glad to be wrong!

I wonder what we can expect. If they're still going with the angle of this being a prequel to Green Jacket, then Lupin and Jigen might not meet Goemon face to face.

Though they could decide to throw that angle out, or have it go into stories set either during or after Green Jacket. Crazier things happened.

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 01:53:21 pm »
I wonder what we can expect. If they're still going with the angle of this being a prequel to Green Jacket, then Lupin and Jigen might not meet Goemon face to face.

I was thinking the same, but someone on Tumblr pointed out that Lupin put Goemon in the scrapbook in the end of Gravestone, so he must be familiar with him already. I hope the gang all know each other already because if Lupin is going to have his own plot separate from Goemon, I fear it might eat Goemon's screen time. I really want to have as much of him as possible since he gets shafted so often.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 01:53:49 pm by VampireNaomi »

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 03:29:10 pm »
I was thinking the same, but someone on Tumblr pointed out that Lupin put Goemon in the scrapbook in the end of Gravestone, so he must be familiar with him already.
I took that as Lupin learning about Goemon's existence thanks to the book. Like, he hears about this young assassin thanks to the book, then makes a mental note to look into it when he gets back to Japan? Of course, this is more headcanon than anything.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 03:41:39 pm »
I took that as Lupin learning about Goemon's existence thanks to the book. Like, he hears about this young assassin thanks to the book, then makes a mental note to look into it when he gets back to Japan? Of course, this is more headcanon than anything.

Could be! The fact that all the relevant photos were on the same two pages implies something of a connection to me, but it could really be explained with anything. I hope they release more info about the plot soon because I'm very interested in knowing whether the gang will work together or not.

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 07:14:36 pm »
Really excited for this! I was kinda hoping for Mamo remake, but now that I think about it, if Koike continues these maybe he can make one of these movies for every character, and then end it all off with them facing off agaisnt Mamo.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 07:34:30 pm by SolHerald »

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 12:44:21 am »
Count me in! For the most part, I really like the "Fujiko Mine" continuity. I hope to see more of these every couple years!

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 10:51:12 am »

Could be! The fact that all the relevant photos were on the same two pages implies something of a connection to me, but it could really be explained with anything. I hope they release more info about the plot soon because I'm very interested in knowing whether the gang will work together or not.

Indeed this small scene in Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone proves Lupin knows Goemon's existence. The actual place of the "Koike-verse" in the Lupin canon isn't certain.

I really hope this new spin-off film will actually put Goemon in the center of the story. Jigen wasn't the actual protagonist in "Gravestone", though he was still instrumental to the whole story.

Still, I am incredibly hyped for this new spin-off ! I recently said that while Lupin III Part IV was great, I am all for the slightly grittier side of the franchise. Go Koike ! :D
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 11:22:09 pm »
Details here, courtesy of @lupincentral. So, from this trailer, does it mean he's breaking his oath, and killing people like Batman, now? Or are his opponents just that ruthless this time?

I am confused. What oath? In Fuma Conspiracy he kills opponents, he's a paid assassin in Blue Jacket, and a straight up murderer in the first series, seems like there are other instances I recall but can't place off top of my head...

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 11:26:27 pm »
Lol, forgot to say I am thrilled about this. When Fujiko finished I told my wife (who didn't care for the series-she likes lighthearted, silly lupin) that I'd love to see a second season that focused on Goemon and Jigen in the same style. So this is a nice surprise given that Fujiko's lack of success made the anything like the Jigen special seem an unlikely possibility and now we have a Koike Goemon special also!