Author Topic: Goemon gets the dark and gritty treatment in Jigen's Gravestone sequel.  (Read 33683 times)

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
Re: Goemon gets the dark and gritty treatment in Jigen's Gravestone sequel.
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2016, 04:39:28 pm »
I am so excited!!! I want to see this thing as soon as possible. I'm hopeful that Discotek will pick this up like they did with Jigen's Gravestone. It's a shame that there's not really a market for this in the U..S because I would love to see it on the big screen.

Some brief observations of the teaser:

Much like Jigen's Gravestone, it's obvious that this film is going to have some fantastic visuals. These shots in particular stood out to me the most (especially the one with Goemon jumping in the air while unsheathing the Zantetsuken becasue it's so badass). Koike directing Lupin is one the best things that happened to the franchise, and I can't wait to see what he'll do next.

The Koike-verse has had some menacing villains with the ever-creepy "Fraulein Eule" guys and Yael Okuzaki, and it seems like this "Bermuda Spectre" fella is going to keep that streak running. I'm also getting a real Jaws vibe from those metal teeth.

Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of Zenigata's portrayal in the Fujiko Mine series. It worked for what it was, but it's definitely not my favorite interpretation of the character. I do, however, really like his character design and it's cool to see him with the classic color scheme. Hopefully he'll have a bigger role in this than he did in "Jigen's Gravestone".

Lookin' pretty suave in that black Jacket, Lupin. When I saw the first teaser, I thought that he would be back in his Green Jacket, but I like the new choice.

I have no idea what's going on here, but it looks awesome!!!

I have a feeling this scene is going to be highly entertaining. It'll be fun to see how Lupin and Jigen get out of this one.

Last but not least...

Fujiko smoking a bong. She's always been one for a life of leisure, so this seems pretty appropriate for her character. I also dig the new hairstyle.

Everything we've seen for this movie seems promising so far. I'm really looking forward to it!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 04:44:03 pm by Thief in a Red Jacket »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2016, 10:30:09 pm »
Thief:
It's a shame that there's not really a market for this in the U..S because I would love to see it on the big screen.

You could always try to pester Daisuki to do some Fathom-style release for it...

but I like the new choice.

It's actually not the first time they gave him one of those. There was a Michael Jackson-style figure of him released with that jacket a few years ago.

Fujiko smoking a bong. She's always been one for a life of leisure, so this seems pretty appropriate for her character.

They'll probably try to get away with it, like some of the head shops around here, by saying it's for tobacco.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2016, 02:27:28 pm »
Though one can argue that TWCFM and Jigen's Gravestone can still work as prequels to the existing stuff even then, and just say after Jigen's Gravestone it diverges into two or more timelines, one being this film, and the other being the stuff we've seen already. Hey, it worked for other franchises, so why not?
Yeah, that's the approach I'm gonna take.

Much like Jigen's Gravestone, it's obvious that this film is going to have some fantastic visuals. These shots in particular stood out to me the most (especially the one with Goemon jumping in the air while unsheathing the Zantetsuken becasue it's so badass). Koike directing Lupin is one the best things that happened to the franchise, and I can't wait to see what he'll do next.
I'm not sure that's Zantetsuken. The spiffy sheath and scabbard (particularly with the guard) are different from the plain wooden one it usually has. Maybe this will be the story of how Goemon acquired Zantetsuken, and this is the sword he was using before?

The Koike-verse has had some menacing villains with the ever-creepy "Fraulein Eule" guys and Yael Okuzaki, and it seems like this "Bermuda Spectre" fella is going to keep that streak running. I'm also getting a real Jaws vibe from those metal teeth.
Definitely. He's large and seemingly overweight, but he's not drawn to be disgusting-looking like most fat villains are. It's kind of an unusual look for a villain in this series. And the metal teeth are definitely a James Bond homage (as well as a nice Monkey Punch-like touch).

Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of Zenigata's portrayal in the Fujiko Mine series. It worked for what it was, but it's definitely not my favorite interpretation of the character.
Agreed. Despite the character designs, I believe the Koike-directed movies have different writers than the TV series did, so maybe we'll see a more faithful take on the character.

I have no idea what's going on here, but it looks awesome!!!
Now THAT looks like Zantetsuken!

Last but not least...

Fujiko smoking a bong. She's always been one for a life of leisure, so this seems pretty appropriate for her character.
Assuming it's like the other Lupin stuff Koike's worked on, we're looking at a 1960s-70s period piece, so if nothing else, it fits the era.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2016, 05:10:00 pm »
I'm not sure that's Zantetsuken. The spiffy sheath and scabbard (particularly with the guard) are different from the plain wooden one it usually has. Maybe this will be the story of how Goemon acquired Zantetsuken, and this is the sword he was using before?

I should have looked closer at the snapshot haha. Thanks for pointing that out. Yeah, that's most likely not the Zantetsuken. If I'm not mistaken the only appearance of Goemon pre-Zantetsuken is First Contact. It'll be interesting to see another take on Goemon acquiring it if that's what they're going for. There is the possibility that he just doesn't have it with him in this scene, but that seems unlikely IMO.

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2016, 09:15:31 pm »
almost every other anime flick makes it to the big screen now in a limted viewing opertunity why cant this ?

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2016, 12:15:14 am »
Nothing important, just more stills. Here's a hatless Jigen, while Zenigata does need his stinking badge.

Edit: Still not important. But if you've ever wanted to follow an official Lupin Tumblr account, now's your chance.

Edit 2: Moving on, Goemon gets ready for his Linkin Park-themed AMV. Also, I guess he wasn't able to successfully master fusion with Vegeta or Goku.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:28:18 am by GATSU »

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2016, 08:48:08 pm »
It's not much, but there's some new snippets of footage in this interview with Daisuke Namikawa.

https://mobile.twitter.com/saru5542/status/810997395362234372

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2016, 05:17:47 pm »
Oh, and if you're really impatient, here's a look at the import Blu-Ray set.

Edit: Plus, via @Telecom_anime, stills from the footage link posted above me.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:26:28 pm by GATSU »

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2016, 10:03:45 pm »
whens that set come out ?

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2016, 12:19:01 am »
May 26th for the DVD release in Japan.
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2016, 01:19:37 pm »
You can also apparently buy the Blu-Ray early at the theaters showing the film.

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2016, 09:14:48 pm »
https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_ja_JP=%E3%82%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AB%E3%83%8A&url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=%E8%A1%80%E7%85%99%E3%81%AE%E7%9F%B3%E5%B7%9D%E4%BA%94%E3%82%A7%E9%96%80
According to these amazon listings, the standard editions are 51 minutes whereas the limited editions are listed as 53 minutes. I kinda doubt they'd have that difference going on, but I'm more miffed that it's going to be another under an hour affair. but then again that might make this more appealing to Discotek go give it the dub treatment.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:17:16 pm by Rhys2753 »

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2016, 04:54:41 pm »
Thank you everyone for the information!

From my experience acquiring the limited edition of Gravestone, I can tell the added 2 minutes of footage might be trailers and TV spots included as extras. Gravestone included two trailers of 30 seconds and two spots of 15 seconds each, if I'm not wrong.

They might be following the same route this time.

BTW, I highly recommend purchasing the limited edition, if you're willing to buy the Japanese edition. Gravestone's included two booklets; one including complete settei of the movie (EVERY single thing appearing on screen) and the other including samples of cels following key animation throughout the film. They also include a ton of production info and some interviews.

Summing up, I believe it's the second best animation Art Book I've ever had in hand (the first one is the Newtype Evangelion Art Book, God made book...). Let's hope this new pack includes art books at least as awesome as the last one...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:06:21 pm by SSJ3_Goku345 »

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2016, 11:09:38 pm »
Thank you everyone for the information!

From my experience acquiring the limited edition of Gravestone, I can tell the added 2 minutes of footage might be trailers and TV spots included as extras. Gravestone included two trailers of 30 seconds and two spots of 15 seconds each, if I'm not wrong.

They might be following the same route this time.

BTW, I highly recommend purchasing the limited edition, if you're willing to buy the Japanese edition. Gravestone's included two booklets; one including complete settei of the movie (EVERY single thing appearing on screen) and the other including samples of cels following key animation throughout the film. They also include a ton of production info and some interviews.

Summing up, I believe it's the second best animation Art Book I've ever had in hand (the first one is the Newtype Evangelion Art Book, God made book...). Let's hope this new pack includes art books at least as awesome as the last one...

I agree that the Jigen books are awesome! Main reason I am considering this release. Ironically when I first saw photos of the books I tried to figure out where to buy them, didn't realize I already had them, lol. I had already watched fan subs and was waiting for DT's release and hadn't even opened the JP release. I had actually bought it solely for this specific version for the amazing canvas art print that came with it:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00MP5WS7Q/

I'm holding off a bit for preordering as I am hoping Amazon JP will get another exclusive set of canvas prints to choose from for the Goemon special.

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2016, 03:34:32 pm »
Yes, it might be early to preorder yet. There's plenty of time left until May...

The canvas for Gravestone were awesome, thought I just bought the limited DVD edition with this Koike-designed box. I have to confess that I like Gravestone's "art pieces" more than the new ones, though I was very eager to see again Koike designing something more in tone with his actual style.

I'm talking of this one, in particular.
(click to show/hide)