Author Topic: Goemon gets the dark and gritty treatment in Jigen's Gravestone sequel.  (Read 8761 times)

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
Re: Goemon gets the dark and gritty treatment in Jigen's Gravestone sequel.
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2017, 10:44:40 AM »
I saw this on Twitter and it's really making me wonder how around 50 minutes is going to be enough to tell the story that a lot of the screenshots imply. The movie probably has a simpler plot and less focus on various elements of it than my imagination is making me think, but so far it looks like every regular character has something cool going on for them. I hope the pacing is excellent and that the movie won't feel rushed.

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2017, 11:19:36 AM »
For anyone who's interested, there's an 11-minute featurette here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Cjfb4zFpM

The video features interviews with Takeshi Koike, Kanichi Kurita, and Daisuke Namikawa. There's also a lot of new footage. If that's something you wish to avoid then I wouldn't recommend watching it.

I got around 2 minutes in and decided to stop. I'd like to go in as fresh as possible, especially since the movie's only 52 minutes long.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:21:26 AM by Thief in a Red Jacket »

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2017, 12:20:31 PM »
I watched the whole thing, though I did think twice about whether I wanted to see that much beforehand. But in the end I gathered nothing from these clips that I hadn't already figured out from the earlier clips and screenshots. This movie looks like tons of fun. There were lots of intriguing clips that I can't wait to see in their proper context, and it really does seem like Goemon is in the spotlight for real, not just in name only.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2017, 01:40:12 PM »
I decided to go watch the video and didn't feel spoiled at all. I agree with VampireNaomi on this one.
It seems to me that the footage confirms that Lupin and Co will not directly interact with Goemon, only
watching him from a hideout. This would further confirm the spin-off movies do try to stay coherent
with the first series, since Lupin nor Jigen officially met Goemon before series one, in the anime "canon".

But that new movie would slightly alter our vision. It states that Lupin and Jigen already saw Goemon and
observed what he was capable about. And that would be their first reason to actually approach Goemon in the
green jacket series (Fujiko already knew Goemon from Mine Fujiko To Iu Onna).

I still think they are a few incoherences, but it is not the main interest from those spin-off movies.

And indeed, it really looks like Goemon is the actual protagonist, not in name only. ^^
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2017, 06:17:03 PM »
You know, for a company trying to go out of its way to pretend it didn't hear fan suggestions, TMS still couldn't entirely avoid incorporating the Lupin vs. Golgo request.  ::)

Edit: I'm going to guess they hired some of the Sword of the Stranger, Afro Samurai, and/or Ninja Scroll animators for this gig. And it's pushing it, but maybe also Samurai Champloo?

Edit 2: Is it ok to admit that what really impressed me about the vid is that sequence of sword and scabbard sketches at around the 7 minute mark? 

Edit 3: RE: 7:34. Someone really liked Miyazaki's Laputa/Castle in the Sky.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:45:00 PM by GATSU »

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2017, 07:49:45 PM »
anyone able to get any proper subs for it ?

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »
anyone able to get any proper subs for it ?

For the featurette or the movie? Either way the answer to both is probably a no.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2017, 04:25:39 AM »
Via @JamesShimoji, the composer, samples of the upcoming OST, out on the 4th.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2017, 01:41:40 PM »
New director interview with Google 'translation', for your displeasure.  :P Trying to avoid any spoilers, too.

── Previous work "Woman named Fujiko Mine" was acting as a character design / drawing director. I think that the "LUPIN THE IIIRD" series is drawn to the original line of Professor Monkey Punch, but I also feel the dynamism like "REDLINE" "PARTY 7".

Takeshi Koike (hereinafter Koike)
Until "REDLINE" was conscious of the American comic, I was making a screen that makes the shadow black solid to add shadows. I was keen to make writer nature. But in the "LUPIN THE IIIRD" series we make it with the feeling that "I think that no matter who looks it is Lupine The Third. The consciousness of how to make is different.

── What role is Creative Advisor Ishii Katsuhito?

Koike
Should I say it as an image adviser or concept advisor ...... I got advice on how to show the character image of Gohon, the enemy character of Goemon, Goemon. The idea of crying, puzzled, embarrassing emotions of Goemon, the depiction...and expressions....Ishii-san's idea.

──Tags are assembled from the part related to the foundation of the work. It is said that the manner in which the drawn-out gate is crawling up seems to be gate gem. In the previous work, the dimension was overcome with buddy feeling with Lupine, but the gate is completely different.

Koike
As a matter of fact, Goemon is the enemy of Lupine. I have never worked together, and I'm rather aiming Lupine's head. So Lupine did not help the gates as in the dimension, but watched, there was no choice.

── The nuance of the character differs slightly between the original and the TV series. Which one would you like to bring?

Koike
Episodes where the gates are appearing in the original and first lupine, both situations and character settings are nearly as close as possible. There is a feeling that I am somewhat cheeky now, the current work is also approaching there. I made it by imagining the five gates after Five Lupine's stories.

─ ─ "LUPIN THE IIIRD" series was not only talk but also expressive as it was Lupine for adults it appeared everywhere. Especially depictions of scars are depicted up to the muscles and bones.

Koike
I thought that feeling of tension would not come if I did not depict the interaction of life, and the depiction that seemed painful seemed to be very painful (laugh). I could not remove the description of the cut surface in expressing sharpness due to the sharpness of the sword, Sword speed of the gate.

Please tell me the encounter with the monkey punch work.

Koike
It is time for a high school student. I was impressed by the coolness of being too cool by reading in a book or "cartoon action". It was cheerful because of the Western style which the Japanese was away from, and other visuals were very attractive. At that time, I was very careful how to put the atmosphere of Lupine of Mr. Monkey Punch who was impacted and the atmosphere of First Lupine of TV animation to this image.

─ ─ From that time I was attracted by American style paintings and Western style paintings.

Koike
You liked it. However, rather than reading the American cheeks, I liked the visuals.

─ ─ Do you like visuals with dynamic feeling?

Koike
There are also opportunities to enter this industry and work with overseas animators. One of them is Peter Chung, a creator who made the opening animation of "PARTY 7" together. His cheap picture is already stylish. On the other hand he is a fan of animation in Japan and he respects Masters / Kaneda Iko very much. I also heard that he adored Kaneda and started animation work. I love him as well as Kaneda-san, so there are times when I was working as if I could put both elements into myself. Ishii (Katsuhito) also liked animation and saw "Aeon flux", and he and I talked to Peter Chung during the planning of "PARTY 7".

──This is also Lupine, but after "PARTY 7" I have been with Dr. Ishii for a variety of work with Director Koike. That's a big work in that sense.

Koike
I agree.

── Please tell me if you have a favorite character, scenes that I enjoyed drawing with now.

Koike
There are many uncles this time (haha), because the characters' expressions are rich, I can draw with momentum. It was fun to draw. In group play, there were a lot of characters and it took us a lot of time, and as there were many characters, there were many scenes to draw with telephoto, but it was tough, but there were challenges. I want you to see the scenes of Goemon's swordsmanship...

── How do you feel about Ishikawa Goemon played by Namikawa Daisuke?

Koike
Just as Mr. Namikawa plays, it is perfect. Every take is wonderful. There were times when I placed orders several times, but there were many things like "It is different from the image but OK from OK".

── What kind of order actually was issued?

Koike
It was the first half that I got an atmosphere of immature gates. I asked them to put some feelings on the dialogue. In the second half I got astringent and sorrow. There is also a sense of accomplishment by opening the eyes. But since he is cutting a person, there is also a conflict that it is out of the way of people. Always question yourself whether it is good or bad.

─ ─ "Lupine the 3rd" is animated by various people. Why do you think that is loved so far for so long?

Koike
I think that it is the charm of a character. It is a relationship of adults who do not stick to the relationship of Lupine, dimension, Goemon, Fujiko. It is mature that "friendship is important" or "trust" is not said. I want to cherish the world of adult animation that I had a glimpse at Lupine when I was a child. I think that there is the most appealing of this work.

─ ─ Finally, please give another point of sight of this work.

Koike
This time I took a spot on Goemon. The highlight is swordsmaking after all! And I think that I could carefully make psychological depictions in which the gate gate creeps up and creeps up. Please do watch it at the theater.

Edit: BTW, Party 7 is a live-action film, which is why I was confused about not finding it on ANN, even though it was described as such on Wikipedia.  :-[ Oh, well.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 01:56:22 PM by GATSU »

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2017, 12:24:41 PM »
Here's an older video I hadn't seen until now.

(click to show/hide)

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2017, 10:31:49 AM »
Spiler filled review [WARNING: SPOILERS]

http://www.anime-now.com/entry/2017/02/07/000024?utm_campaign=ANN

I caved and read it, no mention of a Fujiko vs. Robot type scene so that should be a plus for some, but it sounds SO BAD ASS  I can't wait to see it. PLEASE DISCOTEK PLEASE!!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:40:46 AM by Rhys2753 »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2017, 10:35:03 AM »
An early look at the art and specs for the Japanese Blu-Ray.

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2017, 01:06:16 AM »
Has anyone seen this yet? How did they find it?

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2017, 08:18:58 PM »
Has anyone seen this yet? How did they find it?
It won't be released on Blu-Ray/DVD in Japan until May 26th, so I doubt there'll be any fansubs online until then.

I've still got my fingers crossed for a licensing announcement from Discotek sometime soon.

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2017, 09:34:16 AM »
Have there been any reports yet of how this is doing and selling tickets? Has it been well received in Japan?