Author Topic: Goemon gets the dark and gritty treatment in Jigen's Gravestone sequel.  (Read 8675 times)

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
Re: Goemon gets the dark and gritty treatment in Jigen's Gravestone sequel.
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2017, 11:55:51 AM »
Actually you can buy the Blu-Ray in the movie theater as long as you purchase a ticket for the movie. But after it leaves theaters you won't be able to get it until the official release in May.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2017, 03:14:52 AM »
There are probably exclusive perks in buying the theater version of the film, too, huh?

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2017, 09:29:16 AM »
Not 100% sure. I do know that the theater version includes the sleeve that the Limited Edition has at least.

Have there been any reports yet of how this is doing and selling tickets? Has it been well received in Japan?

It appears to have been popular enough that they expanded it according to:
http://goemon170204.tumblr.com/post/156882164834/lupin-the-%E2%85%A2rd-%E8%A1%80%E7%85%99%E3%81%AE%E7%9F%B3%E5%B7%9D%E4%BA%94%E3%82%A7%E9%96%80%E5%A5%BD%E8%A9%95%E3%81%AB%E3%81%A4%E3%81%8D%E4%B8%8A%E6%98%A0%E5%8A%87%E5%A0%B4%E3%81%AE%E6%8B%A1%E5%A4%A7%E3%81%8C%E6%B1%BA%E5%AE%9A
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 01:47:00 PM by Akai Shuichi »

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
I've seen the subtitle-less version of the movie that's been recently made available online. It was quite easy to follow, but I still want to see a translation of the dialogue to fully appreciate it. Hopefully, Discotek will make an announcement sometime soon because I will buy this Blu Ray in a heartbeat. The movie is pretty awesome IMO. The artwork and animation are incredible, as expected. Once again, James Shimoji's musical score is top-notch. I really dug his theme for The Bermuda Spectre (It's track 8 if you want to hear a sample: https://good-beat.com/album/lupin-goemon/).

It's a fairly simple plot without subtitles, but there's a few scenes with quite a bit of dialogue and I'm looking forward to fully understand what's going on. I won't go into much detail, but the final battle scenes are spectacular and incredibly brutal. I honestly can't stress the brutal aspect of it enough. This is the most violent thing I've seen in the Lupin series. It might not be everybody's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I don't think these are heavy spoilers, but I'll mark them as so anyway...

(click to show/hide)

and

(click to show/hide)

All in all, I was very pleased with what I saw and I can't wait to see the whole version of the film in the future. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else thinks about it.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
Like you, Red Jacket, I watched the raw version of the movie and like you I really liked it overall though I regretted it the lack of after-credit scene or Mamo cameo. But apart from that, I really liked it and it is more deserving of the title of Goemon-centered story than Jigen's gravestone was. Goemon isn't the only focus but is certainly the most promiment. Hawk alias the Bermuda Specter us terrifying and fun at the same time ! The gang is very interesting in their interactions. I just regretted that Fujiko isn't in the movie for very long and her role isn't very instrumental. Zenigata was great while being very subdued. He was in serious efficient mode but he was good in that role for that universe. The story is fairly simple but is also a bit more unique than I would have thought. Goemon had his share of adversaries and rivals but this is the first time we get to see him in a really tough time. The poor guy is really distraught by that living montain that is The Bermuda Specter.

Also, I love how the Bermuda Specter is the embodiement of everything american in terms of stature and attitude while Goemon is the epitome of old Japan. But Goemon also fights the other remnant of Japan's feodal days; the Yakuza. So in a way it's Goemon facing his heritage and place in his culture.

I really hope Koike, the producers and Studio Telecom will continue making those spin-off movies in the near future. And I hope the next one will be about Zenigata. If we count the Mine Fujiko series, he is the only one not to have a spin-off movie yet. ^^
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
I agree with your point about Fujiko, Red Dear. Her role in Jigen's Gravestone and more so in this movie has been a little lackluster. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only weakness of both films that stands out to me. She had some good moments in the Woman Called Fujiko Mine series, but she hasn't really shined in the spin-off movies like the other characters have. I wouldn't be opposed to her getting one of these 50-minute movies from Koike, but I doubt that'll happen.

I also agree that the Bermuda Spectre was terrifying, fun and very badass. I can't wait to see what kind of villain Zenigata's going to face in his movie.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:18:08 PM by Thief in a Red Jacket »

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
going to watch it when somone makes throws a script out in the open

Red Dear

• Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
I agree with your point about Fujiko, Red Dear. Her role in Jigen's Gravestone and more so in this movie has been a little lackluster. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only weakness of both films that stands out to me. She had some good moments in the Woman Called Fujiko Mine series, but she hasn't really shined in the spin-off movies like the other characters have. I wouldn't be opposed to her getting one of these 50-minute movies from Koike, but I doubt that'll happen.

I also agree that the Bermuda Spectre was terrifying, fun and very badass. I can't wait to see what kind of villain Zenigata's going to face in his movie.

Fujiko had a more important place in the plot of Jigen's Gravestone. And even if the "Rape Robot" scene has been the subject of heavy controversy on the internet, Fujiko's role didn't stop at that and she still managed to be proactive and got her due in the end. In "Chikemuri", she seems to simply leave. Her bong and massage scene was funny however and gave us a glimpse of her relationship with Lupin and Jigen during calmer moments. ^^

I think another movie dedicated to her wouldn't be superfluous but I also doubt they will do that. My money is on a Zenigata spin-off movie. It makes sense with the recent live action drama series and the fact Zenigata's subplot has been building up since Jigen's Gravestone.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:53:37 PM by Red Dear »

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
I couldn't resist and watched the RAW too. That was BAD ASS.
I absolutely loved Goemon's "Blood Ballet" that scene was beautiful and the music was perfect. Certainly was brutal, but not too brutal, at least for me. Can't wait to watch it again subbed, and praying that Discotek gets it, and dubs it on BD. Day 1 purchase for sure if so.

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
My money is on a Zenigata spin-off movie. It makes sense with the recent live action drama series and the fact Zenigata's subplot has been building up since Jigen's Gravestone.

Given that Zenigata's still in the Metropolitan Police department (as shown in the picture below), I'm curious if we'll see what causes him to join the ICPO in his spin-off movie.

(click to show/hide)

I did not like the portrayal of his character in episode 4 of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. It's kind of annoying because, outside of some sleazy character moments in that particular episode, I actually like the hard-boiled version that we see of him throughout the rest of the series.

It found out through these forums that there's a different writer on these spin-off movies, which definitely gives me some hope for the character. I really like Koike's character design of him and I liked his presence in the Goemon movie. Hopefully, these spin-off movies give us a bit more of the honorable Zenigata mixed in with this current version. He can be as dead serious and hard-boiled as possible, that doesn't bother me. I just don't want him to be a dirty cop.

Did I mention he looks freakin' cool? Because he looks freakin' cool.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:55:23 AM by Thief in a Red Jacket »

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
I watched it as well. It looked amazing and it was really a joy to see the animation and the colours, but other than that, I'm not really a fan. I find it such a shame that

(click to show/hide)

The first half was pretty good, but I feel that things fell apart in the second and that events began happening not because it was sensible but because the creators thought it was cool and wanted them to happen. There were a lot of things that just didn't add up in my opinion. The movie should have been longer, but maybe they will get back to some of these elements in the next one. I wonder if there's any chance that

(click to show/hide)

Still, I'll definitely buy this if it gets a western release. Not the worst in the franchise, but I expected more.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
I watched it as well. It looked amazing and it was really a joy to see the animation and the colours, but other than that, I'm not really a fan. I find it such a shame that

(click to show/hide)

The first half was pretty good, but I feel that things fell apart in the second and that events began happening not because it was sensible but because the creators thought it was cool and wanted them to happen. There were a lot of things that just didn't add up in my opinion. The movie should have been longer, but maybe they will get back to some of these elements in the next one. I wonder if there's any chance that

(click to show/hide)

Still, I'll definitely buy this if it gets a western release. Not the worst in the franchise, but I expected more.
I think I enjoyed it more than you did, but I definitely agree on your complaints. I'd also argue that the premise felt a little like a rehash of "Gravestone" with the whole "character fails to protect their employer, and is now on the run from the killer after losing a fight to them" thing.
(click to show/hide)

That said, it certainly wasn't a bad movie. I still enjoyed it immensely. The fights were awesome (especially Goemon disarming the Yakuza), there was no uncomfortable drill-robot type of scene like in "Gravestone", and Zenigata was great. I really like this no-nonsense take on the character (I burst out laughing when he backhanded Lupin for making fun of his age). And the Bermuda Ghost, like Yael Okuzaki before him, was a great villain! He was charming and cool, and he seemed almost friendly, all things considered. And what was up with the little girl that gave him his assignment? Lots of questions about this guy.

(click to show/hide)

As far as the timeline thing goes, this definitely throws a wrench into my headcanon. I felt that "Gravestone" worked best as a bridge between TWCFM and Part I, particularly in how it establishes the friendship between the two title characters that'd we see throughout Part I. But this one takes place immediately after "Gravestone", and has the whole gang established, but Zenigata still with Tokyo Metro. I don't know what to think now.

TL;DR- Movie flawed, but good. Doesn't fit my timeline. Cool villain.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang

I think I enjoyed it more than you did, but I definitely agree on your complaints. I'd also argue that the premise felt a little like a rehash of "Gravestone" with the whole "character fails to protect their employer, and is now on the run from the killer after losing a fight to them" thing.
(click to show/hide)

I'm very interested to see how the events of this movie will impact the next one. To be more specific:

(click to show/hide)

As far as Goemon's characterization goes:

(click to show/hide)

I'm still hoping for a good fansub or legitimate release sometime soon. I saw that there was a fansub available, but if I understand correctly, it appears that it's English translation of a Russian translation of the original Japanese. I might wait until a more professional fansub is released, or, preferably, an official Blu Ray.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:06:29 AM by Thief in a Red Jacket »

Red Dear

• Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
I don't really agree with VampireNaomi's criticism but I do agree that "Chikemuri"
follows a very similar canvas to "Bohyou": a character fails to protect someone from the
"villain du jour" and suffers a first defeat at his own game (gunslinging for Jigen, sword fight for
Goemon) and Lupin serves as a cathalist. The two movies even have a scene where the villain
eats bit chunks of food !

But structural similarities don't bother me when it's not completely the same.

Of course Goemon can appear stilted and distant. At this point in his relationship with the gang, he isn't their
regular partner. He does say to Hawk that when it comes to killing Lupin, he can do it himself. But the viewer can't
deny that Goemon is the one who evolves the most in the movie (which is why he is the protagonist). He starts off as being
pretty confident, to the point of underestimating his adversary and being defeated, something this version of Goemon doesn't seem used to.

And that is why he is exposing himself to this harsh training, to try to regain what he lost while getting rid of his over-confidence, of his fears (the reason
why he finally gets the upper hand over Hawk is that Hawk started to act on emotions while Goemon found inner peace).

And how can we say that Goemon is still stoic and distant when you really watched the ending ? He smiles at Lupin's remark, he protects him and Goemon
from Zenigata, returning the favour. Goemon has grown to appreciate Lupin's respect of the ancient rules while helping him as well. That's a big step !

And on the topic of Lupin and Jigen's presence in the second half, it is linked to what I said before, the respect of one's path and journey. It provides also a point of view for the audiance. You can ask me "why didn't they use Goemon's point of view ?" well for starters they did for many scenes and second, during the training part, we need an outside spectator to feel the puzzling and disturbing nature of Goemon's failures. Plus, Lupin and Jigen are clearely intrigued by Goemon's skills and personality and Lupin sees the potential in him.

To me, really, this movie is showing something more than the Jigen one while telling more or less the same things, but that's not a problem. Originality is not a quality in itself.

As for the wounds, yeah they are pretty severe and Goemon could still have scars, but cartoon characters do recover better than us. XD

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Japanese home vid specs. [Plus pics at the link.]
limited edition

■ Blu-ray
    Price: 7,800 yen (excluding tax) product number: KAXA-7451
■ DVD
    Price: 6,800 yen (excluding tax) product number: KABA-10508

<Blu-ray Limited Edition & DVD Limited Edition Enclosed Benefit>

● Ken Koike drawing down and three sides BOX
    Director · Kenkei Ken draws down the image of this work, special special three side back BOX!
    ● gorgeous setting material collection "Gate BOOK" (about 100p)
    Approximately 100p luxury setting materials collection including cast and staff interview. Complete commentary on the charm of "Ishikawa Goemon"!
    ● "LUPIN THE Ⅲ RD Ishikawa Goemon original drawing collection"
    Inspired without introduction of the charm of the elaborate picture of this work, another original book collection of fan-singing!

[Video benefits]

● First day stage greetings, special interviews, special events, notice

[Voice benefit]

Luxury two-piece audio commentary!

● Audio Commentary by Cast
    Cast: Kiichi Kurita, Daisuke Namikawa, Yusuke Koen (Producer)
    ● Audio commentary by staff
    Cast: Kenkei Ken (Director), Takahashi Yuya (Screenplay), Kuroyazono (Producer)

normal version

■ Blu-ray
    Price: 4,800 yen (excluding tax) product number: KAXA-7461
■ DVD
    Price: 3,800 yen (excluding tax) Part number: KABA-10509

<Blu-ray Regular Edition & DVD Encapsulated Benefit>
Trailers only (Stage greeting video, no commentary recorded)

Release: Tom's Entertainment / KADOKAWA
Sales: KADOKAWA
Original: Monkey · Punches © TMS

There is also the possibility to change the details of the benefit, specification etc. Please note.

"LUPIN THE Ⅲ RD blood smoke Ishikawa Gomen gate"
Original duplication set (illustration specification drawing down cover)
Present campaign! It is!

Reservation of Blu-ray Limited Edition or DVD Limited Edition of "LUPIN THE Ⅲ RD Blood Smoke" Booking and purchasing the customer first, "" LUPIN THE Ⅲ RD blood smoke Ishikawa Gomen gate "duplicated original set (cover page Drawing down illustration specification) "will be presented.

Kenkei Takeshi director drawing cover illustration
※ The image will be the one before design.
Bonus content

"LUPIN THE Ⅲ RD blood smoke Ishikawa Gomen gate" duplicated original set (cover drawing down Iras)
Shipping

Release on Friday, May 26, 2017

· LUPIN THE Ⅲ RD blood smoke Ishikawa Gomaen Blu-ray limited edition 7,800 yen (tax excluded)
    · LUPIN THE Ⅲ RD blood smoke Ishikawa Gomen DVD limited edition 6,800 yen (tax excluded)

※ Blu - ray regular version, DVD normal version and theatrical limited edition Blu - ray are not eligible, so please be forewarned.