Author Topic: Zenigata does the live-action Tick thing.  (Read 11349 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Zenigata does the live-action Tick thing.
« on: September 29, 2016, 11:21:13 pm »
Details here, courtesy of @FoxHounder1014. BTW, this is not to be confused with the live-action schoolgirl detective series, 'Keitai Deka Zenigata', which you can find clips of on Youtube.

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
Re: Zenigata does the live-action Tick thing.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 11:32:15 pm »
I don't know how to feel about this... :-\

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 11:42:40 pm »
I think it could be fun. I assume the other characters won't show up, at least in main roles, so I'm interested in seeing what they do with Zenigata without Lupin.

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 09:19:14 pm »
I can't meh hard enough....

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 08:23:00 am »
I dig it, can't hurt anyway. I get the vibe/guess it'll be tongue-in-cheek and pretty cute.

I liked some of that cop show Densha Otoko from a few years ago.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:23:44 am by Psycho_Kenshin »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 12:18:15 pm »
I dig it, can't hurt anyway. I get the vibe/guess it'll be tongue-in-cheek and pretty cute.

I liked some of that cop show Densha Otoko from a few years ago.

Densha Otoko? The story about an imageboard (2ch?) user falling in love with a girl on a train? I didn't realize it qualified as "cop show" material, but I admit I haven't watched it...
-R. Nelson

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 04:01:11 pm »
Ha good call, my brain had a moment there. I did like Densha Otoko the romance comedy, but the cop show I had in mind was another name I forgot. Looking it up now it's Odoru Daisousasen aka Bayside Shakedown.  8) Also funny looking it up, it's from the 90s, though it had movies into the 2000s, I thought it was newer (saw it in the mid-2000s).

I blame DekaRanger for this mix-up.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 04:02:59 pm by Psycho_Kenshin »

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 06:01:25 pm »
Meh, I have always wondered if Zenigata could hold a series on his own, with Lupin never actually seen, only mentioned to drive Zenigata's actions. But this show sounds terribly generic. Especially the characters, I have never read such cliche and boring character synopses. Hopefully this doesn't kill the chance for an animated Zenigata series.  8)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 12:52:38 am »
When you think about it, they kinda already did a thinly-veiled animated Zenigata show. Except it was called Inspector Gadget.  ::)

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 05:59:51 am »
Gadget and Zenigata don't seem good equivalents to me, in spite of a few common traits.

Back to the topic, while drama adaptations are a lot hit-or-miss with me (cough-Detective Conan-cough),
and the premise of this live-action Zenigata series looks indeed pretty unoriginal, I am all aboard to see Zenigata
step as his own characer, strong enough to evolve out of the usual formula of the franchise.

Plus, live-action series are a novelty for Lupin III so it's always interesting to see the franchise go into new territories. ^^
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 10:38:53 am »
I'm not against this. A solo Zenigata series definitely has a ton of potential, but I don't know if I like the idea of a live-action adaption of anything Lupin-related. It kind of limits what you can do with the characters IMO.

If it turns out to be great, then I will be very happy. Anything new in the Lupin series is exciting to me. However, I am currently far more excited for "Chikemuri no Ishikawa Goemon" than I am for this.

SSJ3_Goku345

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 05:11:52 pm »
Well, at least the characterization is pretty decent. Nothing to do with that korean City Hunter dorama.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 05:12:44 pm by SSJ3_Goku345 »

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 01:23:37 am »
Well, at least the characterization is pretty decent. Nothing to do with that korean City Hunter dorama.

Another one I felt lacked the characterization was the GTO (Great Teach Onizuka) live action show. He was way too normal, in comparison to the over-the-top epic maniac he was in the manga/anime.

Live action adaptations are often too "normal", I don't think Zenigata will be running into the crazy out there sci-fi and other weirdness we've come to love in Lupin over the years. But I'd be happy to be wrong, watch him encounter a giant evil sentient computer or something in one of these episodes.  ;D

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 02:11:46 am »
I've long felt that Zenigata would make a good subject for a traditional cop show. Just a police inspector solvin' crimes and deducing the crap outta stuff. He may not be an ultra-genius, but for him to get close to Lupin as often as he does he must have a pretty decent head on his shoulders. Thankfully the Yamadera-voiced Zenigata has largely gotten this right, but seeing him solo will be an interesting twist.

Usually the problem I see is that indeed the scenarios are too "normal" in live-action, but you can probably thank insanely tight budgets for that. Characterization (like Onizuka's missing insanity) is probably better left subdued in live-action... real human beings acting like exaggerated anime characters is honestly painful for me to watch. If they're doing "Zenigata = Inspector Gadget" or something similarly wacky, okay then fine, but please don't turn this Zenigata-centric cop drama into a slapstick comedy....
-R. Nelson

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 10:15:30 pm »
Oh, wow. So basically, a live-action spin-off with Zenigata, but without Lupin and his gang...
Unexpected and nothing too much to look forward to yet.