Author Topic: Blue Jacket Lupin gets licensed by Discotek, *will* get dubbed.  (Read 28682 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: Blue Jacket Lupin gets licensed by Discotek, *will* get dubbed.
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2017, 10:59:59 pm »
Well, if they listened to me, then they did it for a reason: It's a marketing thing. The Italian song is catchier to an audience totally new to Lupin. [Don't forget this show has not been broadcast on U.S. teevee for over a decade now...There's been a lot of competition on network and cable since then, such as Archer, Breaking Bad, and Prison Break.] But if they listened to me, then it's only for the broadcast, and not necessarily how the home video release will be presented.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:09:01 pm by GATSU »

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2017, 02:07:03 am »
Toonami usually keeps the Japanese music for their broadcasts, right? I'm gonna take the news about the music with a grain of salt.  I don't see any reason why they WOULDN'T go with the Japanese soundtrack.

Well, if they listened to me, then they did it for a reason: It's a marketing thing. The Italian song is catchier to an audience totally new to Lupin.
I can't imagine audiences screaming, panicking, and scrambling for the remote upon hearing a instrumental jazzy tune instead of an Italian rap song.

And like others have said, the previous English release on Crunchyroll went with the Japanese version of the show (which not only had a better soundtrack and intro, but fixed up some animation).

Sure, there's a chance I'm 100% wrong about this, but I'm willing to bet they go with the Japanese soundtrack.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2017, 09:38:00 am »
It's more memorable, and trendy. Just what the show needs. If you keep the old theme, it'll sound too much like the one they use for Mike Tyson Mysteries.

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2017, 12:57:43 pm »
Trendy? Yes, I can definitely see that.

Memorable? Compared to Yuji Ohno's theme? No, I don't see that at all.

Ohno's score is one of the key elements that got me into Lupin. After watching Cagliostro, I immediately looked up the Lupin intro on YouTube and instantly fell in love with the theme. Ohno's music has always perfectly captured the adventurous and goofy tone of Lupin IMO, and the Part IV soundtrack is one of his strongest works in the history of the series. The Italian soundtrack just feels like a cheap imitation that is struggling to, but never will, achieve the same level of memorability that Yuji Ohno's score has.

I don't want to sound so negative, but having listened both to some of the original Italian soundtrack and Ohno's Part IV soundtrack, the two just aren't even on the same level.

Whether the Toonami airing has the Yuji Ohno soundtrack or not, I'm sure Discotek will include it.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2017, 04:29:28 pm »
It's memorable in the sense that it sticks in your head, like one of those sitcom jingles Jason Alexander's character George mocked on Seinfeld. Or, for a more recent throwback, that 'Too Many Cooks' segment you can find on Youtube. Anyway, 'new' promo.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:32:08 pm by GATSU »

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2017, 11:41:58 pm »
Okay, watched the promo again. Whether the Toonami version uses Ohno's music or not, I'm in to watch. I know it's heresy to say, but you can all keep your Yamadas, Kuritas, Bergens, Straits, and whoever else. Tony Oliver was the first Lupin I ever heard, and he is Lupin to me. Cannot wait to watch this!

(Though I'm still not buying the Blu-Ray unless it has the Ohno score with the English dub!)

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2017, 04:51:35 pm »
I don't think they will erase Ohno's soundtrack. Too much unnecessary work. They respected
his work for the red jacket series that started this dub team.

I think the music is just to accompany the promotion, nothing more.
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2017, 07:12:40 pm »
I don't think they will erase Ohno's soundtrack. Too much unnecessary work. They respected
his work for the red jacket series that started this dub team.

I think the music is just to accompany the promotion, nothing more.
I hope so, though if that promo that was linked a while back is indeed the Toonami/Adult Swim opening, and it specifically says "Music by Papik" with no mention of Ohno, I don't have very high hopes that the series as aired on Cartoon Network will feature Ohno's score.

With regards to the home release, I guess my main concern, which I haven't exactly articulated yet, is that DiscoTek's Blu-Rays are going to have selectable audio tracks of (1) Japanese voices with Ohno's score or (2) English voices with Papik's score. What I specifically hope to see is the English voices with Ohno's score! Sometimes Japanese licensors have weird rules about their international releases. It's possible the Papik score was composed with the intention of being used in all countries outside Japan, not just Italy.

Now granted, such a thing has never happened before with Lupin; Ohno's music has always accompanied every U.S. release thus far -- so that gives me hope. But extrapolating from Gatsu's theories, it could be that the Japanese have recently come to view Ohno's score as a possible detriment to Lupin's success overseas, and want something more contemporary to catch the attention of a broader audience.  I'm probably getting nervous over nothing, but until I know for certain that DiscoTek's Blu-Ray release will feature the English dub with Ohno's music, I'll continue to worry.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 05:50:37 pm by Fujiko Lover »

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2017, 06:26:57 am »
Now granted, such a thing has never happened before with Lupin; Ohno's music has always accompanied every U.S. release thus far -- so that gives me hope. But extrapolating from Gatsu's theories, it could be that the Japanese have recently come to view Ohno's score as a possible detriment to Lupin's success overseas, and want something more contemporary to catch the attention of a broader audience.  I'm probably getting nervous over nothing, but until I know for certain that DiscoTek's Blu-Ray release will feature the English dub with Ohno's music, I'll continue to worry.

I theorize that if they indeed used Papik's score, it might be as a result of whatever contract TMS has with the Italian broadcasting company that helped fund Blue Jacket. Maybe the Italians insisted that any version outside Japan has to use their score so the payments go to them? One thing that caught my attention earlier was this tweet from Discotek about how they were asked to pull the Pioneer reunion video because of the music they used in it. I can no longer remember if the clip used any Ohno music, however.

I hope all of this is just baseless speculation. After all, Crunchyroll used Ohno's score, so surely it's not an issue. Good thing the dub premiers in just a few days so we'll know a lot more.

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2017, 05:14:57 pm »
I theorize that if they indeed used Papik's score, it might be as a result of whatever contract TMS has with the Italian broadcasting company that helped fund Blue Jacket. Maybe the Italians insisted that any version outside Japan has to use their score so the payments go to them? One thing that caught my attention earlier was this tweet from Discotek about how they were asked to pull the Pioneer reunion video because of the music they used in it. I can no longer remember if the clip used any Ohno music, however.
If I'm thinking of the right one, it was the one that used clips of the Japanese opening (with Ohno's music) with the dub cast introducing themselves.

I remember reading that tweet and being confused, and if are worries are correct then I guess it now makes sense.

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2017, 02:53:14 pm »
Well, the Toonami airing is definitely using the PAPIK score. And with them using the International Masters, which I believe are based off of the Italian ones, we may not even see the animation updates that the Japanese version received. But I hope I am wrong.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2017, 04:05:48 pm »
I'll be damned, I think you are right, guy. Still, in my memory (it feels like eternity since I've seen
the italian version of Blue Jacket), PAPIK's score wasn't half bad if a little repetitive.
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2017, 12:01:31 am »
I'm sure it's probably fine, and if it was the only choice I'd have no problem with it. I have no objections to the music in FUJIKO MINE or JIGEN'S GRAVESTONE even though they're not Ohno. They're the only scores available and they fit the shows just fine. It's just that this is a unique situation: a Lupin series where there is an Ohno score available, but we're getting something else instead.

I really hope to get some news soon about which audio tracks will be on the Blu-Rays.

lupinthewolf

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2017, 12:46:50 pm »
If the dub on Toonami does end up using the Italian score, I hope Ohno's is still preserved on Discotek's version.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2017, 02:49:24 am »
Sure, there's a chance I'm 100% wrong about this, but I'm willing to bet they go with the Japanese soundtrack.

Man, I sure do hate the taste of crow. Maybe this humble pie will help it go down better.

Soundtrack aside, it was a fun viewing. Loved hearing the old voices again. I do hope that later episodes are a bit wittier with the script, though. I think the only new gag I heard was the "bridezilla" crack, which was perfectly in-character.

Either way, I'm excited for next week!
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)