Author Topic: Blue Jacket Lupin gets licensed by Discotek, *will* get dubbed.  (Read 4253 times)

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
Re: Blue Jacket Lupin gets licensed by Discotek, *will* get dubbed.
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2017, 02:55:09 AM »
I wish I had read up a little earlier so I wouldn't have felt as crushed by the absence of Yuji Ohno's score.

Still, the performances from the cast were spot on in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:55:36 AM by Aelia »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2017, 04:59:24 AM »
BTW, I'm too busy to bother waiting for them to report on it. So if someone else wants to report how this episode and/or the next one did in the ratings, it'd be nice if you added it to this thread. Or, if they're *really* good for Lupin, mention it in a separate post, I guess. Thanks.

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2017, 07:35:51 AM »
It just doesn't feel like Lupin without Ohno's score. I would be willing to pay 2-3 times the regular price for Discotek's home release to have it and the Japanese home video masters.

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2017, 08:14:59 AM »
I was happy to see Lupin trending on Twitter earlier, but I also have to say that the lack of Yuji Ohno's music stuck out like a sore thumb. Watching the dub and knowing that there's a far superior soundtrack available really  bummed me out. I had a pretty fun time with the dub itself. I usually prefer the Japanese cast when it comes to Lupin, but hearing the Part 2 actors back together put a big smile on my face. I was curious about how the new Zenigata would sound, and I was pleasantly surprised. I liked him quite a bit.

If Discotek's Blu Ray has the Yuji Ohno soundtrack, even if it's only on the Japanese language track, then I'll buy it in a heartbeat. If it doesn't; however, then I won't be so quick to purchase it. Not sure why I'd pay extra money when the version I prefer is readily available on Crunchyroll. I'll buy any other Lupin release they put out, as always. I'm just not so sure about this one in particular.

EDIT: Despite my major disappointment with the music, I'll continue to watch the dub on Toonami. I enjoyed the main cast's performances in the new dub far too much to drop the show over its soundtrack. I'll just have to grit my teeth and endure Papik's poor excuse of a Lupin score.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:59:22 PM by Thief in a Red Jacket »

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2017, 03:25:28 PM »
If Discotek's Blu Ray has the Yuji Ohno soundtrack, even if it's only on the Japanese language track, then I'll buy it in a heartbeat. If it doesn't; however, then I won't be so quick to purchase it. Not sure why I'd pay extra money when the version I prefer is readily available on Crunchyroll. I'll buy any other Lupin release they put out, as always. I'm just not so sure about this one in particular.
That's where I stand as well.

I guess because they are using the Italian masters, the broadcast also was missing the eyecatches. Obviously not as bad as not having Yuji Ohno's music, but sometimes its the little things...

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2017, 04:41:20 PM »
BTW, while I agree with the consensus, if possible, that Papik song should be available on the home vid release, even if only as a separate bonus option.

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2017, 12:21:19 AM »
Okay, I just watched the first episode on my DVR and I'm confused. I must be going nuts. I could've sworn I had watched it with the Papik music when it first premiered, but the music here is nothing like what I remembered at all! It's no Ohno, but it's not bad at all. It's sufficiently jazzy and reminds me a bit of the FUJIKO MINE score. Anyway, still hoping the home release will have the English voices with Ohno's music, but even if it doesn't, I guess this is a reasonable replacement.

It was great to hear the old Pioneer/Geneon cast back in action. Most of them haven't lost a beat. The new Zenigata takes some getting used to, though. At times he channels Jake Martin's performance perfectly, but other times he sounds off, like a guy "doing" a voice. Rebecca's voice is fine, but I wasn't a fan of Patrick. He sounds kinda wussy.

Overall, I'm excited to watch the rest of the series. I started watching the fansubs when the show first premiered in 2015, but a number of things kept me from getting past episode 4. Then in early 2016, it came out that the Geneon cast was returning, and at the point I resolved to not watch another episode until the domestic release with those voices. Now, nearly two years (already?!) since the show premiered, here we are!

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2017, 03:53:20 AM »
Papik music ?  is that what Italy got ?

KoichiZenigata

• Part of the Gang
  • Stealing Japan for a Year
    • Lupin has a podcast
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »
NO YUJI OHNO?????!?!?!?!?!?!?  What a disgrace

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2017, 11:52:27 AM »
Papik music ?  is that what Italy got ?
Yes, Papik is listed as the music composer for the Adult Swim broadcast, as he was for the Italian broadcast.  It seems like the Ohno music may have been only in the Japanese version so far, though I don't know what other countries besides the Italy and the U.S. have shown the series since it premiered.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2017, 02:31:08 PM »
No other country in my knowledge has licensed Part IV yet so I don't know if they will use Papik's score.
It is indeed sad for hard core Lupin III fans to not have Yuji Ohno's score along with the dub but I feel like
it is a relatively small gripe compared to the chance to get the red jacket dub back together (mostly) and having
a Lupin III series coming out on TV for the english-speaking countries. That's already a big achievement for a franchise
that struggled to have a strong presence in the western market.

Now indeed, I wonder what were the legal reasons that made the US localization having to use Papik's score.
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2017, 04:53:31 PM »
Now indeed, I wonder what were the legal reasons that made the US localization having to use Papik's score.

I now believe, as VampireNaomi speculated on the previous page, that there was some sort of agreement between TMS and the Italian co-producers where Papik's music would be used for international broadcasts. We may never know why, though -- but it's really the only thing that makes sense.  As others have noted, Ohno's music was used in every production where it existed for prior releases in the U.S., from multiple licensees. This is the first time it's been replaced for a release here, but it's also the first time an alternate score was available at all.

Does anyone know if, when Lupin was originally aired in Italy however many years ago, it used Ohno's music?  Or did it always have something different over there?

At any rate, you're right, Red Dear -- much as I lament the absence of Ohno's music, it is great to have a Lupin series on TV here, and featuring the Geneon cast, to boot. I just hope the DVD/Blu release features those voices with Ohno's music as an option. (Yes, I know I've said that literally one million times in this thread. But if I keep saying it enough, it has to come true, right?)

On a semi-related note, I would go nuts if DiscoTek funneled some of the proceeds from their broadcast agreement with Cartoon Network into getting this cast to dub the remaining 76 Part 2 episodes. But I'm pretty sure that's just a pipe dream.

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2017, 06:45:22 PM »
Well, here's some good news! Saw a link to this on Twitter yesterday:

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/64014-discotek-media-licenses-lupin-the-third-part-4/page2

The most recent post from Ashura confirms this...
As we announced, the Japanese version will come out and it will have the Yuji Ohno score, subtitles, and touched up master. We're still figuring out the details for everything else, though, so that's all I can say. Due to the TV airing, the home video release won't be for a while though so we have time to do some extras and things for it.

As long as the Ohno score is available with at least the Japanese language track, I'll be buying Discotek's Blu Ray set on day one. Although, it will be a bit of a shame if the dub doesn't include Ohno's soundtrack.

That being said, as much as I like the new dub, the Japanese cast (both current and previous) will always be my favorite. So if this issue with the rights only permits Ohno's score to be used with the Japanese audio, then that'll be fine with me, personally.

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2017, 07:57:02 PM »
Well that's good, and I'll get it since the Japanese voice track will feature Ohno's music -- but I'm still crossing my fingers for the dub voices with his score as well. (That's 1,000,0001 times now.)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2017, 02:55:00 AM »
BTW, I forgot about another elephant in the room, until the trailer reminded me: Kingsman. Sequel's coming out in September, too. So, yeah, Lupin definitely has to make an impression *now*, even if it's just a minor change in its jingle. Don't forget that DT isn't just putting out the blue jacket show, but the red one, as well. So they can't afford to have a small audience to support both of those series. I think, as a whole, Lupin did fairly well in lasting as long as it did here in the early 2000's, given its age. But all the licensors involved with it seriously overestimated the demand for this franchise; and there are still unsold discs floating around in a lot of places.