Author Topic: Blue Jacket Lupin gets licensed by Discotek, *will* get dubbed.  (Read 4251 times)

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
Re: Blue Jacket Lupin gets licensed by Discotek, *will* get dubbed.
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2017, 05:23:32 PM »
BTW, I forgot about another elephant in the room, until the trailer reminded me: Kingsman. Sequel's coming out in September, too. So, yeah, Lupin definitely has to make an impression *now*, even if it's just a minor change in its jingle.

Um...not exactly sure how the release of Kingsman 2, a big budget hard-R film with a global release, has any correlation to the airing of a little-known, relatively family-friendly show like Lupin Part 4 making an impression in the US...but OK. I mean, they both have spies in them, but they're quite different in regard to plot, tone, and genre.

Don't forget that DT isn't just putting out the blue jacket show, but the red one, as well. So they can't afford to have a small audience to support both of those series.

Well, it would seem like they've been doing well enough with their Lupin releases since we're getting both Part 2 and Part 4 released this year along with the fairly large number of specials and movies they've already released. Seems like there's a small, but dedicated fan base that's been buying them. If anything, the airing on Toonami will only give Discotek more potential buyers for their Lupin products than they already have.

I don't think the franchise's prescence in the US is in jeopardy or anything. Regardless of the ratings of Part 4 on Toonami, I think it's safe to say that Discotek will still have the same amount of dedicated buyers like ourselves.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2017, 02:15:39 PM »
Thief: The point is they're both James Bond-esque action stories oriented more towards older viewers. And Kingsman is the bigger name ATM here than Lupin. Hence why it was important to differentiate Lupin, even if only by one minor change. And having money to license more Lupin is not the same as having enough of an audience to justify selling it. We all learned that the hard way during the early 2000's bubble. So, it's not enough to just be on Toonami. Again, it has to stand out from the pack.

Update: Tentative cover here. Oh, and preview of voice actor/director interview here.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:07:52 PM by GATSU »

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
Hold on, according to this: https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/896784607110193152,
does that mean that one set will have the Japanese dub, and Ohno's music, and a separate set will have the English dub, and Italian music? Or will the Japanese set have the English dub as well.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:25:58 PM by SolHerald »

Akai Shuichi

• Shottogun
  • Part of the Gang
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2017, 03:32:29 PM »
Hold on, according to this: https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/896784607110193152,
does that mean that one set will have the Japanese dub, and Ohno's music, and a separate set will have the English dub, and Italian music? Or will the Japanese set have the English dub as well.

Yes, you are correct. The Italian cut has different animation and shot timings so even if they wanted to do both dubs on one set it wouldn't line-up 100%.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2017, 05:02:42 PM »
Can't do much, but I at least threw in tips to help prevent confusion of Lupin in the marketplace, the second coming.

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2017, 06:33:06 PM »
I'm disappointed that the English and Japanese versions won't be in the same set, but considering the circumstances separate sets are probably the best option.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:33:52 PM by Aelia »

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2017, 07:00:19 PM »

Yes, you are correct. The Italian cut has different animation and shot timings so even if they wanted to do both dubs on one set it wouldn't line-up 100%.

That's a shame, I appreciate the effort put into the dub, but I wouldn't buy a separate set for it. Luckily, streaming on Funimation will always be an option.

Also, I hope that they will still include the Epcar interviews on the Japanese set.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:02:06 PM by SolHerald »

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2017, 11:19:26 PM »
Wow, that's... bizarre. I wonder if that means the Italian version is considered "official" for all international distribution? It did premiere first, after all.

I'm disappointed they're doing two different sets. You'd think they could do something like two separate DVD sets, plus one single deluxe Blu-Ray set with both versions.

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2017, 10:28:29 AM »
I wonder if the UK release will have this problem? Along with anywhere else that makes a dub for the series. I would've liked the Italian score to be exclusive to the Italians so that we wouldn't have had this problem, just the Italian  releases. This Doubles down my hope that Part V is not going to have an early broadcast withe the exact same issues. As I've said elsewhere Ohno's music is a staple of everything that is Lupin (to me) Having to choose between the Ohno OST and the Dub, Ohno wins 12 times out of 10. At least I have the Mamo Movie and Part II with this cast, I'm happy with that.

Lupin46

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2017, 06:28:34 PM »
On a somewhat related note, I attended the screening of The Italian Game movie/compilation at Otakon, which I believe is only the 2nd time it has been shown in the U.S. after Anime Expo. Overall it was a decent experience, the amount of re-used footage from the TV series felt a bit shoe-horned in at some points, but the new footage and plot were serviceable enough. One criticism I have was with the quality of the subtitles. I counted at least 5-6 obvious grammatical errors in the subtitle track, which I really hope will be fixed if/when this special gets released by Discotek or another company.