Author Topic: Lu-PAN or Lu-PON?  (Read 2401 times)

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
Lu-PAN or Lu-PON?
« on: December 15, 2016, 10:02:21 pm »
It just occurred to me to wonder.

Being descended from a French character, his name should be based on the French word for wolf, which I seem to recall from my High School French class should be pronounced lu-PAN, as in, rhymes with frying "pan".

But I seem to recall all the characters in the Animaze dub pronounced it "lup-PON," rhymes with chess "pawn".

So, which is it? I need to know which way to pronounce it in my commentary track re-do. :)

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
Re: Lu-PAN or Lu-PON?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 12:42:40 pm »
It seem that the english speaking dubs pronounced Lupin in at least two different ways;
the Loo-Pawn you mentioned and the Loo-Pin, that most fans dislike, from the Funimation dub.

Personally, as a french speaking person, I pronounce it Lü-pin (the last sound is hard for english speakers
to reproduce because English doesn't have "nasal sounds").

When I'm speaking about Lupin in english, I will rather use the "paw" version. Sometimes I even use the japanese pronounciation;
Rupan. ^^
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 01:05:40 pm »
Might be worth checking out how Maurice LeBlanc's character's name was handled, since Lupin III is his grandson, after all. So it's assumed their names would be pronounced the same.
For what it's worth, the Arsene Lupin audiobooks I've listened to generally pronounce it as similarly to more recent dubs, but with the "N" sound being very faint.

Then again, each chapter is read by a different narrator, and one referred to him exclusively as "Arsene Lu-peen", so I dunno.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 03:31:28 pm »
I gave Jean-Marc Lofficier a holler about this, who recently re-translated Leblanc's The Countess of Cagliostro (and more) as Arsène Lupin vs. The Countess of Cagliostro (I purchased the eBook and am still making my way through it).

His words on the pronunciation, verbatim:
In French Lupin rhymes exactly with "pain" (bread). Think of the English word "pain" with the "n" silent.

Our "u" sound is sharper, not like "loop" but closer to "lep". Definitely not "Lyu/Lyoo"!**
**This comment is because I had seen some Japanese speakers suggest that maybe it should have been localized as "リュパン" when brought to Japan for accuracy, and inquired accordingly.

So it's not really "Loo-pahn" as Japan has interpreted it, but more like "Lep-pain" with a dropped "n". Try saying that a few times out loud. Sounds pretty awkward, doesn't it? So I stick with "Loo-pahn."
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 10:09:40 pm »
Man, they deserve to have that series to go public domain on that basis alone.  ;D

Red Dear

• Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 03:14:25 am »
Gatsu: Maurice Leblanc's works IS in public domain since at least 5 years ago. ;)
Unless you meant antoher series.

SurrealBrain

• Part of the Gang
  • Hello there!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 12:27:51 pm »
Lepain the Third. He certainly does bring a lot of pain, so it kinda fits...

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 11:13:34 pm »
Red: That's my point. Imagine if it was still active. Then they might re-title the anime to that name over there.  :P

Red Dear

• Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 11:53:54 pm »
Ah I get it ! XD Sorry for the misunderstanding, then. ^^