Author Topic: Red Jacket's Success  (Read 14633 times)

ehh123

• Part of the Gang
Red Jacket's Success
« on: April 24, 2017, 01:08:06 pm »
Lupin III Part II, better known as the Red Jacket series, ran for 3 years and aired 155 weekly episodes. This is the show that made Lupin an anime icon, up there with Astro Boy and Doraemon . Why was the series so successful?

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
Re: Red Jacket's Success
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 01:41:54 pm »
I believe it was what made Lupin and Co into family heroes that everyone could enjoy.

The previous show, the Green Jacket, was popular to only a few people due to its adult material. So this show had to tone things down and make things more comical and entertaining to appeal to greater audiences, and it succeeded. 

ehh123

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 02:01:46 pm »
One reason I can think of is the cast. The scenes where the main characters are just talking to each other are enjoyable because the voice actors have great chemistry with one another. Their performances and banter could make you get through some of the lesser episodes.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 01:16:37 am »
I think the main reason is because it happened right when the Japanese public wanted more Lupin. The previous series had trouble finding an audience until it went into reruns, which is where it really did well, and thus created a demand for more, which gave us Part II and Mystery of Mamo.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 12:34:33 pm »
Like many things, it is a combination of factors plus good timing. I think you cited all
the reasons why the second series has become the most popular depiction of Lupin the Third,
an earned popularity at that.

You must also take into account that the red jacket series was one of the most localized series,
in Italy, France and America. The green jacket also received an italian localization but it waited decades
before it got a french one.

The only downside to the red jacket's popularity is that it has become hard for some fans to accept other
visions and interpretations of the characters.
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !