Author Topic: Mystery of Mamo rated 7th greatest anime film of all time  (Read 15372 times)

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
Mystery of Mamo rated 7th greatest anime film of all time
« on: April 30, 2017, 05:40:29 pm »
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2017-04-30/.115495

"Cagliostro is a better adventure movie, one that's more suited to a really wide audience… but it's not as good as The Mystery of Mamo.

This film is the essential Lupin the 3rd experience. It has the whole gang, it has a bit where Zenigata falls down the stairs chasing Lupin, it has a totally unnecessary shot of Fujiko getting ripped out of her catsuit, it has cameos from numerous dead world dictators, it has a huge number of odd 70s branding and cultural references, it has a genuinely weird villain. It has an absolutely sensational action scene where Lupin and Jigen are forced to flee an attack helicopter, which follows their Rolls Royce right into the sewer tunnels and keeps on shooting at them. Best of all, Sōji Yoshikawa's script is weirdly topical. It has stuff about cloning, put to screen just a year after the first test-tube baby was born. It has that globe-trotting style to it, and one of the secondary villains is literally Henry Kissinger, who sics a beefy G. Gordon Liddy stand-in on Jigen and Goemon at one point.

Mystery of Mamo has everything that makes Lupin the 3rd weird, but it's still a hilarious comedy, a thrilling action flick, and a great caper."

Go, Mamo!

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
Re: Mystery of Mamo rated 7th greatest anime film of all time
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 06:45:39 pm »
I disagree with that gent's write up, Cagliostro is definitely the essential Lupin movie, and better than Mamo. Plus since Miyazaki's style was more than half of the original green jacket series, and there are great nods to that series in Cagliostro, it's more indicative of what Lupin is about. Even though Cagliostro makes the gang a bit more innocent to give it a fairy tale vibe, the characterization in Mamo is much less in line with any of the Lupin animated series.

Mamo is cool though, a trip into insanity, and a memorable romp, but I'd put it a bit lower. But I also wouldn't limit it to having just one Lupin movie on my list, either one is better than many things on his list. Just for my taste. I do agree on plenty of it though, the Gundam movie trilogy, Megazone 23 is pretty fun, etc.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:46:37 pm by Psycho_Kenshin »

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 11:40:57 pm »
Cagliostro is definitely the essential Lupin movie, and better than Mamo...the characterization in Mamo is much less in line with any of the Lupin animated series.

Cagliostro is definitely a better overall film than Mamo. It's also a fitting end to the Green Jacket series. At least that's the way I see it.

That being said, I think Mamo is also a pretty great movie as well. The story's nowhere near as tight as Cagliostro, but what it lacks in polish is made up for by the excellent interactions between the characters. Yes, the characterizations aren't in line with much of the other series. As a matter of fact, they're far closer to the manga than any series/movie that came before or after. Honestly, I think it's the best adaption of Monkey Punch's style and tone. It's got some of the mean-spirited and overly explicit elements of the early chapters of the manga (which I'm personally not a huge fan of), but it's toned down to much more tolerable and entertaining level, at least in my opinion. One of my favorite things about the Lupin series as a whole is its wide variety of interpretations. I love the fact that Mamo was released in 1978 with it's adult content and overall strangeness, and then just one year later the more mature and old-school caper Cagliostro is released.

Again, while I do think Mamo is the best adaption of Monkey Punch's manga, Cagliostro is, without a doubt, a far better film in general. I'm glad Mike Toole placed it on his list, though. Out of all the Lupin films, Cagliostro is the one that rightfully gets the most attention. However, it's nice to see one of the lesser known movies (to more casual anime viewers, at least) get the spotlight.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:26:25 am by Thief in a Red Jacket »

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 02:47:35 am »
True, true.  8) Also, TV movies should be included since OVAs are on there, so there are a couple Lupin specials I'd place on a top 50 as well. But I can dig how they want to just touch base with one pick. Every list needs more Lupin.

For me, my fav adaptation of Monkey Punch is "The Man They Called a Magician", series 1 episode 2. Only they actually made it even cooler than the manga, but in general I like the anime better. But Monkey Punch is definitely a legend, he rocks.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:48:10 am by Psycho_Kenshin »

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 09:50:16 am »
Only they actually made it even cooler than the manga, but in general I like the anime better. But Monkey Punch is definitely a legend, he rocks.

Couldn't agree more. I appreciate the manga for its artwork and humor, but I find the anime in general to be superior. Especially in regard to the portrayal of the characters, Lupin in particular. I prefer Lupin himself to be a little less harsh and rapey, and his characterization in Mamo is about as close as I want to get to that version of the character.

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 01:53:52 pm »
I'm glad Mamo made it to the list because it's probably my favourite Lupin movie. That's not to say that I don't like Cagliostro because I do, but just like that list said, Mamo just feels more like a Lupin movie to me. I don't mind that the characters and tone are meaner than is typical for the anime version because they still have enough heart to be sympathetic, and watching how the group is torn apart due to internal conflict is very entertaining. Plus, for a while there, it feels like Lupin just doesn't have a chance. I think the franchise would benefit if they let him get into such hopeless situations more often because I at least am bored of him as an all-knowing, almost omnipotent character who has an ace up his sleeve for any problem.

SurrealBrain

• Part of the Gang
  • Hello there!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 07:09:39 am »
I do agree with the sentiment; Cagliostro is the better movie, but I'd be lying if I said Mamo didn't feel more like a Lupin the 3rd film.

They're both worth watching in my opinion, though. Mamo is great on its own, and there's no denying that while the art style isn't as polished as Cagliostro's...honestly, this is one of those cases where the rougher animation style actually adds to the experience; I can't imagine the film in any other art style.