Author Topic: {EDITED] Premiering on Toonami June 17th at 2 AM instead of 1:30 AM  (Read 3844 times)

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
Re: {EDITED] Premiering on Toonami June 17th at 2 AM instead of 1:30 AM
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2017, 12:18:32 AM »
Nobody else has seemed to have posted this news, but FUNimation seems to have gotten streaming rights to the dub. They have episodes 1 and 2 on for streaming now and consider it a "Simuldub" which is kinda of funny.
Since I can't watch in on Toonami, I went ahead and watched the first episode and I have to say for the dub, its not bad, I'm sure as the episodes go by they will settle back into their roles. But I'll never get over the music. Its generic and stagnant, there were only like two songs that played throughout the entire episode, and they don't even match the scenes they're in.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:21:17 AM by SolHerald »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2017, 01:59:07 AM »
Nobody else has seemed to have posted this news, but FUNimation seems to have gotten streaming rights to the dub. They have episodes 1 and 2 on for streaming now and consider it a "Simuldub" which is kinda of funny.

They've had the dub streaming rights for a while. It was supposed to debut on their site in January last I heard, which is probably why Richard Epcar had heard the same. Don't know what held it up on the back end of things, because I don't think the Toonami factor was part of the equation then.

It's probably being billed as a Simuldub to recoup investment costs for the license, since they're not doing a DVD/BD to help offset those.
-R. Nelson

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 11:40:31 AM »
I was busy and/or on vacation for the past couple weeks, so last night I finally caught up on the three episodes I'd missed. I had previously watched episodes 3 and 4 via fansubs a long time ago, but this was my first time seeing anything beyond those, and I like what I see so far!

Episode 3, for whatever reason, doesn't do much for me. It's a fine introduction to Nyx and lets you know what he's all about, but it just doesn't hold my interest.  Episodes 4 and 5, however are a different story. I'm a sucker for a good solo Jigen adventure, and episode 4 delivers that perfectly. I love getting a look at his sense of honor, and I like his relationship with the nurse. Episode 5 is Fujiko-centric, and that's always a plus in my book. I thought it was a pretty good look at her character.

The dub seems to be improving as well. I didn't notice nearly as many awkwardly delivered lines in these episodes as I caught in the first two, and the voices of the guest stars are getting better.  This is a really fun show!

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2017, 01:56:58 PM »
I think I've decided I like this show best when I can binge a few episodes at once. So I accumulated three more and watched them over the weekend.

Episode 6 was more Lupin/Rebecca hijinks, and we got to hear Lupin make reference to "The Walking Dead". I don't know if that was in the original Japanese (or Italian) script, but hearing Tony Oliver say it here brought to mind a lot of the weird topical references from the Part II dub many years ago. Those were odd because you had contemporary references put into the mouths of characters animated in 1977. But here, at least, a reference to a modern TV show within the context of another modern TV show is much more forgivable. I also loved Jigen's and Goemon's amusement at Lupin's feature film debut. They're both so serious much of the time, that it's always nice to see them crack a smile and poke fun at their friend.

Episode 7 was a nice Zenigata-centric show, letting us see that this iteration of the character isn't quite as nutty as some of his past portrayals (though not as serious as others such as in "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine"), and that he's a legitimately good detective. He's dogged and determined in pretty much every incarnation, but as we all know, whether he's a decent investigator seems to vary from show to show. And it was actually kind of shocking to see Jigen pull a gun on Zenigata near the end of the episode! Of course he didn't fire it, but Lupin tried to bluff that he might, which was unusual.

And episode 8 gives us an in-depth look at Nyx. I really like Michael McConnohie in this role (though I generally like him in almost anything). Nice to learn there's more to the guy than just being a one-track killing machine. It also seems as if the overall arc for this series has been established, with Lupin setting his sights on the Dream of Italy (whatever that is). I'm so happy to see this show finally doing something I've thought would work great for several years: a finite number of episodes with one over-arching treasure hunt plotline sprinkled in among several stand-alone episodes. I'm pretty sure some of my earliest posts on this very forum suggested that (not that I'm the only one ever to think of such a thing for Lupin, of course)!

Also, I noted that Rob was concerned about Rebecca losing her makeup bag because it contained their disguises?? I know there were some disguises used back in episode one, but is this comment in specific reference to something we haven't seen yet -- like do they have regular alter egos they use for as-yet unknown purposes -- or is he just speaking in general terms that she keeps stuff in the bag which could incriminate her various, occasionally illegal, activities?

I still think some of Richard Epcar's lines feel awkward, which seems odd since apparently he's the director. Maybe he's "too close" to the performance or something. The rest of the group has really settled in at this point and the dub is overall quite enjoyable. Papik's music has even grown on me too, to the point that -- while I miss Yuji Ohno's familiar Lupin themes --  the incidental stuff works just as well as Ohno, as far as I'm concerned (in fact there are some bits here and there that are very Ohno-esque to my ear).

It occurs to me that we've now had spotlight episodes for Lupin, Jigen, Fujiko, and Zenigata (and Nyx too, plus plenty of Rebecca across a number of epsiodes). Goemon is the only major character who has yet to receive one, so hopefully that's coming soon. He's barely factored into the series at all so far, aside from sitting around the hideout most of the time. Speaking of which -- I like the concept of this series, with Lupin setting up shop in one location for an extended period. We see him in various hideouts all the time, across numerous TV series, specials, and movies. I like the idea that he might find a place to settle down for a while, rather than just a single episode, before moving along to go someplace else.

(I feel weird talking about plot points in a series most of you already watched two years ago as if it's airing for the first time, but for me, having skipped both the Italian and Japanese versions specifically to wait for this dub, it is!)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:02:27 PM by Fujiko Lover »

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 08:47:17 PM »
by all means Fujiko Lover, I for one like hearing peoples' impressions on stuff I like, so if you want to keep at these long posts please do. As for a Goemon-centric episode I distinctly remember at least 1. also if memory serves correctly episode 9 should be the Haunted hotel episode, which was one of my favorite episodes. As for the over-arching story line, yes it's very Cowboy Bebop-esque and we do get a sort of series villain introduced around the halfway point.

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2017, 11:58:45 AM »
Thanks, I look forward to seeing how all this plays out!  And I definitely intend to keep posting whether people read any of it or not!

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 03:24:21 PM »
I watched a couple more episodes last weekend, but fell behind on offering my thoughts, and now my recollections aren't as clear as if I'd typed this out the same (or next) day. But I'll just make a couple notes.

One, we finally got the Goemon episode, and it lived up to expectations. I love that the Lupin franchise tends to present two sides of this character much of the time. Usually he's a quiet accomplice in Lupin's schemes, occasionally used for comic relief as he cuts worthless objects -- but every so often we're reminded that he's a samurai warrior and that his sword was forged to kill. This episode was a great showcase for Goemon the relentless warrior.

And two, the show with Lupin and Jigen in the haunted hotel was a fun one too. Drunk Jigen was funny, the mystery was interesting, and the end was touching. So far, this series has rarely (if ever) let me down. I can't wait to watch more, though I'll be out of town this weekend, so it'll probably be another couple weeks before I get back to it.

Sadistic pillow

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2017, 01:13:14 PM »
Last Sunday episode, was pretty fun to watch. Though I felt pretty bad for Nyx.  :(

Edit: Wait, I'm not sure if anyone still lurks in the thread(board?) because most of you seen the Italian/Japanese dub(dub? I dunno. I've seen the Italian dub just didn't obviously understand what was going on(lol)), but what did you think of Saturday's episode?

(click to show/hide)

Anyone dig the new theme for the opening and closing? I didn't think they really fit well. :/

Edit 1 1/2: 1 more thing, since the English dub is using the Italian track, there's a track that I like, but I remember it being specifically being in the beginning of the circus episode. Does anyone know what it is called?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 03:09:26 PM by Sadistic pillow »

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 11:06:21 PM »
I fell behind, but finally just watched another episode, the eleventh installment which saw Rebecca and Fujiko competing both for some rare wine and for Lupin’s affections. I had been hoping to get a Rebecca v. Fujiko show at some point, though this one wasn’t quite what I had in mind. It would’ve been nice to see a whole episode about the two of them matching wits and skills, rather than that only being a relatively small part of a larger story. Obviously I’d be rooting for Fujiko in any such contest, but I have to admit that Rebecca is really growing on me.

One thing I haven’t noted yet, as far as I recall, is that I really like most of the secondary character designs in this series. The producers have done a good job of capturing the classic Lupin aesthetic, and most of these characters wouldn’t look out of place at all in the first or second TV series, which I consider to be a great accomplishment.

It looks like next up is a two parter focused on “The Dream of Italy”. I hope to find time for it this weekend!

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2017, 10:58:50 PM »
Watched both parts of “The Dream of Italy” today. The first half was great; Rebecca kidnapped, the full Lupin gang pulls off a “heist” to rescue her, we get another glimpse at Nyx’s dark side, etc. It was pretty standard Lupin stuff, but still fun to see. Unless I’m misremembering, this was the first time since the first episode that the full group teamed up.

Part 2 got a little weird and surreal for me, though, with Lupin hallucinating conversations with Rebecca’s deceased boyfriend thanks to the detailed profile of himself he left behind. It’s an interesting idea, but just felt a bit too “out there” for Lupin. And after all that, I’m still not sure what the “Dream of Italy” is supposed to be! I may have missed something; I got somewhat distracted partway through part 2 and may need to rewatch, but it seems like it’s something Rebecca’s ex came up with, and MI6 wants it?

Anyway, the episode ends with Lupin in Interpol custody, which must mean we have a jailbreak episode coming up next. I look forward to that; those are always some of my favorite Lupin installments. Also, I’m again impressed with this show’s handling of Zenigata. I feel like between this series and the “Fujiko Mine” universe, the Lupin franchise has finally moved away from the bumbling/slapstick portrayal that dominated nearly all of the 90s and 00s interpretations. Probably not forever, but at least for a while.

Lastly, Part 1 very nearly got me to change my avatar here for the first time in years. I even made a quick gif of the shot I liked, but ultimately decided against because I didn’t like the somewhat dark lighting or the fact that it’s in letterbox format. But here it is for anyone who cares (at twice the size I would’ve used had it actually become my avatar):

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:08:06 PM by Fujiko Lover »

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2017, 12:31:39 PM »
Watched two more yesterday. The Lupin jailbreak episode was everything I had hoped for: a lot of fun, with some great insight into the Lupin/Zenigata relationship. Bearded, shaggy Lupin was reminiscent of his appearance in the first series episode "One Chance for a Jailbreak", which was a nice nod to the past. And, though I recently noted my appreciation for this series not using Zenigata as a walking punchline all the time, I did enjoy a couple slapstick moments from him here. That said, I wish the writers could've found a way for Lupin to escape without totally embarrassing him. Getting out of the cell was good enough; trapping Zenigata in it was a level of humiliation I was hoping this iteration of the character could've avoided.

The following episode, involving the Mona Lisa, was very nice as well; it definitely had a "classic Lupin" feel to it, featuring a heist involving the whole gang, some betrayal by Fujiko, and a few background characters with a distinctive second series look to them. I found some of the twists and turns a little hard to follow, but that's probably because I was putting away laundry while I was watching it. Also, I was a little disappointed to see things return to normal so quickly. Much as I liked the episode, I feel like something a little different in tone would've been nice following the prison episode. Lupin was locked up for months, and Zenigata had a real breakthrough with regards to how he views Lupin and himself, and now suddenly they're both back at it again as if nothing ever happened. I can't help feeling Zenigata should've taken an episode or two off entirely before returning to the chase.

So... Leonardo da Vinci is somehow alive now? I look forward to seeing how that came about. I just hope it's not too far-fetched.

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2017, 07:10:33 PM »
I watched another two over the weekend, and I was just about losing it. The episode with the schoolteachers trying to build a bomb was hilarious, and when it was followed by Lupin's, Jigen's, and Goemon's misadventures as they struggled to make their reservation at the hottest sushi restaurant in Italy... I was laughing almost nonstop through both episodes!

That said, I'm a little disappointed to see this show is turning Zenigata back into comic relief. It wasn't too long ago that I praised the series for not falling into that trap, but the past, I think, three episodes I've watched are moving him dangerously high up the bumble-o-meter. Honestly, I'm not even sure why he was in these two; he really didn't add anything to the first, and his presence was barely necessary for the second. I hope the show isn't falling into the old formula of including Zenigata in every episode regardless of whether the plot calls for him. Part of what I liked about it early on was the sparing use of the character.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2017, 09:29:30 AM »
Zenigata's role gets around again in later episodes though he will not gain as much spotlight
as in previous episodes. But I won't spoil ya. XD

I think the only real criticism I can have with part IV as a whole, apart from the number of albeit enjoyable
filler episodes, is that it tries very hard to please everyone and doesn't try to reinvent the franchise. Such a project
like Mine Fujiko To Iu Onna can't obviously be repeated regularly and a series need to find some groove before
trying something challenging, but sometimes blue jacket series feels almost like a regression. Not in every aspects though, but
still.

However this doesn't take out the fact that as an installment of the long-running franchise that is Lupin III, blue jacket is definitely
a stronge and enjoyable one. ^^
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2017, 01:21:19 PM »
Such a project like Mine Fujiko To Iu Onna can't obviously be repeated regularly and a series need to find some groove before trying something challenging, but sometimes blue jacket series feels almost like a regression. Not in every aspects though, but still.

I completely agree. Blue Jacket is fun, but it's also very safe and doesn't surprise you in any way. Even having a couple of new regular characters didn't really change anything in the character dynamics or what kind of adventures the gang got into. I figure that the franchise has been running for so long that the audience now has a pretty good expectation of what a typical Lupin story is like, and deviating from that might be both risky and hard to do since everything has to be back to normal once credits roll.

Never gonna happen, but I'd pay serious money for a Lupin series in a steampunk wild west setting.