Author Topic: Cagliostro getting a limited U.S. theatrical release in September 2017  (Read 31032 times)

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
Re: Cagliostro getting a limited U.S. theatrical release in September 2017
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 06:04:43 pm »
So moments after I made my last post it occurred to me that I basically only want to see this dubbed if it is the Streamline dub. I just checked the Fathom trailer....what dub is that?!?! Is that the Manga UK dub? And if so why the hell would they use that version?!?!? Uggghhhhh....

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 12:15:12 am »
....that is the Streamline dub. There's only the two dubs, Manga US's and Streamline's. Are you thinking of the old Manga one being the one you wanted to see? With the extra cursing but more accurate and they call him 'LOO-pahn' all the time?

In addition, here's a sample of the interview with John Lasseter that precedes the Cagliostro screenings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0cOWf7E0cI
Came from this Crunchyroll article:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/09/01/prepare-for-us-lupin-the-3rd-the-castle-of-cagliostro-screenings-with-clip-of-john-lasseters-introduction
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:16:31 am by Reed »
-R. Nelson

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 12:26:34 am »
Not one showing in Iowa  :(

Edit: I take that back, entering just IA on the fandom site returned nothing, but entering the major cities get me some.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:17:44 pm by Rhys2753 »

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 02:56:03 pm »
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2017-09-04/pixar-john-lasseter-recommends-wooing-girls-with-anime/.120835

Pixar Animation Studios' chief creative officer John Lasseter met his wife Nancy watching Hayao Miyazaki's Castle of Cagliostro film.

Uh, it varies. Especially since anime features lolicons and creepy ecchi scenes nowadays.

Sadistic pillow

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 03:26:53 pm »
Oh wait, which dub has David H as Lupin?

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 04:14:08 pm »
Hopefully, it'll have a better print than the one previously using the Streamline dub...

Edit: Oh, and pro-tip to anyone who's considering following that video for dating advice: Ignore it completely. You will be hurt worse than one of those dudes on Jackass, if you do. #themoreyouknow
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:32:58 pm by GATSU »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 04:47:14 pm »
Pixar Animation Studios' chief creative officer John Lasseter met his wife Nancy watching Hayao Miyazaki's Castle of Cagliostro film.

This is the same clip I posted earlier. I'm not sure why ANN was behind on posting the report, other than it must've been a "Crunchyroll exclusive" for a few days.

Oh wait, which dub has David H as Lupin?

The Manga US dub (released in early 2000). The Streamline dub (first released in 1992) is the one being screened in ten days.

Hopefully, it'll have a better print than the one previously using the Streamline dub...

Tell me more! Only one I knew about was the ratty old subtitle print.
-R. Nelson

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 10:08:53 pm »
....that is the Streamline dub. There's only the two dubs, Manga US's and Streamline's. Are you thinking of the old Manga one being the one you wanted to see? With the extra cursing but more accurate and they call him 'LOO-pahn' all the time?

In addition, here's a sample of the interview with John Lasseter that precedes the Cagliostro screenings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0cOWf7E0cI
Came from this Crunchyroll article:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/09/01/prepare-for-us-lupin-the-3rd-the-castle-of-cagliostro-screenings-with-clip-of-john-lasseters-introduction

Woohoo! Thanks, that is the one I want to see. It just sounded off to me for some reason; maybe because I was on a mobile device and the dialog snippets they use were so short. While I just recently rewatched this film and can't say I am chomping at the bit to do so again so soon I can't pass up what will probably be the only chance ever to see a Lupin film in US theaters.

Sadistic pillow

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 08:02:11 am »
Haven't heard the Streamline dub before. Is it good?

Is that the one where they changed all their names?  :-\

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 12:35:24 pm »

Neither Cagliostro dub changes everyone's names. The only English Lupin dub to do so was the oldest dub of Mystery of Mamo. There's a subtitled version of Cagliostro that existed years ago (and is more or less restored on the new NA DVD/Blu-ray) that has similar name changes, but not a dub.

The Streamline dub is good and has good casting (minus maybe Goemon and Clarisse, who sounds a bit older than she should be) but its main issue is that it's not the most accurate to the original story as written by Miyazaki. The most infamous change among them is the joke where Goemon tells Lupin he "should have worn an asbestos suit" after he cuts off Lupin's burning clothes. (In the original he talks about how it was unworthy of his sword, a callback to Mystery of Mamo that would later become a running series gag). There are other little modifications, like at the climax where Lupin (called "The Wolf" or just "Wolf" in Streamline's dub--his is the only name changed) says something about "Zenigata was telling the truth....your politicians lied to you,"  which makes no sense because Zenigata never got a public forum to report on Cagliostro's counterfeiting, it was just a closed-door Interpol meeting.  And the added little bits of dialogue in the final "embrace" with Clarisse....

Look, it's fine to watch if you don't know the movie inside-and-out like me, and it's plenty entertaining on its own merits. Just be aware that it doesn't 100% accurately reflect the original story and dialogue at all times. But most of the time it's fine.
-R. Nelson

Sadistic pillow

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 02:18:33 pm »

Neither Cagliostro dub changes everyone's names. The only English Lupin dub to do so was the oldest dub of Mystery of Mamo. There's a subtitled version of Cagliostro that existed years ago (and is more or less restored on the new NA DVD/Blu-ray) that has similar name changes, but not a dub.

The Streamline dub is good and has good casting (minus maybe Goemon and Clarisse, who sounds a bit older than she should be) but its main issue is that it's not the most accurate to the original story as written by Miyazaki. The most infamous change among them is the joke where Goemon tells Lupin he "should have worn an asbestos suit" after he cuts off Lupin's burning clothes. (In the original he talks about how it was unworthy of his sword, a callback to Mystery of Mamo that would later become a running series gag). There are other little modifications, like at the climax where Lupin (called "The Wolf" or just "Wolf" in Streamline's dub--his is the only name changed) says something about "Zenigata was telling the truth....your politicians lied to you,"  which makes no sense because Zenigata never got a public forum to report on Cagliostro's counterfeiting, it was just a closed-door Interpol meeting.  And the added little bits of dialogue in the final "embrace" with Clarisse....

Look, it's fine to watch if you don't know the movie inside-and-out like me, and it's plenty entertaining on its own merits. Just be aware that it doesn't 100% accurately reflect the original story and dialogue at all times. But most of the time it's fine.

Whoops! Forgot that was for the Mamo dub. Thanks for the clarification!

One more question: Does the Manga US(or UK) dub follow the original Japanese script

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 02:50:43 pm »
Whoops! Forgot that was for the Mamo dub. Thanks for the clarification!

One more question: Does the Manga US(or UK) dub follow the original Japanese script

Pretty well. It has the issue of harsher language than the original script calls for, and the thing with "Goat" vs. "Gothic" bills but other than those, it's pretty close.
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2017, 08:21:43 pm »
You can win tickets if you want here.

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
Fathom Events Cagliostro Screenings!
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2017, 11:12:48 pm »
I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen any discussion here about this. Fathom Events is hosting screenings of Castle of Cagliostro this week and the next. Thursday the 14th it will be dubbed (using the Macek Streamline dub, not the Manga/Animaze) and Tuesday the 19th it will be subtitled.

Who else is planning to go? I've already taken time off from my evening job and bought my tickets to both screenings. I'm thinking I might hand out cards with the address of my commentary track on them to other patrons.

It's an interesting choice to use the Streamline dub. Perhaps this is due to the Manga dub having so much profanity in it that it's not the best choice to show to a younger audience, and the "family-friendly" version from the Discotek disc either not being available or being unusable for a theatrical feature for some reason? In any case, those who attend the dub screening had better be sure to wear their asbestos suits. :)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
Re: Fathom Events Cagliostro Screenings!
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2017, 12:11:26 am »
You just missed the thread, is all. I went ahead and merged the two threads in the Film & Animation board.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:13:49 am by Reed »
-R. Nelson