Author Topic: Cagliostro getting a limited U.S. theatrical release in September 2017  (Read 369 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
That's what TMS's tube claims. Though they're a bit mistaken about it being the 'first', since it has played in one-time venues in the past here.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:45:52 PM by Reed »

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
Re: Cagliostro getting a limited fall U.S. release?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 05:41:03 PM »
Is it wrong that the pessimist in me is worried how TMS is getting directly involved in so much Lupin stuff over here in the US?

I mean its good that Lupin is getting more exposure, and as long as Discotek can keep on releasing Lupin material like they have been I'm all good.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: Cagliostro getting a limited fall U.S. release?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 05:55:43 AM »
Personally, I think Conan's their more successful IP. But Lupin's the show they've had a strong attachment to, since the beginning.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Re: Cagliostro getting a limited fall U.S. release
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 01:44:59 PM »
Please stop putting question marks in your thread titles like a clickbait headline, GATSU. If TMS themselves says it's happening, pretty sure it's happening.

That said, you are correct about them being wrong on the "first" note. Not only has it done various limited runs in select theaters, it had a Fathom Events nationwide run circa ten years ago courtesy of Manga Entertainment in that whole "Anime Bento" week event. I still have the ticket stub for the Cagliostro screening I walked out on.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:47:58 PM by Reed »
-R. Nelson

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
Walked out on ?

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
Walked out on ?
Yeah, I was kind of curious about that too...

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
It was literally just the 480p Special Edition DVD with the still-frame opening titles blown up on the massive theater screen. I was holding out hope they'd gotten something a LITTLE better than the home video copy I could watch in equal quality on my home TV...maybe even HD? Maybe? Nnnnnope. IIRC, my friend and I barely stayed past the OP.
-R. Nelson

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
well hopefully we get a TRUE screening then lol. Chances I'll personally be able to see it are slim, being in Iowa, we barely get anime screenings as it is.

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
It was literally just the 480p Special Edition DVD with the still-frame opening titles blown up on the massive theater screen. I was holding out hope they'd gotten something a LITTLE better than the home video copy I could watch in equal quality on my home TV...maybe even HD? Maybe? Nnnnnope. IIRC, my friend and I barely stayed past the OP.
Wow, that must've looked horrendous on the big screen!  I don't blame you for walking out.  Hopefully you got your money back.

JAG2045

• Part of the Gang
Cool news, I hope they do a theatrical release in the UK as well  :)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin

Wow, that must've looked horrendous on the big screen!  I don't blame you for walking out.  Hopefully you got your money back.
[/quote]

I couldn't be bothered to ask for a refund. Mainly because, at the time, I didn't want to send a message to the theater that "running anime events is a bad idea because you'll just get pickier customers who don't buy refreshments." I really wanted to support the concept of theatrical anime screenings, but Manga's provided footage was just a poor choice that sorely disappointed me. If I'd stayed, I probably would've just kept grumbling over the movie and bothering the other 10 people in the theater.
-R. Nelson

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Further details.

Edit: BTW, is it wrong that I'd prefer that new Goemon movie get a U.S. theatrical release more?  :-\
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:51:59 AM by GATSU »