Author Topic: Cagliostro getting a limited U.S. theatrical release in September 2017  (Read 2573 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: Cagliostro getting a limited U.S. theatrical release in September 2017
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 07:49:36 PM »
Oh, and a different contest for tixx.

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 11:15:15 PM »
^^^Thats not for tickets, its for a year subscription for crunchyroll.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 07:06:14 PM »
My bad. I thought it was tickets, too.  :-[

Edit: Well, anyway, if anyone who entered missed it, the winners for the ANN ticket contest are here.

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2017, 05:42:45 PM »
Well, I'm on the bus to watch the dub. Got my asbestos suit on and everything!

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2017, 10:10:24 PM »
Well, I saw it. It was pretty neat seeing it in a theater with a few dozen other people, who laughed at all the right moments and generally enjoyed themselves--even if the Macek dub was even hokier than I remembered.the segments shown before and after the film were pretty interesting, too.

One thing I did notice, though, and I'd be curious if anyone else who watched it saw the same things, is that it seemed like there was a frame rate problem. Pans that should have been smooth were jerky in a series of quick motions, as if there were intervening frames missing. Did it appear that way to anyone else? I found it really distracting.

Sadistic pillow

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 10:17:05 PM »
Just got back from watching and I gotta say.The Streamline is very different from the Manga US one. If I had to rate the voice acting of the characters it would go:
Count(Kinda sounded like the one from the Manga dub)
(click to show/hide)

It was enjoyable, and it was nice it was full movie screen rather than it being stretched. It was also nice to see quite a lot of people at the theater. Though tbh, I still prefer the Manga dub. :-[

(click to show/hide)

Also I spotted a Lupin cosplayer while leaving the theater! Did anyone else spot any cosplayers? Is anyone going to the sub next Tuesday?

@Robotech_Master I did see some close up scenes were jerky. Wonder why that happened.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:19:43 PM by Sadistic pillow »

victorystar

• Part of the Gang
  • I happen to be very knowledgeable at this!
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2017, 11:37:01 PM »
Saw it earlier. Was dissapointed that it was the streamline dub because of how corny the dialogue is without the punchiness the Manga version had or the appreciation for atmosphere instead of dialogue. Some it changes the context of some scenes and how I originally felt about them even and not for the better.

In the end I got to see my favorite movie of all time on a big screen. It's what I wanted since I was 14 and I'm glad it came true.

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2017, 09:05:03 AM »
I'll be going to the subbed screening on Tuesday. I'm very excited! Cagliostro was my introduction to Lupin, and I'm so happy that I get to see it in a theater.

I am a little disappointed that last night's screening was the Streamline dub. I've never been a big fan of it, and I definitely prefer the Manga dub over it. I probably would've went last night if they went with that dub. However, even if I went to that screening, I want to see it with the original Japanese cast most of all. They've always been my favorite. I can't wait to see Cagliostro on a big screen with Yasuo Yamada and the rest of the original Lupin cast at the top of their game.

Tuesday can't get here soon enough!

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2017, 12:42:13 PM »
I'll be going to Tuesdays screening as well, pretty excited. Gonna wear the Lupin shirt I bought because of a post here.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 04:24:03 AM »
I've got a feeling that we're gonna be wearing the same shirt.

Can't wait to see the movie, though. Gonna be so rad to see Cagliostro on the big screen.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

DragonmasterDan

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2017, 12:36:36 PM »
Tickets purchased, while I slightly prefer the streamline dub to the Manga one, I wasn't going to pay to watch the dubbed version in a theatre

DragonmasterDan

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
BTW tied to this, was there an actual poster or any promotional material at your theatre for the movie? I definitely want a poster if they made one.

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2017, 07:35:45 PM »
I've got a feeling that we're gonna be wearing the same shirt.

Indeed it is, the one from Popuptee

BTW tied to this, was there an actual poster or any promotional material at your theatre for the movie? I definitely want a poster if they made one.

I would LOVE to have one as well, I'd be willing to buy the theater's copy (if they have one) since they wont be needing it after the show.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2017, 10:25:22 PM »
Y'know, I've seen the movie more times than I care to count (it's a lot), but seeing it in a theater, among my friends, in the original Japanese...there was really nothing like it. I noticed details I never saw before, and things like the final showdown on the clock face had some more weight to it, or Zenigata "finding" the printing press on live TV was even funnier...

It was a hell of a lot of fun, and the most I've enjoyed the movie since I first saw it 13 years ago.

And yes, I wore the shirt.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:29:16 PM by DrFurball »
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

Robotech_Master

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2017, 11:20:04 PM »
Tonight I wore my Miyazaki/Wizard of Oz mash-up T-shirt, and while I was handing out cards with my Cagliostro commentary track address to everyone in the showing, one of them pointed to me and said, "Hey, I've got that same shirt!" (Though he wasn't wearing it.)

Lots of same-shirtness going around, it seems.