Author Topic: A *fifth* Lupin series in the works.  (Read 15405 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
A *fifth* Lupin series in the works.
« on: July 06, 2017, 11:48:35 am »
That's what this promotional thingy-which one of the TMS people brought to the Japan Expo in France-seems to suggest.

Update: An RT from Telecom suggests this one will take place in France.

Update 2: Is Koike the main director on the series?

Update 3: This one might be a jokey response, but will he wear a white jacket for the show?

Edit: On a side note, here's Tomonaga doing an awesome sketch of Sherlock Hound.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:06:19 pm by GATSU »

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
Re: A *fifth* Lupin series in the works?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 12:42:56 pm »
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:44:36 pm by Rhys2753 »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Re: A *fifth* Lupin series in the works.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 01:43:05 pm »
Update 2: Is Koike the main director on the series?

No. This tweet just talks about how Koike is the head of the LUPIN THE IIIRD sub-series (the Jigen/Goemon movies).
-R. Nelson

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 04:36:59 pm »
This is great news! I wonder what it will be like; it seems close to the Italian show, but it could also be something different.

Anyway, Lupin back in the land of his illustrious grandfather is awesome. I'm glad they put him in France.

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 05:05:02 pm »
hopefully something a little different but along those lines - this is great News tho !

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 05:58:12 pm »
This is fantastic news! I'm super excited!

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 06:19:32 pm »
Pretty cool, how close it is to Part 4 and how he still has a Blue Jacket makes me think it is going to be a sequel, which I would be okay with.

And since they revealed this in France I'm going to assume that they will broadcast this in France first?

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 06:58:08 am »
I am joy incarnate thanks to this news ! The Lupin III franchise is still going strong and is now glob-trotting ! XD
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 01:04:54 am »
Pretty cool, how close it is to Part 4 and how he still has a Blue Jacket makes me think it is going to be a sequel, which I would be okay with.

And since they revealed this in France I'm going to assume that they will broadcast this in France first?

I have my doubts about that, since Lupin III's history in France appears to be pretty patchy.

Then again, the website is in French too.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:08:05 am by Aelia »

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 10:35:25 am »

I have my doubts about that, since Lupin III's history in France appears to be pretty patchy.

Then again, the website is in French too.

The situation between France and Lupin III has evolved since then. As you know, Maurice Leblanc's works are public domain since
the late 2000's, and Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna recently got a french DVD edition. Plus, many french animators went to work for Studio Telecom
and France has been the first western consumer of manga and anime for 20 years. And finally, the fact they invited a legendary animator and got
to announce the fifht series in Japan Expo, Paris, isn't a small thing, in terms of marketing.

I am not saying France will co-produce this new series for sure (the country is still facing a crisis and I don't know how much budget will be allowed to culture and animation by the Macron government) but it seems to me this series will have some intimate links with France, probably in the form of travelling to get some data like they did with San Marino and Italy for the previous series.
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 02:09:54 pm »
The situation between France and Lupin III has evolved since then. As you know, Maurice Leblanc's works are public domain since
the late 2000's, and Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna recently got a french DVD edition. Plus, many french animators went to work for Studio Telecom
and France has been the first western consumer of manga and anime for 20 years. And finally, the fact they invited a legendary animator and got
to announce the fifht series in Japan Expo, Paris, isn't a small thing, in terms of marketing.

I am not saying France will co-produce this new series for sure (the country is still facing a crisis and I don't know how much budget will be allowed to culture and animation by the Macron government) but it seems to me this series will have some intimate links with France, probably in the form of travelling to get some data like they did with San Marino and Italy for the previous series.

Oh, alrighty then! Thanks for clearing that up.

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 05:58:12 pm »
Now that my head has cleared from the "HYPE WE"RE GETTING SERIES 5 GJFGJVHGJUHB!!!!!!!" ....*ahem*

I hope we get to see Nyx again and would really like to see a story line linking back to Lupin I sorta like an unfinished job or something. On the note about France broadcasting first, I personally hope not, considering the Part 4 international soundtrack issue, and any potential home video release. But that's just me, and I don't mean to sound greedy.

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 02:59:07 am »
This is super exciting news! I kept telling my friend how cool it would be if we got another series, but I didn't expect an announcement for a good while yet. Since this was announced with Tomonaga present, I can only hope he oversees this one as well.

I hope we get to see Nyx again and would really like to see a story line linking back to Lupin I sorta like an unfinished job or something.

I definitely agree with this, especially the second part. I think the series would benefit from some personal stakes for the characters, and Lupin finishing an old job has a lot of potential. I'd also like to see at least some attempt at a backstory. I know it's unlikely they'll touch ideas like this because of the status quo nature of the franchise, but it would be fun to know at least a little bit about how he grew up and what his mother was like.

My dream for a long time now has also been to get team-up adventures with curious combinations of the characters. Like, say Jigen is on his own because of some personal business and Zenigata follows him, thinking he will lead him to Lupin, and they end up having to briefly team up when some ugly business blows up in their face. That'd be really fun.

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 12:28:32 pm »
Continuing on with hopes for the series.... (Aka Shower thoughts 2.0)

Should Nyx have him leave Mi6 and join ICPO and partner up with Zenigata if only briefly would be fun. Also seeing a rematch with Ganimard III would be great too. Also finally bringing up Lupin 's first name for once. "Wait THAT's your first name?" "I always thought it was "Lupin" a grave error on my part"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:32:23 pm by Rhys2753 »

Snesgamer

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 08:41:54 am »
Just going by artwork, this looks more like a season 2 of Lupin III Part 4. Hopefully they go for a slightly different feel this time around.