Author Topic: Mamo movie gets a re-release in 4D  (Read 6481 times)

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
Mamo movie gets a re-release in 4D
« on: July 25, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/07/25/the-mystery-of-mamo-steals-the-spotlight-with-mx4d-screenings

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Monkey Punch's Lupin the 3rd manga and its numerous animated adaptations, the 1978 anime theatrical film Lupin the 3rd: The Mystery of Mamo (known in Japan as Lupin vs. The Clone) is getting a limited theatrical re-release in Japan with 4K remastered visuals, a 5.1 digital audio mix, and MX4D gimmicks that will immerse the audience in the world of the gentleman thief.

MX4D is a movie-going experience that uses gimmicks such as smoke, scents, vibration, and moving seats to give audience members a more immersive sensory experience. The Secret of Mamo MX4D re-release marks the 2nd such release: Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro received a MX4D re-release in Japan in January of 2017. The Secret of Mamo MX4D re-release hits Japanese theaters beginning on September 01, 2017.

I'm impressed with this anniversary celebration. Have fun those who go to see it.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: Mamo movie gets a re-release in 4D
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 07:39:22 AM »
I love it, but some of those topical references are pretty dated. I wonder if the younger Japanese viewers will 'get' them. Also, is it wrong that I'm hoping they put Babylon in that format, too?

Edit: BTW, I like how it's rated G in Japan. Over here, it'd be at least PG-13.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:21:11 AM by GATSU »

sprak

• Cliff Hanger
    • Lupin III Encyclopedia
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 05:28:04 PM »
Also, is it wrong that I'm hoping they put Babylon in that format, too?

Yes.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 12:25:25 AM »
I could swear that link had a trailer, but I guess not.

SlackerWriter

• Stoic and Esoteric
  • Part of the Gang
  • There was a fish... in the percolator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 07:35:36 AM »
Also, is it wrong that I'm hoping they put Babylon in that format, too?

Yes.

7 minute motorcycle chase scene in the best quality

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 10:39:25 AM »
Also, this ain't really important. But the official site has a sweet enlarged and updated mock-up of the original Japanese poster for the film.  :'(

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 11:17:45 AM »
4D home release ?

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 11:56:56 AM »
4D's a theatrical-exclusive gimmick.

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 04:22:34 PM »
Trailer for Cagliostro in 4D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjGwwvmZYR8

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 01:20:53 AM »
This sounds pretty darn cool. I'm a bit sad that I'll never be able to experience the movie like that.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 06:14:57 AM »
Via the official twitter and tumblr, here's an official 'translated' message from the director:
Publish a message from Director Susumi Yoshikawa!

"Lupine VS replicating human" We received a message from Susumi Yoshikawa! The MX4D® version is produced under supervision by Yoshikawa.

<Message>
The animation "Lupine the 3rd" released in 1978 was directed at the time of 31 years old for the first time, but at the time of production, the theatrical feature animation was only "Saraba Space Battleship Yamato". Both television and manga are era of spoils of "blood, sweat and tears". It seemed that there was no way adult-like "Western-style" animation could be hit. However, I thought that the opportunity to be overseen was never again, and from the scenario stage SF and scientific knowledge 40 years ago were poured. Under the back theme of "stealing movies", I attempted to scatter the parodies of various movies so that they could not be pointed out. However, there were many finished parts which were not satisfied on a schedule, and the theatrical release did not go on as I was in trouble even if compared with the latest movie. However, this time, as a MX4D® version, actively directing the program, it seems to be another work in my eyes. It seems that it became clear that it is a slapstick comedy which truncated sentiment and emotion. I was supervised by half-trust, but it was a satisfactory finish. Please enjoy the power of MX4D® at the theater by all means.

Also, if you scroll down a bit at the tumblr link, you can see a *gasp* pic of an exclusive Mamo sticker.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 06:17:01 AM by GATSU »