Author Topic: Monkey Punch pulls a Miyazaki, to direct new Lupin anime.  (Read 19892 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Monkey Punch pulls a Miyazaki, to direct new Lupin anime.
« on: December 19, 2017, 09:31:23 pm »
Details here.

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
Re: Monkey Punch pulls a Miyazaki, to direct new Lupin anime.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 02:10:48 pm »
I'm glad Lupin gets an 50th anniversary piece.

It's nice that Monkey Punch is still active at his age, but I recall he was so unhappily exhausted the last time he directed that he swore never to do it again. Still, I thought Dead or Alive had some cool action scenes, so hopefully this will be good in his hands.

I also need to see more of what this special has planned. I hope it's exemplary and above average, Lupin deserves no less.   ;)

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 12:19:21 am »
Hell yes! I stopped by here tonight on a lark thinking that it has been sooo long since any good Lupin news came along and hoping for anything newsworthy. Personally I think DOA is one of the best Lupin films so I am excited to see his next go at animation.

Only concern is the connection with the first series episode; personally I thought it was a terrible episode that wouldn't appeal to anyone over 12 (even 40 years ago when aired, much less today)...though honestly how the franchise ever made it beyond the first series is curious given how awful that entire series is (even the Miyazaki/Takahata episodes).

Still, super pumped that the franchise has come back from the dead like this and that MP is directing again!

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 03:37:34 am »
I adored the First series !

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 05:45:11 pm »
More news about it here:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/04/03/lupin-the-third-50th-anniversary-anime-to-be-bundled-with-first-dvdblu-ray-of-part-5

Basically, it sounds like a retelling of Part I's first episode but it features villians from several episodes all challenging Lupin. It will be included as a bonus on the first set of the Japanese home release of Part V.  :(

Let's hope that who ever picks it up in the west will include the episode on the home release.

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 04:48:07 pm »
Okay, I'm not too sure about this now. I've found the anniversary specials (Green vs Red, Another Page) to be more wearying than anything special.

Still, with Monkey Punch on board I hope it will be good.

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 08:24:24 pm »
Yeah this sounds...meh...in spite of the hate DOA gets I actually think it is one of the better films and the parts MP directed (the opening and closing scenes) that he did not hand off to assistants stand as some of the most exciting Lupin animation. Have really hoped he would give it another go but this seems more like he is simply overseeing the episode/special.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 02:38:22 am »
I admit I am disappointed as well by it being a rehash. Still, it might be interesting to see all those villains
united. But just remaking the first episode of the green jacket series is not the most exciting nor the most
pertinent prospect.

At least it will give Monkey Punch some opportunity to relax. He did not appreciate his last directing effort,
thinking it was exhausting, and with reason. But if he is at least foreseeing some of the scenes, we might
indeed get some good animation.
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 05:14:18 pm »
Looks like it'll be pretty amusing, but those CGI cars.  :-\
They aren't bad, but if the TV series can stick to 2d, surely the OVA for the 50th anniversary can.

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 10:44:13 am »
Ok I can honestly admit this looks soooo much better than I expected. Just watched on my phone and even the cg cars look good...maybe it will look different on a larger screen but this looks like a good bit of fun and this is coming from someone who could care less about car chases/races/fast & the furious sequels/etc.

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 04:39:08 pm »
This was much more fun than what I expected. I guess that was the whole thing, right? Anyways, nice work, Monkey Punch.