Author Topic: Can Lupin carry off a film on his own?  (Read 17963 times)

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
Can Lupin carry off a film on his own?
« on: May 20, 2017, 06:14:53 pm »
Most of Lupin's feature film stories - Castle of Cagliostro, Mystery of Mamo, Fuma Clan, the Koike films and all/most of the OVAs - revolve around Lupin stumbling upon something much bigger than normal theft, and thus having him and his friends (and Zenigata, who puts his differences aside) take on this threat and defeat it.

I don't really mind this, a big film deserves a big threat, usually big enough that Lupin's thefts are ranked as irrelevant and he and Zenigata have to put aside their differences (though that happens so many times it's the norm).

But I wonder whether a "normal" Lupin heist story can manage to be a film. Even if Lupin does a simple burglary that has no larger-than-life enemy, it'd still be incredible by his standards. It'd be funny and fast-paced and sharp, because that's how Lupin moves.

I think it might be fun to see a film/OVA with a simple chase/theft spree story, eg Lupin goes through cleaning out a whole town and Zenigata is on his heels throughout or something. I think it might work out.

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
Re: Can Lupin carry off a film on his own?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 11:37:20 pm »
I have always thought that the idea of a simple heist story would be really cool. I also think it would be cool if a movie revolved around the planning of the heist, more than the action itself.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 07:22:00 am »
I personally think Lupin alone can work but only on an episodic level of time, like
some stories from the original manga were. In some of those, apart from a one-off supporting cast,
Lupin would be alone and pretty much the motor or the observor.

But for a full-feature film to have Lupin as the only main character, I don't know. It would definitely be interesting
but it would need a stronger plot than most other Lupin III films and specials. The less main characters you have, the strongest
your plot should be.

An origin movie of Lupin making his first steps in the underworld would be interesting but you still need a strong supporting cast
and probably Zenigata.
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 11:13:00 am »
I personally think Lupin alone can work but only on an episodic level of time, like some stories from the original manga were.

But for a full-feature film to have Lupin as the only main character, I don't know. It would definitely be interesting
but it would need a stronger plot than most other Lupin III films and specials. The less main characters you have, the strongest
your plot should be.

An origin movie of Lupin making his first steps in the underworld would be interesting but you still need a strong supporting cast
and probably Zenigata.
I did not mean Lupin solely by himself, while I think that would be interesting. I referred to Lupin carrying out a burglary and that being all there is to the film.

But you make a good point about it needing to be episodic; I can easily see a anthology film centring around Lupin and him carrying out various thefts.

EdmondDantes224

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 04:33:46 am »
I'm sure if the film was rare and valuable enough and Fujiko said something that got him egotistical he sure could carry it off by himself!

Okay okay enough double-meanings.

Heist movies are a thing.  The other day I caught the original (1960s or so) Ocean's Eleven, which is exactly the kind of film you describe--basically them discussing and then pulling off a caper--and it was actually a thrilling romp.  I also watched this black and white movie about a man who gets a chance to steal money from the bank he works for, and he does it and tries to get across the border over the weekend, all the while fearful of being found out, until he decides to go give the money back and pretend it was never missing in the first place.  It was actually really suspenseful and I kinda wish I knew the name of that movie.

Here's where I see a hitch.

I see this kind of movie working mostly in foreign markets, like the USA, where Lupin isn't AS well-known.  In his native Japan, I'm not so sure it would work for a new movie to be just Lupin and gang pulling off a caper.  Then again, I've been wrong before, and I would like to see it happen, but it almost seems at this point that Lupin's foe has to be a bigger thief than Lupin himself.

Also I seriously want him to conquer Carmen Sandiego.