Author Topic: First look at Lupin III: Part 5  (Read 49961 times)

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
First look at Lupin III: Part 5
« on: January 16, 2018, 03:34:37 pm »
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-01-16/lupin-iii-5th-anime-series-reveals-staff-april-debut-modern-setting/.126478

The new series moves the setting to modern France. While Lupin will still use classic cars and traditional guns like the Walter P38, he will also employ the Internet, mobile devices, and other digital gadgets to take on his foes.

https://lupin-pt5.com/

That dude looks like a new rival.

This should be interesting to see.

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
Re: First look at Lupin III: Part 5
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 04:35:54 pm »
Obviously there is very little to go on here, but for some reason I have more of a feeling of worry than excitement. Maybe its a bad translation, but Part IV took place in a modern setting, so when they are going on about it being modern and how it will employ modern devices has me kinda suspicious, as if that is a large part of the show (smartphones, the internet, etc). Which in my opinion could get real dumb real fast. It could be exaggerated and all they mean is that instead of Italy's ancient structures being showcased, France's more modern cities are the main settings.

No matter what, hopefully it gets picked up by Crunchyroll a little quicker this time.

Thief in a Red Jacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 04:55:38 pm »
I am very excited for this. I don't see why the articles emphasize the "modern" aspect given that Part 4 was already very modern. I suppose technology will be central to the stories this time around, which is fine with me. Every main Lupin series has been contemporary to the time they were released in.

I'm so happy that this is going to be released so soon! I was hoping it would release this year, but I had no idea we'd be getting it so soon.

I'm also very happy that Yuji Ohno is coming back to compose. Being that this isn't a co-production with France, like Part IV was with Italy, it appears that Ohno is the only composer for the series. Which makes me very happy.

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 12:47:25 am »
That promo image doesn't convey the kind of atmosphere that I like, especially after the previous one from last summer got my hopes up. Even if this turns out to be super modern and with elements of a cyber thriller or something, I hope there's still room for castles in the countryside, famous tourist attractions, the back alleys of small towns etc. that we got from the previous series. Lupin works the best for me in that kind of setting, especially considering that if things get too scientific, I wonder if Jigen and Goemon will really have that much to do.

But I don't want to let one promo image throw me into a panic. I hope the footage they show on Friday will look great.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:47:58 am by VampireNaomi »

JayAukie

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 01:41:03 am »
I bet the guy in the green suit is a Guerchard`s grandson.

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 05:47:35 am »
In spite of what ever Doubt there May Be i am Pretty Darn excited for this !

Shame about it Not coming in Feb/march But if it Means this ends up being Better as a result Why not

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 03:28:03 pm »
The modern thing is most probably emphasized to create hype. Lupin III has been using modern technology for
a long time now (see the specials on top of part IV).

I am hyped for it and I really don't have any apprehension when we only have ONE visual for it. What intrigues me is Lupin's monocle.
It is probably a new gadget because it doesn't look old but it is also note-worthy that he wears Arsène Lupin's trademark while being in Lupin's
county of origin. I wonder if the series will explore that original affiliation more, especially since there is no legal issue regarding the Lupin estate since
the late 2000's.

As for the villain, he is young, businessan-ish, probably at the head of some computer/app enterprise, hence the virtual desintegration motif. In other words,
the perfect modern "censored"hole that exists today. A good villain. I can't help but see a resemblance between him and Mister Baron from the original manga.
Tad Hoshiya also noticed the resemblance.

Also, no one seems to have outlined the fact that this series will be written by the Code Geass author. He didn't make a masterpiece of everything he worked on but Code Geass being the masterpiece of the 2000's era, commanded for its story, it is engaging! I just hope the writers will have more room to breathe and do something slightly more daring than Part IV which was very entertaining and competent but still pretty conservative.
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 04:02:33 pm »
That promo image doesn't convey the kind of atmosphere that I like, especially after the previous one from last summer got my hopes up.

Even if this turns out to be super modern and with elements of a cyber thriller or something, I hope there's still room for castles in the countryside, famous tourist attractions, the back alleys of small towns etc. that we got from the previous series. Lupin works the best for me in that kind of setting, especially considering that if things get too scientific.
This is definitely a concern, because like you said Lupin works best in a classical era, where technology wasn't so prevalent and it was him and his wits against crooks/cops of various calibers.

But from my perspective, it looks like all the tech is belonging to that other dude alongside Lupin, ie he controls tech and can be a formidable foe in this tech-dependent age. And it takes Lupin relying on his wits and skills to take him down. It should be fun and interesting, hopefully.

Aelia

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 12:00:06 am »
Honestly, they couldn't have picked an uglier, more un-dynamic teaser image for their show.

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 11:44:48 am »
Images from Twitter.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:56:23 pm by Lupus Zeniga »

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 01:03:03 pm »
I dig the slight changes in character design, especially Fujiko's haircut and Jigen's black tie. These images look absolutely lovely after the promo art had me worried.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 01:58:50 pm »
I don't dig all the design changes. Jigen's black tie doesn't pop as well with such a darkly colored shirt, and the faces show the design
is a bit more generic and less distinct. But that may be due to the episode's animator rather than a constant for the series. Anime series are
known to be animated by several individuals who all got their distinct spin on the characters. Almost no episode in Part IV looked exactly the same.

I also see we have a new Lupin girl. It is a common trope for the franchise but not necessarily a bad one. Let us hope it won't retread old ground.
Positive point, the animation' fluidity is on point. ^^
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 05:18:58 pm »
Im just glad that Lupin looks much better in show than on the promo image. Also I guess Goemon is gonna change colors from now on?

Oh boy, my favorite series is the Yellow Kimono series.

I see that they are having another token girl, Rebecca was alright, but I feel like everytime they have one they are pushing their luck.

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 03:49:10 am »
The girl in that image looks a bit young to me, maybe a teenager? If she's not anyone's love interest, I'm sure her screentime can be used to tell an interesting story. And that's assuming she's a regular character. I remember when the first screenshots of the fourth series came out and featured the magician, the ghost girl, the football player etc. it had me thinking if there was even room in the series for the regular cast, but of course they turned out to be just one-off side characters.

Lupin46

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 11:53:40 am »
The girl in that image looks a bit young to me, maybe a teenager? If she's not anyone's love interest, I'm sure her screentime can be used to tell an interesting story. And that's assuming she's a regular character. I remember when the first screenshots of the fourth series came out and featured the magician, the ghost girl, the football player etc. it had me thinking if there was even room in the series for the regular cast, but of course they turned out to be just one-off side characters.

Agreed, going off just the one image, it could just as easily be a case of the girl being a character for a one-shot episode rather than a recurring role. Regardless, I'm eagerly anticipating this series and hope we get more news leading up to April!