Author Topic: Episode 1 discussion: "The Girl in the Twin Towers"  (Read 2557 times)

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Episode 1 discussion: "The Girl in the Twin Towers"
« on: April 03, 2018, 11:27:40 pm »
Now up on Crunchyroll. Not sure if I got the title right. Chat away!
-R. Nelson

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
Re: Episode 1 discussion: "The Girl in the Twin Towers"
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 01:23:39 am »
I enjoyed it quite a bit and thought it planted the seeds for a more dramatic "Lupin vs. the World" story than we've seen yet since modern technology is being used against the gang in ways we haven't seen before. They've got something with Ami - I hope she's a regular.

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 07:11:36 am »
I enjoyed it quite a bit and thought it planted the seeds for a more dramatic "Lupin vs. the World" story than we've seen yet since modern technology is being used against the gang in ways we haven't seen before. They've got something with Ami - I hope she's a regular.

I also enjoyed it, more than I expected it to. I also liked the way Lupin now has to deal with new methods of attack in this digital era.
I'm sure Ami is a regular, like Rebecca from the previous series. Only this girl is obviously not for a romantic attraction.

I also like the new opening. Of course, the main story doesn't use this art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK9aXTnzOt8

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:16:25 am by blackjacket »

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 01:15:14 pm »
The OP art amazed me - it's basically the same as the show art, but without the black outlines, everything pops off the screen. I hope they've got a 4K version of this show to work with for a digital release because that would be a day one purchase for me.

SlackerWriter

• Stoic and Esoteric
  • Part of the Gang
  • There was a fish... in the percolator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 07:58:19 am »
It was a lot of fun looking at all the nods to past works in Lupin, just hope they don't do that all time for this series to where it would become distracting.
"You ever heard of the deep web?" is a question I never thought I'd hear in Lupin but here we are!
Overall, I really dug this episode, especially how the ending set things up for the premise.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 12:26:02 pm »
I really like the idea of Lupin III attacking the deep web and our current de-materialized, disruptive world
of informatic social media madness (where everyone truly has become a cop).
I've always wondered how such an anachronistic ideal that Lupin represents can live in today's world and now the series addresses this forefront!
My guess is that Lupin will turn the "game" to his advantage, forcing the shadowy villains, Albert included, to step up.

Overall, the episode went a bit fast in my taste with little introduction or reason for the new elements and locations, but
had solid animation, a good narrative flow, and excellent banter between the three members of the Lupin game. Goemon in particular
was fun!

Looking forward to see what is coming next! ;)
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 10:16:37 am »
Finally found the time and the site to watch this episode.

It's a good start. The intro is a bit fast, but that's acceptable since most anime fans know Lupin and Co.

Like part 4, the series explores Lupin adjusting to a more contemporary world, but this time much of the focus goes to the digital aspect of that theme. Lupin targets the darknet, the secret/illegal part of the Internet that few people venture/have access to. For this, he recruits Ami, the new Lupin girl who seems to be part cyborg. And of course, the people Lupin targets are pissed and use the Internet as a weapon against him to flush him out. But Lupin is ready for a challenge!   ;)

Fujiko doesn't do much. Not yet, anyway.

I agree with Jigen that money should be tangible and easy to touch. I also enjoyed the conversation in the Fiat about Goemon standing out too much.