Author Topic: Who could be Kiyoshi Kobayashi's successor?  (Read 278 times)

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
Who could be Kiyoshi Kobayashi's successor?
« on: April 15, 2018, 11:20:09 am »
Kiyoshi Kobayashi has voiced Jigen for 50 years. That's awesome.

But IMO I think his voice is becoming too old to handle Jigen. I thought he had some trouble in Episode 2 of Lupin the Third 5 when Jigen was shouting at Lupin. I had noticed the same trouble with Joji Yanami (King Kai) in Dragon Ball Super, when he had to be replaced. Both Kobayashi and Yanami are 85 and 86, so it should be expected.

So who do you think could take over as Jigen?

I recommend:
- Banjo Ginga (Jigen's voice in Fuma Clan)
- Kenji Nomura (Kairi Sisigou in Fate/Apocrypha)
- Kenta Miyake (Mohammad Abdul in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Cocytus in Overlord)

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
Re: Who could be Kiyoshi Kobayashi's successor?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 01:52:59 pm »
I still enjoy his performance, and I think he actually sounds better in Part V than in a lot of episodes in Part IV, but you're right that it's probably time for him to go soon.

I've seen someone suggest Akio Ootsuka, which is a choice I could get behind. Some of the dialogue Shigeo Kiyama had in Ristorante Paradiso made me think he might be able to do a convincing Jigen voice, too.

Do you think it would be better to give the role to a popular voice actor, or to someone less known? I would assume there's a lot of pressure on whoever ends up taking over the role, and fan reactions might be really harsh at first.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 01:57:10 pm »
Especially in the Internet age where almost every reaction is a harsh one!

Indeed Kobayashi sounds old, even for Jigen, though he is still a consumate professional and was
relatively lively in the first two episodes of part V.

I would be very sad when his time to pass on the torch comes but I hope he won't wait until his passing to decide
who succeeds him. I don't know if this is a common procedure but Yamada did give Kurita his blessing when it came to
replace him after he died.

I haven't listened to Ootskua Akio's stuff yet. I should. Would you suggest me a few titles, on top of Ristorante Paradiso?
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 02:05:24 pm »
I haven't listened to Ootskua Akio's stuff yet. I should. Would you suggest me a few titles, on top of Ristorante Paradiso?

Oops, I was a bit unclear in my comment. Ootsuka and Kiyama are both voice actors. Ootsuka has voiced Black Jack in some versions at least, and he was Bulge in Galaxy Railways. Kiyama voiced Gigi in Ristorante Paradiso, but he hasn't had a lot of big roles, I think.

Red Dear

• Lupin The Third analyst and crazy penciller
  • Part of the Gang
    • DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 02:28:22 pm »
I see! Well it wouldn't be too much of a transition for Ootsuka to go from Black Jack to Jigen.

Only time will telle. :)

Thank you for the precisions, Naomi. :D
Time to play the game, time to get a chance !

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 04:01:48 am »
Do you think it would be better to give the role to a popular voice actor, or to someone less known? I would assume there's a lot of pressure on whoever ends up taking over the role, and fan reactions might be really harsh at first.
I think a veteran may carry more weight and respect. Get the best to replace the best, so to speak.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 04:02:02 am by Lupus Zeniga »

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 08:23:04 pm »
I would hate to see Kobayashi go, as he is the only actor who was at the start of the animated Lupin III franchise
with the 1969 Pilot movie, and stay in the franchise till now, always voicing Jigen for 50 years, (except for the special exception of Fuma Conspiracy OVA, ofc)
while other original voice actors in the Lupin III series either retired or passed away, to have new voice actors come in and fill in the shoes.

But I do see how his voice is getting a bit too old even for Jigen. I wouldn't be surprised if the current Part 5 TV series is his last Lupin III work.
As the part 5 is quite enjoyable, it may be a good series to retire from the franchise on a high note.
Even though I think his modern best work was the Jigen's Gravestone movie.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:24:30 pm by blackjacket »