Author Topic: Episode 3 discussion: "The killers gather in the wasteland"  (Read 32326 times)

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
Episode 3 discussion: "The killers gather in the wasteland"
« on: April 17, 2018, 08:35:43 pm »
Per Reed's permission, here is the discussion thread for episode 3.

Another good episode. I like how Lupin again turns the tide in the latest crisis, by using the assassin website rules against the assassins,
making them turn on each other, while Jigen and Goemon also help wipe out the assassins.
I wonder if any of the assassins are based on characters who appeared in Monkey Punch's original Lupin III manga.
BTW, Goemon was quite ruthless with that one villain using the fishing rod. And Lupin certainly doesn't play fair against them.

Another interesting thing about Lupin in this part 5 is that he has apparently gotten over Fujiko now.
He tells Ami that her information about Lupin and Fujiko being lovers is "outdated",
and when Fujiko finally appears in front of Lupin for the first time in this series, he doesn't go crazy and address her the usual "Fujiko-chan!!!"
but just calls her "Fujiko", with the tone personally striking me as very different and unusual for Lupin.
I'm not too sure how Fujiko feels about Lupin now.

Meanwhile, since ICPO can't officially go to Bwana, Zenigata decides to go take a "vacation" there, which I thought was smart and appropriate, haha.
Next week's episode 4 with Zenigata finally catching up to Lupin also looks promising.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:36:07 pm by blackjacket »

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
Re: Episode 3 discussion: "The killers gather in the wasteland"
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 03:27:46 pm »
A very action-packed episode.

The action is distinctly Monkey Punch: Quirky criminals/assassins with guns, swords and a host of unusual weaponry. I found it a bit goofy and anachronistic, but I won't call that a bad thing: that's typical Lupin style, and I'm sure if these guys got their own spinoff they would be as effective as Lupin in the modern world.

It's very clever and strategic of Lupin to force a showdown with the assassins in a wasteland, as well as to get them turn on each other. He doesn't play fair... of course not, he's a criminal up against killers. And Zenigata is his only worthy rival anyway.

Fujiko makes her move. The preview shows that doesn't get too far though. Still, it's distinct Fujko to have someone else do all the work and then she steps in at the end to take the loot, the only question is how far she could get away with it.
But it looks like something serious happened between Lupin and Fujiko, he's not as hot for her as he used to be. I wonder what that's about.

Ami has quite a sad story. Still, it's nice to see her and Lupin interact well, they make a good team. And LOL at Goemon being linked as Lupin's lover. 

I am sick of that smug Marco Polo executive. I'm looking forward to seeing him lose it as Lupin constantly beats him.

MGFanJay

• Part of the Gang
  • Oh yeah...
    • Hardocre Gamer Magzine - free download
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:39:33 pm »
I love how episodic this show is. While Part 4 had elements of that, the episodes didn't quite flow into one another like Part 5 does. This felt like one of the more action-heavy Part 2 shows - and I love the throwback enemies with the silly white and pink-lined shirts that could been right out of a Part 2 model sheet.

zonepharaoh

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 11:28:30 pm »
I wonder if any of the assassins are based on characters who appeared in Monkey Punch's original Lupin III manga.
Yes indeed!  While I personally haven't enjoyed Part V as much as IV due to the indistinct setting ("Lupin in France" has been a total misnomer so far), this episode was definitely meant to appeal to fans of the classic comics: the Nezumi Ichizoku/Rat Clan were the catch-all criminal syndicate and source of enemies for Lupin, and nearly every one of those random goons were a classic enemy: Sherdock the most notable among them, even though he was wasted by Goemon in about five seconds rather than being Lupin's deadliest foe.  I'm not sure if they subtitled the list of assassins viewed online, but you could see all kinds of classic villains from the comic who didn't even make it in the episode formally like Dr. Furanken.