Author Topic: Episode 6 discussion: "Lupin vs the Smart Safe"  (Read 311 times)

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
Episode 6 discussion: "Lupin vs the Smart Safe"
« on: May 08, 2018, 10:31:52 pm »
This episode was SOOOOOOO weird. This is a standalone episode that seems to have been just for the heck of it, as it's so zany.
From the preview, I saw the characters were dressed up in Pink Jacket style, so I was expecting Pink Jacket series humor, but...
Can somebody tell me the weird humor is what pink jacket series was like??? Or is it the Red Jacket series humor? Because I really don't know...

BTW, I don't think I've never seen Fujiko being "cute" before. None of the real sexy Fujiko but more like a shonen manga cute girl Fujiko...
Weird. Likable but weird.

Anyways, next episode preview shows that it goes back to the regular blue jacket Lupin story which seems to start the story of Lupin's lineage?
Next episode will an old elderly acquaintance of Lupin named Gaston, and I wouldn't be surprised
if the name belongs to one of the original Arsene Lupin's accomplices in the early days,
as the name sounds familiar from some of Maurice Leblac's Lupin novels I read.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:33:28 pm by blackjacket »

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Re: Episode 6 discussion: "Lupin vs the Smart Safe"
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 01:33:12 pm »
You can watch red and Pink jacket on Crunchyroll.

Lupin46

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 08:52:12 pm »
This was fun episode, definitely neat to see the pink jacket make a comeback, plus based on the article posted on ANN, it looks like there will be a bunch of different script-writers contributing to the upcoming episodes for Part 5.

My favorite moment in this episode was the easter egg for Castle of Cagliostro: when they are carrying Lupin to the safe all wrapped in bandages, it's pretty much identical to when he rises from the pedestal in the church wedding scene.

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 02:32:05 pm »
There were a bunch of references here. Personally liked the Ashita no Joe one with the wire wrapped faucets. I just finished the first series yesterday so that one in particular stood out for me. Nice to ssee the series go back to deep serious mode next week and I can't wait!

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 01:07:57 pm »
That was a distinct change from the contemporary edgy Lupin. I found it enjoyable, speaking for myself.

I’m a little surprised that there would be a homage Pink Jacket Lupin, because I believed that show didn’t have a strong fanbase; I honestly thought that show was overly comical and zany, more than Lupin should have been. Still, since I enjoyed it I can’t really complain.

Those two brothers were like Osomatsu clones LOL. But their scheme was pretty clever though; in an era where intelligence is significant, no one would think of using low intelligence against Lupin, he was actually stuck for a bit. And it was both funny and creepy to see Lupin get beaten up by his own partners to reduce his intelligence, and he later called them out on it.

The animation was gorgeous, like watching old 80s anime comedies. I especially liked how cute Fujiko looked.

I hope to see a few more episodes like this. 

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 12:48:36 am »
I don't know what I watched but I loved it. Seeing Fujiko acting all cute AND getting along with Jigen was cute and scary.

I'm surprised we didn't get a reference to Mamo, when he zaps into Lupin's subconscious.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 01:00:12 am by SolHerald »