Author Topic: Discotek Dub plans...really guys?  (Read 52726 times)

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
Discotek Dub plans...really guys?
« on: May 31, 2018, 11:41:45 pm »
There was a twit poll  and the results were:

Green vs. Red
 34%
Episode Zero
 31%
Eternal Mermaid
 20%
The Last Job
 15%

https://mobile.twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1000549407794847744

We can't have Part IV unless we want to watch English Dubbed...
Apparently we can forget a Blu-Ray release for Mamo or Fuma...
We can't have Nostradamus or DOA....

...Instead we can have a choice of a new Dub for either an average or mediocre tv special already released or an average or a crappy tv special not yet released.

Literally I don't understand. Can someone from DT just explain this Dub obsession to me? And why we can't have the better films/shows? If you guys wanted to do a Dub for Bloodspray of Goemon for an upcoming DVD/BR release that would make perfect sense. But we can't have any of the things I mentioned above that we have been asking for in some cases for years but we can get a new Dub for forgettable crap like Last Job?!?! For crying out loud we still dont even have a release of the one film MP personally worked on! I just don't even....it does not compute...even All The Anime put out Part IV this week in the UK subtitled and even said the dubbed version would come later since fans want Lupin subbed.

Look I completely admit I was emotional about being screwed by my favorite company on my most desired release with the dub-only release for Part IV and I'm really not trying to be a jerk here. This literally makes zero sense to me. I mean who is really asking for a dub for Last Job when we don't even have the new Goemon film or Part IV subtitled? And many of the twitter replys make it clear that while people made a choice out of the list given, it was not the list they wanted. Can someone just explain this to me as it literally makes no sense.

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
Re: Discotek Dub plans...really guys?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 12:00:12 am »
Just because you haven't seen it, read it, or know about it, doesn't mean it's not happening, that there is no demand for something, or that there is no logic behind it all.

Please try to have patience. Good things come to those who wait.
-R. Nelson

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 11:44:42 am »
I love The Last Job. It's one of my favourite TV specials. I would much rather get a release of it than Goemon's Blood Spray or Dead or Alive, both of which I found soulless. And it's just anime. I'm not happy with all the release decisions either, but what's the point of getting so worked up over something like this?

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 12:28:14 am »
I love how smaller companies supposedly want consumer feedback....then moment you share your thoughts you're "getting so worked up". Good grief. You're right it's only anime. I can completely live without ever buying another DT release; I just thought they'd give two shits since this is such a relatively obscure franchise in the US with a rather dedicated fanbase. Guess not.

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 05:34:15 am »
For me, it's the tone that makes the difference. Lately, I have seen so much complaining because some release isn't exactly what someone wanted, and in the worst cases they're outright saying that the people releasing the product don't care about it or the fans, are lazy or incompetent, or are being malicious on purpose because it amuses them to make fans angry. This isn't just in regards to Discotek but also the German manga industry that I swear has some of the most entitled fans I've ever encountered.

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 03:12:42 am »
I have a hard time believing Green vs Red (which was ambitious, but fell apart) got more votes than Episode 0: First Contact (the best TV special). I would probably double dip for a Blu-Ray release of Ep0, but if it had a dub with the Part IV cast, I would definitely do it.

JAG2045

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 12:15:59 pm »
I have a hard time believing Green vs Red (which was ambitious, but fell apart) got more votes than Episode 0: First Contact (the best TV special). I would probably double dip for a Blu-Ray release of Ep0, but if it had a dub with the Part IV cast, I would definitely do it.

Based on the poll comments it seems lots of people voted for GVR because of the possibility (however small) of getting various previous dub actors to play the different Lupin's which would be really amazing (similar to how the Funimation dub of Dragonball Super recently got Brian Drummond from the 90's DBZ dub to voice an alien copy of Vegeta opposite Vegeta's current VA Chris Sabat)

Interesting list of options (2 previously released & 2 never before released), it's a shame they also didn't put this poll on Facebook as well or I would have voted for Eternal Mermaid or Last Job as I would rather get previously unreleased specials finally released outside of Japan rather than re-releases (and double dipping) on ones Discotek have already put out. However if they did manage to get multiple Lupin dub actors for a brand new dub I would totally buy GVR again  ;D

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 02:45:02 pm »
Interesting list of options (2 previously released & 2 never before released), it's a shame they also didn't put this poll on Facebook as well or I would have voted for Eternal Mermaid or Last Job as I would rather get previously unreleased specials finally released outside of Japan rather than re-releases (and double dipping) on ones Discotek have already put out. However if they did manage to get multiple Lupin dub actors for a brand new dub I would totally buy GVR again  ;D

I agree, if they dub an already released feature, I'll probably double dip eventually, but if the release something new (dubbed or not,) I'll grab it much faster.

We can't have Part IV unless we want to watch English Dubbed...
Apparently we can forget a Blu-Ray release for Mamo or Fuma...
We can't have Nostradamus or DOA....

The poll was to see if people would be interested in them dubbing Lupin stuff that hasn't been dubbed before, not what they are going to release. Nostradamus, Dead or Alive, Mamo, and Fuma all have dubs already.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 02:52:58 pm by SolHerald »

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 06:24:50 pm »
The poll was to see if people would be interested in them dubbing Lupin stuff that hasn't been dubbed before, not what they are going to release. Nostradamus, Dead or Alive, Mamo, and Fuma all have dubs already.

You know what I can completely admit this is a good point. I didn't even think about the Funimatin releases having dubs already as I literally couldn't care less about a dub. So fair point there.

I do however disagree with worrying about dubbing two already available tv specials when there are a bunch of films/specials out of print that we have been asking for over the last several years. Or even just letting us buy the more current seris or Goemon movie in a slightly timely manner other than years later. At this point it literally pains me to say as DT was my favorite company but I want someone else to take over the show here in the US.

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 05:59:16 am »

You know what I can completely admit this is a good point. I didn't even think about the Funimatin releases having dubs already as I literally couldn't care less about a dub. So fair point there.

I do however disagree with worrying about dubbing two already available tv specials when there are a bunch of films/specials out of print that we have been asking for over the last several years. Or even just letting us buy the more current seris or Goemon movie in a slightly timely manner other than years later. At this point it literally pains me to say as DT was my favorite company but I want someone else to take over the show here in the US.

And I agree that they should focus on releasing stuff that hasn't been released yet or stuff that would really benefit from a bluray release (Fuma and whatnot).
In the end though, I'm not gonna pretend to know the market/sale angle of them releasing or rereleasing Lupin features with dubs. Maybe its not very risky and enough people will buy the them to make it worth it, if dubbed; I guess we will see with Babylon?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 06:00:57 am by SolHerald »

Fujiko Lover

• Part of the Gang
    • Not A Hoax! Not A Dream! (my blog)
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 12:48:15 am »
Speaking only for myself, I’m much more likely to buy something with an English dub than not. I’ve picked and chosen which DiscoTek Lupin releases I buy based on how much I like the specials/movies, but if they all had dubs (especially using the Part IV cast), I would most likely buy all of them, as that’s a huge added value for me. I vastly prefer to watch things in my native language.

mikezilla2

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 06:28:29 am »
you dont even Konw if some of the decisions are Based on What TMS wants

JAG2045

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 12:56:47 pm »
Discotek have announced that Blood Seal Eternal Mermaid will be getting a brand new English dub on blu ray with Tony Oliver, Richard Epcar, Lex Lang, Michelle Ruff, and Doug Erholtz

LoneCynic

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 09:20:27 pm »
If we want Lupin to reach a broader audience, therefore being more profitable, and increasing the chances of more of the obscure stuff seeing eventual release, then I think Discotek is on the right track.  They've done right by Lupin thus far, and releasing (or re-releasing) titles with quality dubs only increases the possibility that it could attract some of the younger crowd, and grow the fanbase.  Sure, we (myself included) don't alway get things in what we perceive to be a timely fashion, but I think the franchise is in good hands, and we ought to be patient. 

I can recall a time not too many years ago where Part II seemed like too big an undertaking for them to attempt, and if we got just a sub-only release of a previously unreleased title, that was a big deal.  Their only dub releases were those that had been released previously with dubs by other companies.  The fact that we now get previously un-dubbed features with new dub tracks, and have two volumes of Part II out so far is a testament to how far Discotek has come.

My love for their releases comes from the caliber of them.  The dedication to releasing a quality product shows.  The packaging tells you if it is a TV Special or Theatrical Feature, the number of the title, and the year of original release.  When lined up on a shelf, they match up together nicely.  Extras include linear notes and sometimes even full commentaries.  Discotek is the right company to be handling Lupin, and it shows. 

We just need patience and time, and I'm sure the coming years will see a selection of releases that everyone can find something nice to add to their personal collections.