Author Topic: Episode 10 discussion: "Thief and Thief"  (Read 270 times)

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
Episode 10 discussion: "Thief and Thief"
« on: June 05, 2018, 09:05:03 pm »
Episode concludes the story of black notebook and the introduction of Albert, and it was another good arc.
The game of stealing back the black notebook ended with action-oriented episode, and it was a good one.

Not only Lupin III and Albert, but Jigen and Goemon also show up to fight against the different factions for the notebook,
and they sure are ruthless against their enemies.
Lupin manages to kill that fancy masked and silent assassin called Revenant, but judging by what happened in a previous episode,
I think Revenant isn't just one person, as someone new seemingly keeps replacing the previous one whenever the predecessor dies.
Plus, the word "Revenant" also means ghost in French, literally meaning "one who returns", so I think the name should be a hint to
what the assassin Revenant is.

Anyhow, in the end, not only Lupin and Albert take down all the villainous factions who are after the notebook, but Lupin also
saves and then outsmarts Albert in obtaining it. Albert has no choice but to admit Lupin won this round in the end, while laughing about it.
The ending confirms that both Lupin and Albert are thieves to the bone.

I'm guessing that these fun arcs in this part 5 series will probably connect together and lead to a final arc at the end.

Next episode seems to be another fun standalone story, with the return of the red jacket, which honestly makes me happy.
I'm sure that the next standalone episode will have Lupin in green jacket.
Anyways, Fujiko who was absent in the black notebook arc, shows up with the others in next episode, all going together after some treasure in South America.
The episode preview seems to show Lupin as his old self who was crazy about Fujiko, so I can assume this is a story from the past.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:09:27 pm by blackjacket »

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
Re: Episode 10 discussion: "Thief and Thief"
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 04:48:58 pm »
That was an interesting conclusion, it tied the notebook arc up and left things open for a future clash.

Lupin and Albert make a great rapport. Lupin rarely banters with Jigen, Goemon and Fujiko and Zenigata are absent, so this was something refreshing.

Jigen and Goemon got some great action. Goemon was especially brutal with fingernails.

I enjoyed the accordion music at the end.

Rhys2753

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 06:16:19 pm »
Had an idew when the episode ended. Ep. 1 Ami. Ep. 2 Albert. Ep. 3? Ep. 4??. Ep. 5 have the 4 team up to make a rival thief gang with Albert quitting the police. Then a movie where Lupin's gang and Albert's gang clash. I'd be so game for that.

penguintruth

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 04:54:14 pm »
I was a little disappointed that the whole political angle was dropped. It wasn't even that relevant. Why even bring in that politician if they weren't going to use him? What a waste of a potentially potent element. It's like the studio chickened out.

But otherwise, a pretty good conclusion to a good story arc. And yikes, kind of a brutal one, too. That  may be the most violence I've seen in Lupin III anime outside a Takeshi Koike joint.

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 06:27:30 am »
I agree that the political angle just fizzled out. This arc would have benefitted from being five episodes long, like the first one, because it had a lot more plot threads and emotional weight. But overall I'm satisfied with how everything got tied up. Albert is a fantastic addition to the cast because he can get under Lupin's skin in a way no other character can, and he's just plain fun. Hopefully he'll be back for the final story arc of the series.

I wonder how many arcs and how many one-off episodes we'll be getting. I saw speculation that there'd be seven one-off episodes because of the seven new scriptwriters who were revealed, but one of them actually wrote this arc with Albert, so it's hard to predict.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 05:13:17 pm by VampireNaomi »