Author Topic: Fujiko rights lapsed. Get old sets while you can.  (Read 51866 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Fujiko rights lapsed. Get old sets while you can.
« on: September 12, 2018, 08:45:30 pm »
Details here. Wanted a confirmation from ANN first.

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
Re: Fujiko rights lapsed. Get old sets while you can.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 12:05:59 am »
I would have rather not been put into a position where I was forced to buy it, but it would be better to pick it up now than have it get really expensive.

I know this can't be answered, but speculating, what's the likelihood Discotek will pick this up?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:48:26 am by SolHerald »

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 01:56:22 pm »
Not trying to be a pessimistic jerk here but I wouldn't rely on them for anything at this point. Series 5 just finished and we still don't have an option for Series 4 unless you want dubbed (yay! The VHS/LD days are back!), it's been a year and a half since the Goemon film released and not a peep, Babylon is MIA, and as far as I can tell the only thing they've done with Lupin this year is the aforementioned Dub only release and a Blu-Ray release of Bye Bye Lady Liberty that I really don't think anyone cared about given all the films out of, or never even in print here in the US market.

Would you rather spend $40 now to be sure to own something or hope for DT to step in down the road on a show they seem to have a stranglehold on releasing but now seem to have no inclination to do so?

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 02:34:37 pm »
Not trying to be a pessimistic jerk here but

Yes. Yes you are.

Feel to free to ask Funimation to get back into the Lupin business and see how that goes. Spoiler: not enough people buy Lupin discs for them to care.

Though I honestly wouldn't 100% rule out them getting Part 5.

Discotek keeps licensing Lupin because the boss is a fan and it sells enough to justify the investment for him. If Discotek was handling Evangelions and Sailor Moons and Naruto's on the regular, I guarantee it would not be worth their effort.
-R. Nelson

SolHerald

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 03:43:03 pm »
Not trying to be a pessimistic jerk here but

Yes. Yes you are.

Feel to free to ask Funimation to get back into the Lupin business and see how that goes. Spoiler: not enough people buy Lupin discs for them to care.

Though I honestly wouldn't 100% rule out them getting Part 5.

Discotek keeps licensing Lupin because the boss is a fan and it sells enough to justify the investment for him. If Discotek was handling Evangelions and Sailor Moons and Naruto's on the regular, I guarantee it would not be worth their effort.

Well, "the boss" is a gentleman and a scholar.

I do hope you guys get Part 5, getting the releases faster would be cool, but you guys put so much effort and love into your work, I'm totally fine with being patient.

Back on topic, for the dumbest reason, I might not be able to get the Fujiko set. So if you guys rerelease it, at least I'll grab it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:46:35 pm by SolHerald »

Shin Lupin Sansei

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 11:36:31 pm »
I like how you stuck it to me with your witty response and complete lack of contradicting a single one of my points! Please do illustrate how I am wrong and just being a jerk. And DT, which seem to be half the members here, announcing yet another new date for Babylon 3 days after my post is the only thing that maybe contradicts my points and in reality it doesn't since it still isn't out yet and with seemingly half the members here being staff it sure feels like a reponse to my post, lol.

If you look back at my posts here and over at fandompost I was all in for supporting DT and even purchased releases I didn't want like Red Vs Green and Napoleon and 2-3 copies of the releases that I did want. But sorry you guys kicked us too damn hard in the crotch with Part IV. And we immediately pointed out here and over on fandompost that you guys were pulling a bullshit move with the way you decided to handle the release and instead of rethinking your release plans you said f**k the fans and did it anyways. Now your VHS-era dub-only release is already being bargin-binned on Amazon and elsewhere.

So instead of listening to the fans of a very niche property you guys went out of your way to aliente us. How is anyone expected to depend on a company that acts like that? So my point of buy a copy of Fujiko cause who the heck knows what DT will do with an obscure franchise whose few fans they won't listen to completely holds.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:48:36 pm by Shin Lupin Sansei »

Reed

• Lazy Site Admin
  • Cliff Hanger
  • Site Admin
    • http://www.lupinthethird.com
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 04:28:37 am »
I'm just hired help. I don't speak for them right now. But I will say a couple things. This forum is not filled with Discotek employees. As far as I can be certain, of this forum's members, only Brady and myself have done any work for them. And Brady hasn't posted here since four years ago.

I'm sorry you've been waiting so long for those titles. Waiting sucks. Not every thing Discotek does is ideal, and not every decision they make is perfect. But I know that their "Lupin team" is giving it their all to make a better product. Liner notes, informative commentaries, the best video source available, the best available audio, the best subtitle translation attainable... they're all aiming for the top. Personally, I think the products they create are worth waiting a bit for. But only you can decide if it's worth your time.
-R. Nelson

JAG2045

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 05:11:11 pm »
Not trying to be a pessimistic jerk here but I wouldn't rely on them for anything at this point. Series 5 just finished and we still don't have an option for Series 4 unless you want dubbed (yay! The VHS/LD days are back!), it's been a year and a half since the Goemon film released and not a peep, Babylon is MIA, and as far as I can tell the only thing they've done with Lupin this year is the aforementioned Dub only release and a Blu-Ray release of Bye Bye Lady Liberty that I really don't think anyone cared about given all the films out of, or never even in print here in the US market.

Would you rather spend $40 now to be sure to own something or hope for DT to step in down the road on a show they seem to have a stranglehold on releasing but now seem to have no inclination to do so?

Gold of Babylon has now gone up for preorder finally https://www.rightstufanime.com/Lupin-the-3rd-The-Legend-of-the-Gold-of-Babylon-Blu-ray

Its a shame they still havent released the Goemon movie (even in a sub only release if it wasnt financially viable to dub it like Jigen's Gravestone)

Lupin46

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 07:22:54 pm »
I like how you stuck it to me with your witty response and complete lack of contradicting a single one of my points! Please do illustrate how I am wrong and just being a jerk. And DT, which seem to be half the members here, announcing yet another new date for Babylon 3 days after my post is the only thing that maybe contradicts my points and in reality it doesn't since it still isn't out yet and with seemingly half the members here being staff it sure feels like a reponse to my post, lol.

If you look back at my posts here and over at fandompost I was all in for supporting DT and even purchased releases I didn't want like Red Vs Green and Napoleon and 2-3 copies of the releases that I did want. But sorry you guys kicked us too damn hard in the crotch with Part IV. And we immediately pointed out here and over on fandompost that you guys were pulling a bullshit move with the way you decided to handle the release and instead of rethinking your release plans you said f**k the fans and did it anyways. Now your VHS-era dub-only release is already being bargin-binned on Amazon and elsewhere.

So instead of listening to the fans of a very niche property you guys went out of your way to aliente us. How is anyone expected to depend on a company that acts like that? So my point of buy a copy of Fujiko cause who the heck knows what DT will do with an obscure franchise whose few fans they won't listen to completely holds.

To your point regarding Discotek not listening to what the fans wanted for Part IV. I am fairly certain that one of the biggest reasons why they had to produce the separate dub-only and sub-only versions was due significant enough differences between the Italian version (which was used for the dub) and the Japanese version which was aired after the Italian broadcast. I know you said that you and many others voiced your options as well on fandompost about the issue, but here most the most informative post I could find in those forums on the matter: https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/64014-discotek-media-licenses-lupin-the-third-part-4/page4 posts #56 and #57

SurrealBrain

• Part of the Gang
  • Hello there!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 03:17:48 am »
I'd say the odds of Discotek getting the license is good, but I won't lie when I say it'll be a shame this will be out of print for a period of time. I'm glad to have the Funimation release, though I can't speak for whether or not I'd double dip for a future release; tend to be wishy washy on that matter.

Either way, I do hope it reenters print soon so newer fans and those who never got around to getting the Funimation sets won't be left in the dust.