Author Topic: Episode 23 discussion: "Just then, an old buddy said something"  (Read 1668 times)

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
Episode 23 discussion: "Just then, an old buddy said something"
« on: September 13, 2018, 01:06:48 am »
I thought it was interesting Enzo tried to make Lupin an outdated character in an era of Big Brother-esque Internet and social media.
Even Jigen was ready to retire, after that crazy shootout with the police, where he ruthlessly shot many SWAT officers.
But Lupin being Lupin, he refused to give up and kept going on.

This episode had some nice appearance from previous era, including the brief cameo by that lady inspector Ganimard,
the descendant of inspector Ganimard, a somewhat rival of the original Arsene Lupin.
I was even more glad to see Lupin and his buddies were hiding in the ruins of the old Cagliostro estate, after the flood destroyed the place in the movie.
It was a nice touch. This is the 2nd time they made a reference to Castle of Cagliostro movie, on animated features at least,
the first time being a newspaper article talking about the disappearance of the Count of Cagliostro in 1997 TV Special "In Memory of Walther P-38".
They also mention Rebecca for the first time since part 4 TV series ended. I don't think she will be making an appearance in next episode, though.

Anyways, I liked how Lupin used PeopleLog, Enzo's very own weapon, against him,
using the program to rile up several nations that had accepted the program.

Next episode will be the last episode of the part 5 TV series,
but I get the feeling that there will be something more afterwards, involving Albert.
Of course, I might be wrong.

BTW, I don't know if anything was already said about this,
but I think Jigen voice actor will retire from the role with the end of part 5 or soon after that.
If that's the case, then all the original Lupin III series voice actors would have all retired from the franchise,
as if he is the last original Lupin III voice actor still working in the series.
In fact, as fans already know, he is the one who always voiced Jigen in Lupin III franchise since the beginning with the short Lupin III pilot movie,
except for the Fuma Conspiracy OVA that had a one-off new voice actors, ofc.

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
Re: Episode 23 discussion: "Just then, an old buddy said something"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 04:58:24 am »
I'm not too impressed with this arc, since the first episodes had proven that Lupin can handle himself against surveillance and the modern age.

But LOL at the fourth-wall break from Lupin. He knows he's a star and that he can make anyone dance to his tune, and honestly I'm enjoying the dance he's started with Enzo. Everyone is waiting to see what happens.

Jigen got a really cool and fun sequence in the shootout.

Enjoyed the Cagliostro cameo at the end. I hope to see Rebecca and Lady Clarisse next time.

VampireNaomi

• Part of the Gang
Re: Episode 23 discussion: "Just then, an old buddy said something"
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 02:52:04 pm »
I'm really worried that the last episode won't do justice to all the build-up. There's so much left to explore, character-wise, that I can't see everything reaching a satisfying conclusion in just one more episode. It would be great if there was another season, or a movie, based on the France premise.