Author Topic: Episode 24/Finale discussion: "Viva Lupin III"  (Read 2278 times)

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
Episode 24/Finale discussion: "Viva Lupin III"
« on: September 19, 2018, 08:33:00 pm »
I have watched the final episode of the part 5 TV series, and it was actually a fun finale, at least for me.
It does not complete the whole story we had in this series, but I think there is a good reason for that.

But before we move onto that, there were some fun and interesting parts I would like to point out.
First of all, we get some nice appearances by characters from not only past episodes, but also previous part 4 and even a past TV special!

When they mentioned Rebecca's name in last episode, I thought that was it, but I was glad to see her appear in person to help out Lupin gang.
Plus, I never expected to see that golden submarine and Diana from 1995 TV Special "Pursuit of of Harimao's Treasure" again.
I suppose Diana went to get the submarine after her grandfather passed away.
Past references like that were really fun. If they can bring good characters from past stories,
I hope to see Clarice from Cagliostro again in some future feature. :)

Next, I liked how they explained how Lupin and Fujiko broke up. And when Fujiko asked Lupin that question again,
Lupin revealed a huge secret that probably not many fans expected.
Apparently, Lupin's face we have come to know for all those decades was another mask????
We never get to see Lupin's "real" face, but the revelation satisfied Fujiko.

I liked how part 5 ended with a bang in terms of zany action(especially when another remake of Samba Temperado played),
and the final scene of Lupin gang running on the field, while getting chased by Zenigata as the Lupin Trois 2018 theme played was a pleasure to watch.
Enzo warming up to his daughter Amy seems to be a bit too sudden, but I didn't mind it too much.

I thought it was funny and appropriate how Shake Hands corporate suddenly
became a target of the world nations after getting labeled as terrorist organization.
The whole PeopleLog issue might have ended, but the usual social media issue remains, ofc, which brings me what I want to discuss next.

Although there seems to be some story that needs to be completed, there were some parts that might be hints of more things to come.
Although Amy parted with Lupin to be with her father, she said she would see him again.
And there was especially the scene how the cunning Albert coerced Enzo's business partner Ling to work for him.
I'm 90% sure that this scene will lead to a TV special or part 6 TV series that settles Lupin's rivalry with Albert once and for all.
Albert isn't someone whom you just ignore after few episodes.
I mean, Albert practically is the one who destroyed Shake Hands corporation by lying to his superiors about the negotiations!
I'll be looking forward to see some more Lupin vs Albert cerebral battles in near future.

I'll be waiting for some good news. Overall, I thought this was a fun finale for part 5. :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:43:45 pm by blackjacket »

Lupus Zeniga

• Part of the Gang
Re: Episode 24/Finale discussion: "Viva Lupin III"
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 06:00:04 am »
That was quite an explosive finale.

The finale sort of puts things in a new context: this show is about identity, about who you are under the view of the whole world. All those episodes with different jackets showcase different aspects of Lupin (and his friends too) at different eras.

I'm a little surprised the gang had to re-assess themselves, but then again they've been such a mix of friends and enemies throughout their history that I can understand them needing to sort things out. Especially with Fujiko's revelation, which puts the current state of her relationship with Lupin in a new light (as well as the ending theme).

I enjoyed the cameos from Rebecca and Diana (didn't expect her back), as well as seeing everyone cheer on Lupin. I enjoyed hearing the Lupin Samba theme, that was fun.

(click to show/hide)

It looks like Albert is set up to become a rival for the next Blue Jacket show. He had a great setup for this show, I hope it follows through.

KoichiZenigata

• Part of the Gang
  • Stealing Japan for a Year
    • Lupin has a podcast
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 06:45:39 am »
Hey! There was one character who was an old woman sitting in a chair near the beginning the episode and she was cheering for Jigen, is she from an episode from the old t.v. series?

blackjacket

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 12:43:52 am »
Hey! There was one character who was an old woman sitting in a chair near the beginning the episode and she was cheering for Jigen, is she from an episode from the old t.v. series?

No, those 2 people are from episode 19 in the part 5 series, which involved a cool sniper duel.

Psycho_Kenshin

• Part of the Gang
  • Fujiko is super hot, Lupin is uber cool
    • My profile on MyAnimeList.net (including Lupin reviews!)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 01:53:46 am »
That was quite an explosive finale.

The finale sort of puts things in a new context: this show is about identity, about who you are under the view of the whole world. All those episodes with different jackets showcase different aspects of Lupin (and his friends too) at different eras.

I'm a little surprised the gang had to re-assess themselves, but then again they've been such a mix of friends and enemies throughout their history that I can understand them needing to sort things out. Especially with Fujiko's revelation, which puts the current state of her relationship with Lupin in a new light (as well as the ending theme).

I enjoyed the cameos from Rebecca and Diana (didn't expect her back), as well as seeing everyone cheer on Lupin. I enjoyed hearing the Lupin Samba theme, that was fun.

(click to show/hide)

It looks like Albert is set up to become a rival for the next Blue Jacket show. He had a great setup for this show, I hope it follows through.

Can anybody tell me more on the details of this spoilered part? Sounds kooky/intriguing. I'm way behind, haven't started this season yet, but I don't mind spoilers for this.