Author Topic: Now this is how you sell a 35+ year old show!  (Read 9146 times)

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
Now this is how you sell a 35+ year old show!
« on: April 15, 2008, 01:19:45 am »
Spanish promo for the first series. Why didn't we get something like this in the American ads?! They went for the limpest possible angle here.

DrFurball

• Just Stupidly Unfunny Enough
  • Part of the Gang
  • The hero of today, yeah!
Re: Now this is how you sell a 35+ year old show!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 05:48:14 am »
That was an awesome promo.  I'm guessing why something like that wasn't used in the US was probably because the red jacket series is less action-oriented.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Weird in a Can! (Updates weekdays)

mc_carter

• [Member]
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 12:37:01 pm »
That was awesome. I have abandoned all hope for the first series to come out in the US though   :'(

Geist_MD

• Boogie Woogie Loog Shugie!
  • [Member]
  • The Coiled Shuffler
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 06:51:36 pm »
That was awesome. I have abandoned all hope for the first series to come out in the US though   :'(

Quoted for truth. I think, actually, green jacket would've done better in the US anyhow.
1-888-SPY-HARD

Jd-

• [Member]
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 07:30:53 pm »
Nice promo, fo'sho.

RedTail

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 08:19:08 pm »
...probably because the red jacket series is less action-oriented.

You watch a thirty second compilation of action sequences from the first series and automatically assume it was more-action oriented than the second series.  That's not really the case.  In fact, one of my favorites out of the first was the one where Lupin is locked in a prison cell the entire episode.  It's nothing but a head game.

DrFurball

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 09:20:33 pm »
You watch a thirty second compilation of action sequences from the first series and automatically assume it was more-action oriented than the second series.  That's not really the case.  In fact, one of my favorites out of the first was the one where Lupin is locked in a prison cell the entire episode.  It's nothing but a head game.
Actually, I watched the entire series and assumed that it was more-action oriented than the second series.  But you are right, in fact, one of my favorites isn't action-heavy, either: Which of the Third Generation Will Win?  I should think before typing.

W00t! 200th post!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:22:30 pm by DrFurball »

mc_carter

• [Member]
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 02:20:09 am »
Quoted for truth. I think, actually, green jacket would've done better in the US anyhow.

I agree if they digitally remastered the film with 5.1 surround sound they would have been good too go. I really enjoy the animation for this series, just a side note.

Jd-

• [Member]
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 02:46:00 am »
The green jacket series is great, but I'm pretty sure if I had seen it on AS in place of the red jacket series--with a similar treatment--I probably wouldn't be typing this now.

mc_carter

• [Member]
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 02:55:36 am »
The green jacket series is great, but I'm pretty sure if I had seen it on AS in place of the red jacket series--with a similar treatment--I probably wouldn't be typing this now.

I don't know how I feel about that. I came on board with the AS stuff and i enjoy the pioneer dub, but after watching one(the first) episode of the first series I thought it was better. But Quality over quantity I guess, the less you have to screw up the better it is, I don't think may people would be here without the AS stuff but I dugg it more for the James Bond feel than the bad language and comedy, but then again I grew up watching manga releases on the action channel, so insert bad word here all the time.

I have no responsibility for this being an incoherent rambling, sleeping pill is kicking in.....

p.s. I still think the first episode of the first series is the best ever (imo)

Jd-

• [Member]
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 04:48:20 am »
I have no responsibility for this being an incoherent rambling, sleeping pill is kicking in.....

Those are dangerous; I'd stay away if possible.

Anyway! I'm really not an anime fan per'se. The first anime I watched was Conan. That came about when I just randomly saw it on AS one night after Family Guy. Being the mystery guy I am, I just fell in love with it and started watching it every night it was on. I'm a big Bond kind of guy as well, and just so happened to catch Lupin one night after it started airing just after Conan. I didn't really pay much attention to it overall, and just watched it every now and then after Case Closed.

Long story short: Eventually got into fansubbing Conan, and then re-discovered Lupin down the line with a subbed version of the 2004 special. Afterwards, I decided to subtitle the third series as a side project to my Conan exploits, since it was in the worst shape of them all.

Forgive the wackyness of my post as well, as I just finished a finals paper and am, quite frankly, delerious.

I like Cheerios.

Zoo Station

• [Member]
    • The Fedora Chronicles
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 03:04:47 pm »
That promo is definitely awesome.

Why oh why didn't Lupin catch on here in the States?!! :-[

DrFurball

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 04:31:43 pm »

Dated animation, interesting characters, unique character designs, jazz soundtrack, no bishonen, episodic plot, cool stuff like that.

RedTail

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 07:07:39 pm »

Dated animation, interesting characters, unique character designs, jazz soundtrack, no bishonen, episodic plot, cool stuff like that.

Actually, Americans generally seem to prefer episodic television.  Shows in the vein of Lost and Heroes are starting to become more common, but outside of soaps, serialized shows have never been as widely embraced as episodic ones.  That's probably one of the reasons why Cowboy Bebop has done so well on Adult Swim.  There's a few episodes that are serial in nature, but most episodes can be viewed standalone without any problems.  And speaking of Cowboy Bebop, that has a jazz soundtrack, lol.

Lupin is old and isn't drawn in the homogenized anime-style that's so prevalent today.  Simple as that.

GATSU

• Part of the Gang
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 09:14:16 pm »
Lupin did badly, because there was no synergy on the part of all the companies which owned a piece of it, and because they tried to present it like a Scooby Doo wannabe, when people really wanted to see National Treasure.